Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-10-2020, 03:37 PM   #1
Rich_UK

Drives: Yaris mk1 & Yaris mk2
Yaris 2008 Mk2 Heater repair/removal

We have a Yaris Mk2 (and mk1) the mk2 has climate controls and at some point in its past the mixer flap spindle on the heater has snapped, Ive been looking on and off for couple years (after glue failed 2x) to get access to the unit.

Does anyone know how to get to the heater unit, remove the dash ? and how to dismantle to get the mixer flap out?
I have a Haynes manual for mk1 but not climate controls.

Also cant find the part number either which has been putting me off taking it out if I cant order a replacement!

Any help appreciated.
Rich_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 06:48 PM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Remove everything from the front of the interior. Seriously, you have to pull the a-pillars, the steering wheel, all of the trim, the radio and gauge pod, the dash mat, etc. If you need to take out the HVAC module itself, you have to disconnect the coolant hoses and AC lines from the engine bay before it will let go. If you have a local self-serve junk yard and can spend an afternoon doing a necropsy on one, that's the safest way to learn how to take it all apart. It's not meant to be serviced and will be a huge pain in the arse to replace. It's not for the faint of heart or mechanically disinclined.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:08 AM   #3
Rich_UK

Damn, that's what I suspected, cant see it being worth the hassle of removing the steering wheel too..... tbh without a replacement part it would all be a waste of time and effort. Thanks anyways.

It will just have to carry on being too hot or too cold.

Although it does shed more light on the fact "as to why the cowboys at Toyota just rammed a screw in it!"
Old 11-17-2020, 02:15 PM   #4
CrankyOldMan

Can you post a picture of it?
Old 11-19-2020, 03:51 AM   #5
Rich_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Can you post a picture of it?
Not really its inside the heater unit, the only bit you can get at/see from in the footwell is the what remains of the 'd' shaped shaft as its snapped off flush.

The (glued in) wood screw in the middle of the image is driven into the flap (snapped off 'd' shaped shaft) which holds a worm gear on for a servo to adjust the hot/cold flap inside the unit.

I cant find any images online either.

Its still kind of working with the screw but i think the screw is a bit loose again, I've glued it and thread locked it several times over the years!!! ;o)
Old 11-19-2020, 10:01 PM   #6
CrankyOldMan

Oh boy, that's a mess!
Old 11-20-2020, 09:23 AM   #7
Rich_UK

The scratches are superficial from trying to locate the screw blindly as you cant see once you put your arm up in there.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:49 AM   #8
CrankyOldMan

I don't recall seeing anything like that in the HVAC module from a sedan that I just took apart. Might be a UK version thing?
Old 11-23-2020, 02:39 AM   #9
Rich_UK

Climate controls? - Not sure, there should be a mixer flap inside the unit which adjusts the ratio of hot to cold air controlled by the temperature knob either directly via a cable or (climate control) in this case via a servo, this is whats broken 'the mixer flap' on the the end of the flap should be a 'd' shaft this is snapped off!! it should pass out a hole in the side of the housing and the gear has a 'd' shaped hole which it pops on with.

Not found any diagrams or pictures online to see the parts