Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-25-2009, 05:27 AM   #127
abdallah380
Fly Emirates :)

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Same here. Acceleration is not a strong point on that car.

You can adjust the bass on the factory stereo (don't ask me how, though, but I've seen the sales guy do it at the dealership), but the acceleration is something you might have to get used to :(
thanks for the reply, lol the acceleration is really a weak point.. but im getting used to it already. i cant complain much, i really love this car. love everything else about it.
abdallah380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #128
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdallah380 View Post
... but the acceleration is killing me, its terrible... anyone facing with acceleration problem?
Small engine + GREAT mileage = Slow off the line.
Fact of life. If you want acceleration, you'll pretty much have to go for something more expensive to run. The way most people drive, though, you'll still beat them off the lights, simply because they don't realise you're racing
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:39 PM   #129
abdallah380
Fly Emirates :)

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Fact of life. If you want acceleration, you'll pretty much have to go for something more expensive to run. The way most people drive, though, you'll still beat them off the lights, simply because they don't realise you're racing
lol ur right... i cant complain about it... i wont deny about trying to beat the ppl when the lights go green, love kickin butt. hehehehehe
abdallah380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:46 AM   #130
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
2 year anniversary for Black Betty tomorrow....59,800+ miles. Had well over 100 cars since 1964, and this is one of the tops!!!! Does everything I need.....5 of us travelled over 1,000 miles in a 3 day weekend, have hauled 1,000 lb payloads, have averaged over 38 mpg (have records to prove it).

Sad thing is either getting hours cut, pay cut, or laid off next week....Black Betty may have to go....
Old 03-01-2009, 02:03 AM   #131
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
2 year anniversary for Black Betty tomorrow....59,800+ miles. Had well over 100 cars since 1964, and this is one of the tops!!!! Does everything I need.....5 of us travelled over 1,000 miles in a 3 day weekend, have hauled 1,000 lb payloads, have averaged over 38 mpg (have records to prove it).

Sad thing is either getting hours cut, pay cut, or laid off next week....Black Betty may have to go....
Sorry to hear that. Hang in there, the economy will turn around, eventually.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #132
Yar Is Word

Drives: Yaris 5 door liftback
Quote:
Had well over 100 cars since 1964, and this is one of the tops!!!!

Sorry about you situation. Perhaps a way out will come to you.
Why so may cars?
Yar Is Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:40 PM   #133
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar Is Word View Post
Sorry about you situation. Perhaps a way out will come to you.
Why so may cars?
Word came down Friday 32 hours...I can live with that. Just about every factory around here has done this, after they laid off to the bare bones.

Why so many cars???? Why not? Maybe ask Jay Leno.

Yaris is near the top of the list out of all of them. Or maybe I'm just getting old and want something practical and dependable, that does everything I need.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #134
gaffo

Drives: integra
Quote:
get a STANDARD - that will solve your acceleration issues.

small engine = small car =/= automatic.

offering an automatic for such small cars is just..........dumb.

and if you just have to have it, then expect your power reserve to be alot less!
gaffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:06 PM   #135
gaffo

Drives: integra
Quote:

33k here , also have the hitch like you. its great being able to haul crap around without worrying about finding a damn truck to borrow.

-sorry about the bad economic news, its bad all over. Oklahoma has dodged the bullet...........so far.

I do NOT expect that she will continue to do so ;-/. its getting scary out there ;-(.
gaffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #136
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffo View Post
get a STANDARD - that will solve your acceleration issues.
Er.. not quite. Coming from the Honda CRX, I can tell you that the acceleration in the Yaris is not the greatest.

You get used to it pretty quickly, but it's sometimes a bit of a pain (like when you want to merge on the highway)

I think the SMART is even worse than the Yaris in that regard, though.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:03 PM   #137
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffo View Post
-sorry about the bad economic news, its bad all over. Oklahoma has dodged the bullet...........so far.

I do NOT expect that she will continue to do so ;-/. its getting scary out there ;-(.
It's scary everywhere lately. Hang in there. We'll get through this.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:28 PM   #138
Cutie Pie #2

Drives: 2014 Honda CR-V LX
I'm happier with my Yaris now, it's paid off, well not really just paid off to a line of credit which has better interest rate (1.9% Line of credit vs 8.25% toyota financial) and I will also help my husband with paying it off the line of credit sooner we have other things on it.

Just hang it there everyone, it will be better soon.
Cutie Pie #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:28 PM   #139
SailDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
You get used to it pretty quickly, but it's sometimes a bit of a pain (like when you want to merge on the highway)
Best way to get over the merge problem is to use the Yaris' ability to corner to its fullest - banch the ramp and match intrinsics BEFORE you get to highway itself.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #140
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutie Pie #2 View Post
I'm happier with my Yaris now, it's paid off, well not really just paid off to a line of credit which has better interest rate (1.9% Line of credit vs 8.25% toyota financial) ..

Well done!!!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:40 AM   #141
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
That's Sail... Always looking on the bright side of the Yaris... Gas tank is always half-full; not half-empty!!! What's that saying? You can't control the wind; you can only set your Sail...
otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #142
SailDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
That's Sail... Always looking on the bright side of the Yaris... Gas tank is always half-full; not half-empty!!! What's that saying? You can't control the wind; you can only set your Sail...
As opposed to bitching and moaning about everything YOU bought, and now don't like? I prefer my way
Old 03-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #143
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
Quote:
As opposed to bitching and moaning about everything YOU bought, and now don't like? I prefer my way
We definitely balance each other out... I'm honest about the failings of this otherwise great little car, whereas you're over-the-top-besotted with it...

Only there are TWO of you (Forrest) and only one of me, so I have to B&M twice as loud and long...

otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #144
SIPNGAS
I LOVE my Yaris!

Drives: 2007 Polar White LB
Send a message via MSN to SIPNGAS Send a message via Yahoo to SIPNGAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
We definitely balance each other out... I'm honest about the failings of this otherwise great little car, whereas you're over-the-top-besotted with it...

Only there are TWO of you (Forrest) and only one of me, so I have to B&M twice as loud and long...

For some reason, I don't think that's a stretch for you. Honestly, I can't imagine living like that...constantly complaining about everything. Is anything/anyone ever good enough? That would drive me and everyone around me UP THE FLIPPING WALL.

Lisa
aka SIPNGAS
SIPNGAS is offline   Reply With Quote