Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-30-2010, 12:44 AM   #1
lauren24

Drives: Yaris Hatchback 06
2006 Yaris Hatchback Replacing Stereo Head Unit help

Hey guys new to the forums,

I have a 2006 Yaris Hatchback and wish to replace the head unit with a Pioneer double din unit (Avh-3200).

End result i want to achieve is much similar to this threads 11th post

I have come across some useful threads that lay out what is ahead of me in terms of removing the deck and and getting a different one in.

This thread has pictures of how my console looks (three knobs down the middle) and my original radio.

So i know that replacing the radio is easy, but i have the following hesitations:

1) When replacing the radio with the aftermarket head unit, are there any wiring diagrams i can use or wire harnesses available to help me connect the unit? I noticed that in the previous thread it mentioned there was a wiring adapter for the harness, im struggling to find any to make the job easier.

2) Do i need mounting brackets? or can i use the existing ones that came with the original radio. By measurement it seems that the pioneer unit is not as wide as the slot that the original radio is in.

If there is anything else i need to know when replacing the unit please let me know, this is my first radio install!

Thanks,

Lauren
lauren24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:13 AM   #2
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
Well, First I'd research what units can replace the unit with adapting hardware. Some don't have any adaptation capabilities, so you may not be able to, without having some MacGyver skills. The unit's manufacturer also has wiring adapters to have their units installable in various vehicles. Go to a stereo shop and ask the sales person what there is in the line of available hu's for your car, and then make a decision on what you want to get, and if E-bay or whomever your source can supply you with that model HU. There are a myriad of different mountings with hu's and there are also many universally adaptable ones as well. You'll just have to do the research as to the unit you want, and its adaptability with your vehicle. - short answer (yes you'll need mounting brackets originals are not removable from the unit's chassis) Every NEW unit I've seen,
had installation instructions in the box. Lastly, you need to make sure that the trim adapting will be EXACTLY LISTED for your unit and the model of your vehicle, or the final product will not look like how you want/expect it to!
Good Luck, and . . . . Happy Moding!
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
lauren24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobolinko View Post
Well, First I'd research what units can replace the unit with adapting hardware.
Some don't have any adaptation capabilities, so you may not be able to, without having some MacGyver skills. The unit's manufacturer also has wiring adapters to have their units installable in various vehicles.
Go to a stereo shop and ask the sales person what there is in the line of available hu's for your car, and then make a decision on what you want to get, and if E-bay or whomever your source can supply you with that model HU. There are a myriad of different mountings with hu's and there are also many universally adaptable ones as well.
You'll just have to do the research as to the unit you want, and its adaptability with your vehicle. - short answer (yes you'll need mounting brackets originals are not removable from the unit's chassis) Every NEW unit I've seen,
had installation instructions in the box.
Lastly, you need to make sure that the trim adapting will be EXACTLY LISTED for your unit and the model of your vehicle, or the final product will not look like how you want/expect it to!
Good Luck, and . . . . Happy Moding!

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Could you please clarify what you mean by "Some don't have adaptation capabilities"? .. My thoughts were that you can replace the head unit (same one as above photo) with any double din unit, providing it fits.

Also, by brackets, i noticed a few brackets are available for 2007 models, unfortunately i have the 2006, not sure what to do/whether i actually need brackets.

Last of all, what do you mean by "you need to make sure that the trim adapting will be EXACTLY LISTED for your unit and the model of your vehicle"
.. is that just the colour matching the rest of the dash?

Sorry i might sound a bit dumb on this topic, new to the whole stereo modding game.

By the way, I wish to purchase a Pioneer AVH 3200 double din Head unit. It measures up to fit, just might be a bit of a gap on the sides (width wise)

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
What you need is:

Trim wise:

Metra 95-8202 - Double Din kit for Toyota Yaris (basically two filler pieces for the sides)
or
The European true Double DIN replacement trim:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ighlight=180mm

Wiring wise:

Metra 70-1761 wiring harness (plugs into the Factory radio connector and then has wires which you match to the ones on the harness that came with your radio). There are also ones which are specific to radio manufacturers, which have a car specific end and a radio specific end, so you don't have to do the connections.

