Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
hid hi/low. question on using high beam for DRL!

just curious if someone is using hi beam on ur hid bixenon for DRL!.. more on the canadian side question..does that affect the life of the actual hid bulb.. thanks
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
life of the HID depends whether you have crappy HID's w/ halogen high beams, or whether you have bixenon HID's

the ones i sell/use have a mechanical bulb to switch between high and low beams. i wouldnt think it's a good idea to run them all the time

if you have an HID kit with halogen high beams, you could likely just swtich the tabs of the high and low wiring on your H4 connector, but then if you want your hid's, you'd have to turn on your high beams...
Old 06-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
marcus
toyota

i was just gonna use high beam halogen as daytime light.. coz if i switch wire and having hid on high beam automatically turns off my fogs..

by the way what kind of bulb is the halogen on the dual bulb hid.. tried researching it i cant find the answer

Last edited by marcus; 06-15-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

its integral w/ the hid bulb, so no bulb type

dude, ill sell you an hid kit that'll function as your drl's...itll run hids @ full strength all the time, but i do it on my aveo w/o issue....and itll be bixenon w/ hid hi/lo
Old 06-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
marcus
toyota

i was thinking of bixenon..theyre pretty cheap nowadays..but i read that our highbeam indicator will either be on the whole time or wont turn on at all i forget which one.plus running hid during daytime?? might as well go with single bulb hid.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
i was thinking of bixenon..theyre pretty cheap nowadays..but i read that our highbeam indicator will either be on the whole time or wont turn on at all i forget which one.plus running hid during daytime?? might as well go with single bulb hid.
the high beam indicator doesnt work with an HID kit

there is a fix on yarisworld.com or microimageonline.com somewhere done by CTScott, iirc.

don't waste your time with single bulb HID's. you know you lose your high beam completely, right? as in the light shuts off....no power as there is no wiring to the high beams slot, just low beams.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
you're a jerk if you think you wanna run high's all the time. even during the day high beams are bright. if you wanna run head to head i'll put my jeep on u with my 4 150w hid rally lights, hi/lo hid and with my bumper lights. you think lights arent bright just because it's daytime...yeah right.

if you want to run DRL make it low beam and save yourself tickets and road rage issues.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
you're a jerk if you think you wanna run high's all the time. even during the day high beams are bright. if you wanna run head to head i'll put my jeep on u with my 4 150w hid rally lights, hi/lo hid and with my bumper lights. you think lights arent bright just because it's daytime...yeah right.

if you want to run DRL make it low beam and save yourself tickets and road rage issues.
or forum rage issues, christ
Old 06-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
marcus
toyota

im actually refering to high beam halogen not hid.. i tried my high beams on daytime..its barely noticeable that i was on high ..

Last edited by marcus; 06-15-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #10
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
im actually referring to high beam halogen not hid.. i tried my high beams on daytime..its barely noticeable that i was on high ..
imo, just get a bixenon kit to run as drl's
Old 06-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #11
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
or forum rage issues, christ
no not rage issues...just idiot issues. DRLs in most cases are low beams, and it's that way for a reason...second, if it's not low beam it's a designated driving light like a signal lamp or in case of saturn extra bulbs and lenses...again for a reason.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #12
thebarber
daily driver

the "high" beams that are halogens on HID bulbs where the HID is a low beam and the halogen is a high beam are super dim....like a low beam, in fact.

running the halogen "high" beam as a drl likely wouldnt be an issue brightness-wise
Old 06-16-2010, 12:05 AM   #13
marcus
toyota

thats what i figured.. just really hate to run hids on day time.. hope those halogen last as long as stock i may need to change it before i plug it in..
Old 06-16-2010, 12:49 AM   #14
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
The HID's will work fine but the ballasts or the bulbs may go faster than expected, I recommend to make fogs DRL with H11 LED bulbs, I have V-LED's and they are very powerful. It looks really cool and looks bright enough to be seen from far.
I’m not sure if it’s legal to run LED's in the foglights in Canada but it shouldn’t be since many new Mercedes have them in the same location.

Last edited by Lucas13; 06-16-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:21 AM   #15
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
just really hate to run hids on day time..
why?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #16
nick.dollimount
Yaris = <3

Drives: '08 Sedan - Flint Mica
Check this post below to fix the high-beam indicator issue. It's really simple to do.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=20
==============================
Debadged Rear; Blue Interior Styling; Toyota Sports Pedals; AM Exhaust Tip; OEM Spoiler; Upgraded Speakers; Sony Xplod BT 2600 Deck; Infinity Basslink SUB/AMP in Trunk; 16" Konig Rims; 6000k HID Bi-Xenons; 6000k HID Fogs; NST Short Shifter
==============================
nick.dollimount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #17
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
no not rage issues...just idiot issues. DRLs in most cases are low beams, and it's that way for a reason...second, if it's not low beam it's a designated driving light like a signal lamp or in case of saturn extra bulbs and lenses...again for a reason.
Cute kid.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:04 PM   #18
marcus
toyota

thanks guys i think i will go with bi xenon as barber suggested.. i can always run them bright leds as drl... and i did see the post about the capacitor to fix the high beam indicator light..that was pretty cool and probably just cost be 2 bucks for the fix... although i did ran into a dealer who told me that those mechanical solenoid/magnetic bi xenon does tend to seize over short period of time..that kinna worries me. losing my high beams..kinna waste of money to spend it on bixenon..

NOW WHERE CAN I BUY A BI XENON FOR A $100.00 BUCKS..