Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-21-2015, 01:19 PM   #1
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Clutch replacement. dealer or private Mechanic?

08 yaris sedan with 200K kms, manual tranny, i suspect its time for clutch replacement as pulling away from a stop is getting almost impossible to do without the cars shuddering/juddering, Wondering what a ball park $$ figure is for the job and how long it will take., also wondering if i should get the job done at my local Toyota dealer or my local private mechanic.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
valchrist90731

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris sedan
Clutch replacement is for when you have trouble getting the car to move faster on the road.

Basically if it has a hard time going past 20mph and revs more then what's going to the ground.

That's when you need a new clutch.

Or when you have broken the whole cage assembly.

Theirs other reasons to replace the clutch but these are the only two i heard about.

Is your car over revving? When car is actually suppose to be moving forward increase in speed? That's signs you might need a new clutch.

Sometimes

Last edited by valchrist90731; 07-21-2015 at 03:59 PM.
valchrist90731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
If it's shuddering on takeoff easily it's another sign and the clutches on these cars suck to begin with. Very soft feeling. If your gonna change get a stage-1. Doesn't cost much more and a world of a difference

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:36 PM   #4
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
for clutch slip u do it in high gears like 4th or 5th gear , if car revs up more than ur going then its slipping
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:53 PM   #5
valchrist90731

Shuddering happens on Honda's Chevys Toyota's and many more on take off because of the driver.

Well that's what i seen and experience when other's don't know how to balance when taking off in first. Don't take offense but explain more.

Shuddering? That happens ... just be more careful how or when you release the clutch? Perhaps?

I could be very wrong though please explain.

Release the clutch wrong a lot a cars will shudder.

This was written as respectfully as possible don't get offended.

I never had a car shudder more increasingly over the years and need to replace the clutch because of this. I know shuddering put the clutch down and try again?.

If your struggling to go up a hill and every one is passing you might need a new clutch.

Last edited by valchrist90731; 07-21-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:56 PM   #6
Rigaud

I have not ever had a car with such a soft clutch ever. Mine shudders on take off quite easily, then from 2nd gear up I don't use the clutch drive casually.

I wouldn't go to the dealer, gonna cost big time!

I haven't had a car a car either shudder increasingly, my Yaris has been this way since I bought it. Would be good to hear others experience. Plus in over 32 years driving, I replaced a worne clutch once on a used car I bought. Previous owner was horrible with it. Other then that, I replaced clutches for performance reasons on cars that where not stock

Old 07-21-2015, 10:33 PM   #7
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
08 yaris sedan with 200K kms, manual tranny, i suspect its time for clutch replacement as pulling away from a stop is getting almost impossible to do without the cars shuddering/juddering, Wondering what a ball park $$ figure is for the job and how long it will take., also wondering if i should get the job done at my local Toyota dealer or my local private mechanic.

Thanks
Clutch shudder is usually caused by hotspots on the pressureplate or flywheel. It's a common issue on Yarii. Whether it's slipping or not, if it's to the point of being undriveable then clutch replacement is your only choice. Can't estimate on the cost, but probably 4-5hrs labour, plus parts ($250ish?). If it needs a flywheel, another $300-400? more. I would highly recommend against going to a dealer for any repairs. Their mechanics get paid per job, so tend to rush and do lousy work (I've worked for dealers before). And they typically charge more.

And yeah, to check for slipping find a hill (THE hill in Montreal? Mont Royal maybe ) get it in 3rd or 4th and floor it. Higher gear the better. If the engine rpms rise, and the vehicle speedo does not, you are slipping. Other indications are that the clutch engagement point in the pedal is very high.

Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:40 PM   #8
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
Clutch shudder is usually caused by hotspots on the pressureplate or flywheel. It's a common issue on Yarii. Whether it's slipping or not, if it's to the point of being undriveable then clutch replacement is your only choice. Can't estimate on the cost, but probably 4-5hrs labour, plus parts ($250ish?). If it needs a flywheel, another $300-400? more. I would highly recommend against going to a dealer for any repairs. Their mechanics get paid per job, so tend to rush and do lousy work (I've worked for dealers before). And they typically charge more.

And yeah, to check for slipping find a hill (THE hill in Montreal? Mont Royal maybe ) get it in 3rd or 4th and floor it. Higher gear the better. If the engine rpms rise, and the vehicle speedo does not, you are slipping. Other indications are that the clutch engagement point in the pedal is very high.

Cheers.
Totally agree about the clutch but to say we do a shit job cos we are on flat rate now that is funny.
Go for it take it to an independent shop and we will see u back fixing there fukups lol
Ppl think they save money but honestly they don't who do u trust someone that knows ur car inside out or a Joe blow looking up Google lmao.
Just my 2 cents on this... U get what u pay for its why I drive a Toyota 😁

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2015, 10:59 PM   #9
Rigaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
Totally agree about the clutch but to say we do a shit job cos we are on flat rate now that is funny.
Go for it take it to an independent shop and we will see u back fixing there fukups lol
Ppl think they save money but honestly they don't who do u trust someone that knows ur car inside out or a Joe blow looking up Google lmao.
Just my 2 cents on this... U get what u pay for its why I drive a Toyota 😁

