Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Why didn't the Yaris come with air cabin filter?

Seems like it would be something so simple to include with the car but yet it never came with one. I finally (after 150k miles) decided to put one in to help cut down the dust that gets into the car, seems like it'll do a great job of that too. Just makes one wonder, that's like saying you buy the car but no oil or air filter is included, you have to buy it seperately before you take it home from the car lot.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Bored?
Old 10-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It could have just been an oversight to mot install one at the factory or as part of the pre-delivery inspection or could have been an intended "extra" for the dealer to make a few bucks on at the time of sale.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
pjon

Drives: Yaris Icon+ 1.33 vvti
In spite of the housing and removable cover being in place, for some reason, not all U.K. Yaris were fitted with a filter element during manufacture.
Fortunately not too expensive and easy to fit. But it does seem strange not to fit one originally. Cost cutting going to the extreme!?
In the U.K. changing the filter is not a service item. Only inspection. Toyota dealer price to change is around $54!
pjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjon View Post
In spite of the housing and removable cover being in place, for some reason, not all U.K. Yaris were fitted with a filter element during manufacture.
Fortunately not too expensive and easy to fit. But it does seem strange not to fit one originally. Cost cutting going to the extreme!?
In the U.K. changing the filter is not a service item. Only inspection. Toyota dealer price to change is around $54!
It's $49.99 here. If one just buys the filter it's $19.99 (last time I checked). If more owners knew about the installation process as described here on Yarisworld, I doubt many would pay the extra $30.00.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:46 AM   #6
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I picked up one from NAPA for $13. Seems like a worthwhile investment too.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
jeeper5usa

Drives: 2011 Toyota Yaris
Where would the filter go? How do I access and does anyone have a part #?
jeeper5usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper5usa View Post
Where would the filter go? How do I access
One of the easiest search finds on the site. It is in a sticky in this sub-forum.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8828
Old 11-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
baseballfan416

Drives: 2017 L 3-door
got mine on ebay for $7... sure it's probably not a high end filtration, but anything's better than nothing...
baseballfan416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
jeeper5usa

Drives: 2011 Toyota Yaris
Cool, Ill try this out. Thanks for all the info!
jeeper5usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
vwhugger

Drives: 2008 and 2012 Yaris 2dr
I discovered my 2008 Yaris didn't have one from the factory either. Go figure. That was after I had it for a couple of years and decided to change it and lo and behold, there wasn't one. LOL I drive a lot on gravel roads too.
vwhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:02 AM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
I think the second part of CTScott's post #3 is the best answer.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:17 AM   #13
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
Seems like it would be something so simple to include with the car but yet it never came with one. I finally (after 150k miles) decided to put one in to help cut down the dust that gets into the car, seems like it'll do a great job of that too. Just makes one wonder, that's like saying you buy the car but no oil or air filter is included, you have to buy it seperately before you take it home from the car lot.
Cabin air filter compares closer to something like heated seats than engine oil. It is only a comfort item to keep your interior clean and reduce the amount of junk you breathe. It does not make the car last longer, or sell better. So the answer is: It's cheaper not to install one.

And I agree, they are definitely nice to have. The Yaris' seem to get very dirty though so make sure to replace them as required. Some cars will burn out fan motors if the filter gets plugged (although I have not heard of a Yaris doing that).

Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
Cabin air filter compares closer to something like heated seats than engine oil. It is only a comfort item to keep your interior clean and reduce the amount of junk you breathe. It does not make the car last longer, or sell better. So the answer is: It's cheaper not to install one.

And I agree, they are definitely nice to have. The Yaris' seem to get very dirty though so make sure to replace them as required. Some cars will burn out fan motors if the filter gets plugged (although I have not heard of a Yaris doing that).

Cheers.
I agree, EXCEPT that I think if most owners knew that it was part of the design, but that it wasn't included (and is so inexpensive) they'd be pissed off.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #15
clarenceie

Drives: Yaris Sedan
I'm just glad Toyota decided to make it as an "installed" option. The previous car, Mitsubishi Galant 02 didnt have it as an option for lower trim, but standard on an upper trim, LS. Same HVAC design, but the hole was never cut from the factory.

Overall, it's really nice to have one. Props to Toyota! :)
clarenceie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #16
Tomatogrower
The Flying Tomato

Drives: 2009 Red Yaris Hatchback
I think I payed about $15 for mine at Pepboys about 6 months ago. It took only 3 mins for me to install first time around.

The dealership overcharges for that installation like crazy! I think they quoted me at about $50-$60 to do it. Quick cash for them, but total bogus for the customer.

Tomatogrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #17
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
A furnace filter, cut to fit and duct taped around the edge, works perfectly. EIGHT filters for about $15. Save $$$ and Do It Yourself!

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...air+filter+DIY
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #18
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
A furnace filter, cut to fit and duct taped around the edge, works perfectly. EIGHT filters for about $15. Save $$$ and Do It Yourself!

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...air+filter+DIY
Thanks. This sounds easier/simpler/quicker than another DIY solution I read about.