Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-07-2010, 12:52 AM   #1
JerseyJeff84

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
What's the best window cleaner? I'm frustrated....

I don't know about other Yaris owners, but no matter how many times I wash, dry, scrub, etc. my windshield and mirrors, they end up extremely spotty and/or dirty a day or two later.

I've researched various products and stopped using Windex because I heard that wasn't good. I started using "Invisible Glass," which doesn't really do much either and was also told to try Rain-X glass cleaner spray which I'm afraid to waste money on.

My biggest gripe is the corners of the windshield(the parts the wipers can't reach) and my driver's side mirror. Both constantly get spotty on me. Any suggestions?
JerseyJeff84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Invisible glass works for me. Somehow I think you aren't getting all the water during the dry process. If you haven't got a way to get the water not seen in the cracks and crevices, it will find its way out onto those areas you dried. Even so, a shot of Invisible glass with a Microfiber should erase the spots.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
JetfireK

Drives: 2008 3 Dr Liftback
Removing water spots from auto glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJeff84 View Post
I don't know about other Yaris owners, but no matter how many times I wash, dry, scrub, etc. my windshield and mirrors, they end up extremely spotty and/or dirty a day or two later.

I've researched various products and stopped using Windex because I heard that wasn't good. I started using "Invisible Glass," which doesn't really do much either and was also told to try Rain-X glass cleaner spray which I'm afraid to waste money on.

My biggest gripe is the corners of the windshield(the parts the wipers can't reach) and my driver's side mirror. Both constantly get spotty on me. Any suggestions?
Mix half white distilled vinegar with half water. Use a micro rag and go in circular motion....will take a lot of elbow grease but eventually glass will be perfectly void of water spotting........I know you wanted more than this but possibly this will clean your glass...certainly can't hurt it...
JetfireK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
When I detail mine, or any car, I also buff the glass and I do it AGRESSIVELY ! After that, anytime I clean the glass I use Invisible Glass Cleaner (which leaves a waxlike surface) and the glass is Very, Very, easy to clean and with SUPERB results. There are never any water spots, and there is also no dull area where the wipers never pass over. IMHO it looks and acts like fresh-from-the-showroom glass. Always........
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
jstantherprsn

Drives: 01 Toyota Echo
If you want to see it, use invisible glass. You'll see the foam, if on a budget get some white vinegar as stated above.
jstantherprsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
I use that stuff for tinted windows on the inside (where the tint is). Outside the best thing is the vinegar mixture with newspaper (no lint). We use that same mixture in the house, along with the newspapers. We recycle!
Old 10-15-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
Uber_Otter

Drives: Black XA not yaris but close
I use the rainX spray. It goes pretty far. Don't buy the rainX wipes, they dry out.

I bought one of those "windshield wonders" from the as seen on tv aisle at target. It works really good except I get the sudden urge to run down the street yelling "Shamwow"
Uber_Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:09 PM   #8
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetfireK View Post
Mix half white distilled vinegar with half water. Use a micro rag and go in circular motion....will take a lot of elbow grease but eventually glass will be perfectly void of water spotting........I know you wanted more than this but possibly this will clean your glass...certainly can't hurt it...
I also use a vinegar solution, but 50:50 is waaaaaay strong. I use 1-2 tablespoons of white vinegar per gallon of water, and add 1-2 drops of Lavender oil to help cut the smell down. This solution works just as well as washer fluid as it does a manual cleaner.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #9
rene0023

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
I only use water in a spray and then dry with a microfiber and pulls a spectacular shine.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #10
JetfireK

Drives: 2008 3 Dr Liftback
Quote:

I ordered NXT Generation direct from Maguires since it is not yet in the stores...(as of last two weeks) Love NXT Generation wax...car almost changed colors it worked so great......I would like to know the kind of wax everyone here uses.....
JetfireK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #11
Klink10

Right now I'm in the process of removing wax and going to go with Duragloss sealant. First gotta do some minor paint correction work with a polisher.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
Quote:

Those marks will be gone if you buff the glass with a buffing machine and use something like Kitt Scratch remover on the glass. I do the Front and Back windows every time I do waxing or detailing. (I always use my Porter Cable Buffer) It makes the job like one hella easy and cuts the time to like 25% of doing it manually! The Glass gets so smooth and CLEAR & SHINY Too!

Aloha From Hawaii
-bob
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #13
darkMINI

Drives: 08 hatch
Any kind of hand rubbed wax should get the water spots off. I use the Safelite window cleaner for regular maintenance. They give you a free can when you get a new windshield put in, but you can buy some at their stores. That Sh*t works GOOD.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #14
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
use car wax works great every time i wax the inside of my windows also less fogging and moisture try it i think you will like it the vinegar 50 50 thing is for hard water spots works good old trick for boat users McGuires cleaner wax is the brand i live by let me know if it works for you
pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #15
RawrDaddy

Drives: 2007
In a nut shell x Just Use The Stoners Window Cleaner with a MICROFIBER towel
and dry it appropriately.

the window should look perfect afterwards.
if you want to avoid any heavy sticking of dirt to the window
you will need to put a layer of something down after your done cleaning it.

The best Rain/Snow/Dirt Repellent = Aquapel. Will work 8 months.
if there is any dirt that sticks after its application x an easy spot up clean will get rid of it.

Certain NR Washes and Waxes can be applied to a window to generally get the same effect.

Regardless though, your windows gonna need some kind of cleaning
atleast every two weeks to a month.

hope that helps.
RawrDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #16
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Stoners Invisible Glass + Newspaper = WIN Works like a charm for me. I will be getting one of those corner reacher things for where the windshield meets the dash once it gets warm, too cold for hand detailing anyways.

As far as wax goes, I really like the Maguiers products. The clay bar works wonders. Once the snow and sub-zero temps go away, I plan on a full interior/exterior detail and I'll post pics and products used.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #17
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Stoners Invisible Glass works awsome......

Also you should try the glass polish located on this site www.griotsgarage.com

Pretty much all I use,their products last a long time and work well and are safe.

Stoners and Griots glass polish are the only two things I foudn that actually remove without effort the spots,glass will look better tahn it did when new.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #18
Zebra

Drives: Yaris HB
Finally a subject that I have a small amount of experience with! Folks, I've been in the trucking business for just about 33 years. Cleaning windows gets to be a daily routine for most drivers and they won't put up with anything that isn't working well.

We buy Castle Streakproof by the case and it's great.

We've tried other brands several times and the only thing that comes close is Zep's Foaming window cleaner. But you have to be really careful with that stuff if you use it on other surfaces inside your vehicle. It won't hurt plastics but we found that labels over the dash switches can be ruined if you get the Zep on them. We've even seen it take the paint off wiper arms. Powerful stuff but we had to quit using it because of that.

I like the Zep for the windows on my home and the Castle for the windows on my vehicles. If anyone else uses these, I would be interested in your opinion too.