Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-10-2021, 05:45 PM   #1
fred317

Drives: Yaris Sedan
2007 Yaris Issues

I went to look at a 2007 Yaris sedan today to replace my rusted out 2002 echo. Some things I noticed were 1.When I took the coolant cap off I couldn't see any coolant and the overflow bottle didn't look like it had any coolant in it either.2. at start up it seemed to run rough for a second or 2 then seemed to smooth out.3. when revving it up I noticed that a little white smoke seemed to come out of the tail pipe not bad but I noticed it(was cold condensation)? Car has been parked and sitting. Are these prone to head gasket failures? It was making a noise going down the road owner said it was the tires which need replaced but not sure about that. Transmission fluid seemed a little dark but didn't smell burnt and shifted just fine. Oil was full not milky oil cap had no froth. Maintenance needed light was on but just needs to be reset probably. Pretty clean underneath except for where the rear axle bar meets the inner rocker area rusted through there outer rockers are clean. (I had my echo fixed on both sides similar repair) Car has 178000 miles on it he wants 2800 went down to 1500 so far. Might be worth putting a little money into now that car prices are going nuts. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by fred317; 09-10-2021 at 06:36 PM.
fred317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:04 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
White smoke indicates cylinder head gasket failure. Possibly. You can get a test for exhaust gas in the coolant at AutoZone I think it’s $50.Take it for a drive and watch the exhaust pipe wild idols Perative if you see white smoke suspect a head gasket. He didn’t say what the mileage was.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:05 PM   #3
bronsin

No you’re is not prone to head gasket issues. Yaris Rarely has a head gasket issue
Old 09-10-2021, 06:15 PM   #4
fred317

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
White smoke indicates cylinder head gasket failure. Possibly. You can get a test for exhaust gas in the coolant at AutoZone I think it’s $50.Take it for a drive and watch the exhaust pipe wild idols Perative if you see white smoke suspect a head gasket. He didn’t say what the mileage was.
It has 178,000 on it didn't smoke at idle. Nothing streaming out while driving.

Last edited by fred317; 09-10-2021 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:17 PM   #5
fred317

Quote:
No you’re is not prone to head gasket issues. Yaris Rarely has a head gasket issue
I'm pretty sure it has the same engine as my Echo. Echo still runs good 223000 miles.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:57 PM   #6
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred317 View Post
It has 178,000 on it didn't smoke at idle. Nothing streaming out while driving.
You still need to test the coolant for exhaust gas like I mentioned above. To be sure. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a head gasket failing on these engines but Lack of coolant in the radiator and white smoke out the tailpipe demand a coolant test to be sure
Old 09-10-2021, 09:59 PM   #7
bronsin

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-75500-C...24138552&psc=1
Old 09-10-2021, 10:01 PM   #8
bronsin

You are right the echo and Yaris engines are the same. I wouldn’t get rid of your echo I would fix it whatever needs fixing
Old 09-11-2021, 04:28 PM   #9
fred317

Quote:
You are right the echo and Yaris engines are the same. I wouldn’t get rid of your echo I would fix it whatever needs fixing
Needs brakes all the way around at least 1 rotor maybe 2 needs new tires has a exhaust leak rear passenger side spring slid out of place some hanging down over the base return line for gas fumes rotted off most lines that go to the charcoal canister are in bad shape or just not on there anymore (my county has emissions ) where the rear axle bar mounts to the unibody severe rust could come unattached upper rails where the shocks mount are getting pretty bad can put my fingers through them was still fairly solid where they mount but have checked since last fall. Inner rocker have holes front arm that comes off of unibody on drivers side is getting bad where it mounts and on the bottom .Paid 800.00 in 2015 was pretty beat up lots of dents plus a tree fell on it and put more dents in it when I owned it. Clear coat is peeling of pretty good looks generally beat could use struts and shocks but not horrible check engine light has been on the whole time I owned it. That's just what I know about probably more. I put 70,000 miles on it motor and tranny go allot more probably but I used it as a work beater and it served me well one of the best cars I ever had but I live in the Allegheny mountains PA and the salting kills vehicles all the time. I saw 2 Echo's in the last 6 months that were nicer than mine that were being sold because they would not pass inspection anymore( 1 only had 100000 miles on it) pretty common around here. Either way would cost a fortune to fix.
Old 09-11-2021, 06:05 PM   #10
bronsin

Sounds like it’s toast. Too bad.

What do you think of that exhaust gas test for your new Yaris? You wouldn’t want a replacement for the echo do you have a head gasket would you?
Old 09-11-2021, 09:15 PM   #11
fred317

Quote:
Sounds like it’s toast. Too bad.

What do you think of that exhaust gas test for your new Yaris? You wouldn’t want a replacement for the echo do you have a head gasket would you?
Well I have a 07 Corolla that's in good shape so I'm in no hurry to buy problems . I've seen a couple further away that were between 2500 and 3000(slightly lower miles) that had new inspection stickers on them but they could be rusted in the same place. Lick em and stick em inspection places .The only thing that Yaris has going for it is its 30 miles away in a town I drive too 5 days a week to work. The test is a good idea I watched a few YouTube videos of people using it seems pretty straight forward if it changes color walk away. I believe the noise it was making is a really bad wheel bearing. Car hasn't had a PA inspection sticker on it since 2017 its currently titled in North Carolina but is a native PA car( was only in North Carolina for 1 year) .He told me they don't even pull the wheels of down there for inspection so it could need other things as well. Lots of red flags has me on the fence.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:50 PM   #12
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
I've never seen a 1.3 Yaris with a failed head gasket. If it had failed I would suspect some problem with the coolant system would have caused it to overheat. In the UK those 1.3L 2SZ engines are fairly common in the scrapyards. I would probably just buy it and change the engine if it was me and then pressure test the coolant system once I'd changed it to make sure there wasn't a leak or something.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:21 PM   #13
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Either pay a few bucks for a mechanic to look it over or walk away. Sounds like it has the potential to suck up money real fast.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:46 PM   #14
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Either pay a few bucks for a mechanic to look it over or walk away. Sounds like it has the potential to suck up money real fast.
This.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:35 AM   #15
IndestructibleYaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Depends how cold it is outside. Every car blows condensation out the tail pipe when cold. Your nose doesnt lie though. If you smell SWEET smoke, it's a blown gasket letting coolant into the combustion chamber. It's concerning that it had no visible coolant, but not a damnation
IndestructibleYaris is offline   Reply With Quote