Oh boy....maybe out your way but it's not the same everywhere. I could tell you stories of what mechanics are told to do at dealers by their shop manager. In my small town where I live, population about 1200, we have three garages and all three are excellent. Theirs good dealers and independent garages just like theirs bad ones. However it's a known fact dealers charge way more then the job is worth.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:05 PM   #10
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
Oh boy....maybe out your way but it's not the same everywhere. I could tell you stories of what mechanics are told to do at dealers by their shop manager. In my small town where I live, population about 1200, we have three garages and all three are excellent. Theirs good dealers and independent garages just like theirs bad ones. However it's a known fact dealers charge way more then the job is worth.
Well I'm licensed and I don't give a crap what they want cos it's my tech license that is in play and will not risk it.
And yes I do agree with u to a point but at least here in Canada Toyota is quite strick about how things are done.
Also keep in mind we charge more cos of the equipment we have for that specific brand of car and all the technical resources.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:16 PM   #11
Rigaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
Well I'm licensed and I don't give a crap what they want cos it's my tech license that is in play and will not risk it.
And yes I do agree with u to a point but at least here in Canada Toyota is quite strick about how things are done.
Also keep in mind we charge more cos of the equipment we have for that specific brand of car and all the technical resources.

I understand and you make a good point. Their very well equipped here and probably exceed the norm for local garages. I do industriel mechanics, ski lifts, groomers, heavy machinery, etc... and I only work one way which is the right way. If something can be improved I'll look for it.

My clutch is not glazed, burnt or worn and it shudders cold especially. I'm not a hack with my three cars. If the OP does the slip test on acceleration and/or uphill and theirs no slipping then yup it's just normal for this car.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:21 PM   #12
Exiwolfman

I just think the clutch is definitely odd on a Yaris and one main reason I find is flyby wire throttle body I hate it cable is so much better I find in my opinion for better human interaction between the car and u.
My Yaris is same in the morning I just get out of first gear asap lol and do second gear rolling stops... Lol just to avoid first gear

Old 07-22-2015, 02:46 AM   #13
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Theres no clutch slip in normal driving conditions,and i would rather not rev the hell out of the car trying to see if i can make it slip.
The shudder pulling away from a stop is recent and as i have been driving this car daily since i bought it new 8 years ago i'm suspecting something mechanical is wearing out and not my driving technique.
The dealer i'm thinking of taking the car to is Spinelli in Lachine, i have bought 2 cars from this place over the last 10 years and have had no problems dealing with them.
My reason for favoring the dealer is they will have the parts needed will have prior experience in doing such a job and will do the job according to factory standards,whereas my private mechanic while good and trustworthy will be doing a Yaris clutch exchange for the first time,will have to order all needed parts and will obviously not have any prior experience with this job.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:32 AM   #14
valchrist90731

We all didn't know that you where the original owner.

Plus if you want to save on ordering parts, there are many Toyota's you can order from. But ask the dealership if they can put in those toyota parts i guess.

Oh and let us know how much.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:12 AM   #15
Rigaud

Quote:
Theres no clutch slip in normal driving conditions,and i would rather not rev the hell out of the car trying to see if i can make it slip.
The shudder pulling away from a stop is recent and as i have been driving this car daily since i bought it new 8 years ago i'm suspecting something mechanical is wearing out and not my driving technique.
The dealer i'm thinking of taking the car to is Spinelli in Lachine, i have bought 2 cars from this place over the last 10 years and have had no problems dealing with them.
My reason for favoring the dealer is they will have the parts needed will have prior experience in doing such a job and will do the job according to factory standards,whereas my private mechanic while good and trustworthy will be doing a Yaris clutch exchange for the first time,will have to order all needed parts and will obviously not have any prior experience with this job.
I won't ever go near a spinelli dealer in the West Island. Multiple issues, maybe the Lachine one is good but the others forget it. A good garage would have no issues doing the job, it's not that difficult to do unless they lack experience.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:26 PM   #16
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
To the OP:

End of the day, as a customer take it to wherever you are comfortable dealing with, and trust. I always recommend finding one location and building a relationship with that shop. You need to be comfortable that they will do the job correctly, deal with it if it goes wrong, and will only sell you what you need. If you have that, stick with that shop.

In regard to flat-rate I stand by my statement. Having spent ~3yrs in flat-rate dealerships and 15+yrs at independents, I have no problem saying that flat-rate is terrible for customers. Flat-rate guys tend to rush and the quality of work suffers for it. Not all flat-rate guys, or flat-rate shops are bad by any means (just as all independents are definitely not good). Just the business model sucks for customers when mechanics make $20k+/yr more by rushing/over-selling/playing games, and when front-counter people basically live off commission. There is no question that dealerships know their cars better since you see the same ones all the time. I knew damn near every fastener of every common vehicle in the line while I was there, as did most of the guys I worked with. It's the flat-rate that sucks as the rewards for being greedy are too high. If your dealership is good, great! Keep doing what you are doing. But from my experience, on average most dealers will cost more and gain the customer less.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:22 AM   #17
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:

Thanks
I would get a price from both and compare. I would probably go with the private mechanic if it was a lot cheaper and I had confidence from experience he knew what he was doing. Also if he was closer and more convenient (as is my case) that would be a plus.

On the other hand for not much more money the dealer gets my vote. Although I expect his price will be shocking!

Actually the real choice in my view is to have the car repaired by whoever and then NOT SELL IT! Theres lots of life left in it. Although I see you live in Canada where winters are harsh and the roads well salted...
Old 07-24-2015, 12:36 AM   #18
fourbangingfun

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I'm having the same issues with my 07 sedan at 153k miles. Shuddering when blending throttle and clutch in 1st gear. Wicked annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fourbangingfun is offline   Reply With Quote