Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
Spring Noises

So I just installed a set of Ksport springs on my sedan and absolutely love the drop and the car handles beautifully through corners. I have had the springs on now for about 2 weeks and recently I have noticed the car making strange sounds.

The springs make like a very slight and subtle knocking noise that I associated with the compression of the now stiffer tighter springs. However, starting about 4 days ago I have started to notice a very loud and horrid sounding knocking noise more of like a popping noise actually. It is in direct correlation with spring travel and am wondering what this could be. I only notice it on the driver's side and it only happens when the strut moves in the upward position.

I have researched this and I hear it could be everything from installation issues to a bad sway bar link to bad bumpstops so I cannot find a definitive answer. I did cut my bumpstops during install and I have not gotten my alignment yet but don't know if that could even cause what I am hearing.
Also I do have the same issue as everyone else of my strut hat not sitting flush with the body but again I have heard this is common.

I am alarmed at this sound as I don't want something detrimental happening to my car. If it is normal for drops then I do not really care. I tried looking around my wheel well and I dont see any damage to the tire or wheel well liner so I don't think it is making contact and producing that noise not to mention the one or two times it has rubbed the noise has been much different.

The Ksports are notorious for being low and soft and Im wondering if I need to purchase some struts to make the suspension even stiffer and reduce the spring travel. If anyone could provide any insight as to what the problem may be or how I can fix it, it would be greatly appreciated thank you.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
Form>Function

anyone please?

Old 01-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
boo boo

Drives: YARIS SEDAN
i'm hearing the same sound.. only on the driver side. :(
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
ciscobear

Drives: Toyota Belta
Just shooting in the air here, did your springs come with insulators? My Teins came with them installed to keep any noise down.
ciscobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
JTDBT903

Drives: '08 SEDAN 5 SPD.
You might be farting!

Seriously, go here and read #142.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
Check with who installed your kit. Probably the Coil Spring is not tighten as it should thus creating these noises!

Check this document from D2 Racing http://www.d2racingsport.com/technical.htm
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
Form>Function

I was able to find out the root of the issue. When raising the car on jacks the suspension hangs on the sway link a little so it looks tight and there is no slack. When leaving the car on the ground with the suspension fully loaded and turning the wheel outside I was able to get to the sway bar link and notice that the bolts holding the sway bar link were loose. I tightened them and now there is no noise. Thanks for the assistance though.