Bracket Wise:

You will reuse the ones that your factory radio are mounted with. You may have to grind or hammer down the alignment "bumps" on the bracket to allow your radio to be mounted at the proper depth (with the geometry of the factory radio, it sits out a bit further than most aftermarket ones want to).
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
lauren24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
What you need is:

Trim wise:

Metra 95-8202 - Double Din kit for Toyota Yaris (basically two filler pieces for the sides)
or
The European true Double DIN replacement trim:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ighlight=180mm

Wiring wise:

Metra 70-1761 wiring harness (plugs into the Factory radio connector and then has wires which you match to the ones on the harness that came with your radio). There are also ones which are specific to radio manufacturers, which have a car specific end and a radio specific end, so you don't have to do the connections.

Bracket Wise:

You will reuse the ones that your factory radio are mounted with. You may have to grind or hammer down the alignment "bumps" on the bracket to allow your radio to be mounted at the proper depth (with the geometry of the factory radio, it sits out a bit further than most aftermarket ones want to).

exactly what i wanted to know, thanks for this!

Ive purchased this wiring harness, http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=400132268773 from ebay, i was confident this was going to work fine due to Yaris 99 and onwards description.

and just acquired the metra kit, http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=370186437538 here ..

hope these are the right parts, please let me know if i got it wrong.

thanks!
Old 06-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren24 View Post
exactly what i wanted to know, thanks for this!

Ive purchased this wiring harness, http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=400132268773 from ebay, i was confident this was going to work fine due to Yaris 99 and onwards description.

and just acquired the metra kit, http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=370186437538 here ..

hope these are the right parts, please let me know if i got it wrong.

thanks!
The trim kit is fine. The harness that you bought is Toyota to ISO. If your new radio doesn't use the ISO connectors, then you will either have to snip those and wire to the radio's harness or get an ISO to Pioneer adapter.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:18 AM   #7
lauren24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The trim kit is fine. The harness that you bought is Toyota to ISO. If your new radio doesn't use the ISO connectors, then you will either have to snip those and wire to the radio's harness or get an ISO to Pioneer adapter.
hey thanks for letting me know that, although im not sure what ISO is? I hope to get the AVH3200 Pioneer deck, would that work with the harness?

here is a description of the unit http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/29...uch_Scren.html

Either way i will probably have to follow your advice and snip/wire them to the radios harness.

more importantly will the harness i bought work? Or would i need a different one.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:58 AM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
hey thanks for letting me know that, although im not sure what ISO is? I hope to get the AVH3200 Pioneer deck, would that work with the harness?

here is a description of the unit http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/29...uch_Scren.html

Either way i will probably have to follow your advice and snip/wire them to the radios harness.

more importantly will the harness i bought work? Or would i need a different one.
The harness is fine, but you probably will have to snip the ISO connectors, as I don't think that too many radios use those connectors.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #9
lauren24

Phew, thats great news. I was getting a little worried i purchased the wrong harness. Alright, now to get the head unit and get this to work.

btw: i know you've told me to snip it, can't i just leave the other connector loose/hanging?

thanks for the help, appreciate it.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Phew, thats great news. I was getting a little worried i purchased the wrong harness. Alright, now to get the head unit and get this to work.

btw: i know you've told me to snip it, can't i just leave the other connector loose/hanging?

thanks for the help, appreciate it.
Sure, you could leave it hanging and splice onto the wires, but it would be cleaner to snip them and either butt splice or solder/shrink tube them.

Splice.jpg
Old 07-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #11
lauren24

one last thing before i forget (last question i promise haha),

i know these new dvd decks require you to have the handbrake up for watching dvds... is there a separate connector for the handbrake that i need to wire up? if so where should i look.
thank you again.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:13 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
one last thing before i forget (last question i promise haha),

i know these new dvd decks require you to have the handbrake up for watching dvds... is there a separate connector for the handbrake that i need to wire up? if so where should i look.
thank you again.

There is a connector on the base of the e-brake with a single wire.

Here's a better solution for your radio (to bypass the lock out):

the pioneer's bypass can be accomplished by connecting a regular automotive relay: pins 85 & 30 -> ground, 86 -> remote turn-on, 87 -> green parking brake wire