Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-24-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
RTW YARIS

Drives: 4x4 EGG
Automatic owners, rough downshifts?

I havent had my Yaris long, and cant complain about anything except one thing in particular. With the automatic transmission, sometimes when coasting (especially noticable on downhill/declines) the transmission likes to downshift at seemingly odd times. I notice a lot of the time it will happen while coasting downhill and I very lightly begin to tap the brake. Its almost as if as soon as I touch the pedal, the transmission will drop a gear, thinking I am slowing down or coming to a stop even though I havent slowed down much, if at all. This results in the RPM coming up a lot higher than they normally would be while driving at that speed (not so much so that its banging off the rev limiter or anything, but its noticable). Anyone else experience something like this?
'07 Yaris LB
RTW YARIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
staticorex

Drives: Sc'd Yaris Sedan.
Yeah it's a fuel saving thing or something. Been discussed. Try searching. :)
Old 08-24-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
RTW YARIS

pretty sure this isnt related to fuel saving. how is it saving fuel if I touch the brake and it revs to the moon?

Im not talking about the noticable "on/off" feeling you get with very light throttle input with the drive by wire system...
'07 Yaris LB
Old 08-24-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
well sounds like your a "know it all", so go away...
Old 08-24-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
.................."revs to the moon"
Old 08-24-2007, 07:46 PM   #6
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
Here's a "fix" if you want to coast down the hill. Flick it to N and the back into D quickly (EDIT: should read shift from D to 3 and back again quickly). It'd shift back up. It's just downshifting because obviously the automatic transmission can't read your mind and doesn't have eyes. It happens to all new electronic controlled transmission coming out. Just to help control/maintain the speed as opposed to coasting freely down a hill... more so safety related than anything else.

It is saving fuel because your engine will not use fuel to keep it running. The momentum you have going down the hill is sufficient for the engine to keep spinning at high revs without fuel. Next time you drive a car with an instantaneous fuel consumption gauge on it, try it. It'd read 0.0L/100km. (or 99.9MPG in your case).

Last edited by SmellyTofu; 08-25-2007 at 07:54 AM.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:09 PM   #7
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
read up this:

DFCO

and it should clear up a few things

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:19 PM   #8
RTW YARIS

for you slow people, keyword ROUGH downshifts.

etimago, thanks for the link. I understand the concept of DFCO, Im just curious if its doing so a little more roughly than normal. Sometimes its a pretty solid surge and not consistent so it doesnt feel right. I was curious if anyone elses was "revving to the moon" like mine.
'07 Yaris LB
Old 08-24-2007, 09:34 PM   #9
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Well I can't be exactly sure for the automatic, but I know in mine you can feel a bit a a jerk as the DFCO is activated.

But I think SmellyTofu is right in saying that this is just the way the auto transmission works. It's a pretty clever system but it has its limitations.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:41 PM   #10
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTW YARIS View Post
for you slow people, keyword ROUGH downshifts.

etimago, thanks for the link. I understand the concept of DFCO, Im just curious if its doing so a little more roughly than normal. Sometimes its a pretty solid surge and not consistent so it doesnt feel right. I was curious if anyone elses was "revving to the moon" like mine.
you said ...when you touch the brake... the car..... "revs to the moon"

tee hee hee
Old 08-24-2007, 10:25 PM   #11
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
I manually shift down sometimes to assure DFCO kicks in....which IMO is sometimes rougher than what you're talking about (the ECU doing it). I do it manually because the ECU version requires the proper circumstances, and is a little more erratic. Try a none DFCO car....shift down with you foot off the accelerator, it will probably be rough too.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:52 AM   #12
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
What exactly doe's "to the moon" mean? Do you have an RPM gauge? Yes, it is normal for the auto to downshift on a hill if you touch the brake, but a single gear downshift hardly revs the engine to the moon. Unless yours is defective and downshifting harsher than normal, it's normal and nothing to worry about.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:59 AM   #13
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
read up this:

DFCO

and it should clear up a few things
I didn't read all the link, but yes, it's one thing most EFI systems use to reduce emissions. It's not a new thing. I know it's been around for decades... my old 90's Camry 3SFE engine had it but had a set rev of 1700rpm and above, it will cut the fuel line and utilise the momentum of the car whenever the throttle is closed. Uphill or downhill.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:10 AM   #14
W.A.S.P
I love my Yaris!

Drives: White Yaris Liftback 2 Dr. AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTW YARIS View Post
I havent had my Yaris long, and cant complain about anything except one thing in particular. With the automatic transmission, sometimes when coasting (especially noticable on downhill/declines) the transmission likes to downshift at seemingly odd times. I notice a lot of the time it will happen while coasting downhill and I very lightly begin to tap the brake. Its almost as if as soon as I touch the pedal, the transmission will drop a gear, thinking I am slowing down or coming to a stop even though I havent slowed down much, if at all. This results in the RPM coming up a lot higher than they normally would be while driving at that speed (not so much so that its banging off the rev limiter or anything, but its noticable). Anyone else experience something like this?
Hahaha! Sorry for the "off topic" but are you a fan of Suicide Girls?

W.A.S.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:52 PM   #15
CompanyXPaladin

Drives: 08 Yaris 5-speed
Wow.. I feel like a nub. I never knew about DFCO, and I'd like to think I'm pretty car savvy. This also makes me feel dumb for leaving my car in neutral while decelerating; it sounds like it'd actually be more fuel efficient to leave it in gear. Learn something new every day.

That said, get a manual tranny! lol
CompanyXPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:45 AM   #16
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

Drives: 2009 Black Pearl Sand 3Dr
I know exactly what you're talking about. The 40-50mph down shift that sometimes hits pretty hard if you take your foot off of the gas, and you can hear the engine rev pretty high on the down shift. It can be a bit annoying, and part of the reason why I hate auto transmissions.

I don't know if it's DFCO though or just really hard downshifting.
Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote