Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-08-2007, 02:59 AM   #1
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Trying to decide: Power Package or not

I really don't mind the crank windows or lack of keyless. The non-power mirrors? I'd get used to it. However, I really want to see a pic of the standard folding rear seat. Does it fold as flat as the one the comes with the Power Package?
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:20 AM   #2
tacsniper

Drives: 07 White Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
I really don't mind the crank windows or lack of keyless. The non-power mirrors? I'd get used to it. However, I really want to see a pic of the standard folding rear seat. Does it fold as flat as the one the comes with the Power Package?
the one that folds down flat is the RS version, it have nothing to do with power package or not... its the RS that you want if you want that feature

here is an image of what it looks like when its folded flat
tacsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:54 AM   #3
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
several people with 60/40 claim their seats fold very flat

I don't have 60/40 and the seat folds pretty flat, I have no complaints about this, have you been to the dealership and taken a close look at both?

I -really- did not want power stuff on my car personally. Manual is very -trusty- and I like that but I do drive an auto so I can't finger point to much.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:47 AM   #4
Boo

Drives: PW Yaris LB AT
I don't know if the standard rear seat slide.. but the 60/40 seat can slide, so you can increase the cargo area without folding the seats... This is one of the nice feature with the 60/40.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:03 AM   #5
njyaris
YARIS NEWBIE

Drives: YARIS 07 LIFTBACK
Send a message via AIM to njyaris Send a message via Yahoo to njyaris
i dont have a pwr package .. and really the only advantage there is the pwr windows and door locks

just like you .. i can live without it .. not worth paying for ..
Old 07-08-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Here's a shot of the one-piece seat folded down:

It's definitely not flat but it's never been a problem for me. I and others with the same configuration have fit an amazing amount of stuff into this setup. My best load yet was a mini refrigerator, a microwave, 2 medium and 1 large house plants, 2 vertical fans and 2 circular fans, along with $300 in groceries, utensils and dishes, and some computer equipment (taking them all to the new office at work). Or maybe it was the 2 boxed rack-mount computer servers, 4 rack-mount network switches, 2 vertical mount PDUs, 10kg of CAT6 cables, 15kg of 208V power cords, tool box, power driver, portable cart, folding chairs and 2 night's worth of luggage and laptops for myself and my assistant on a Sacramento run.

With regards to the power package: I have owned many vehicles throughout my lifetime thus far, and without fail the first things to always go out on them are electrical. Adding power windows and whatnot just increases the pool of early failure points. Additionally, once these things fail they are stupidly expensive - and often difficult - to repair.

For example, on my old Stratus the front door locks stopped working, and no amount of cleaning or lubricating would bring them back to a strong enough condition to actuate the lock's mechanism. Dodge's design had the little $0.30 solenoid mounted as part of the outer door assembly. The stealership wanted $600 for a pair of replacements, and salvage yards wanted $400. The labor to perform the replacement was also intensive, about 2 or 3 hours per door and a lot of scraped knuckles on a DIY, or $300 quoted by the stealership (which really means $500).

That's an awfully expensive convenience.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:56 AM   #7
Thirty-Nine

You guys rule! Thanks for the pics and info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacsniper
the one that folds down flat is the RS version
The US doesn't get the RS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat
have you been to the dealership and taken a close look at both
Yes, but the dealer didn't have a non-power-package-equipped liftback to look at. I did monkey around with the sliding/reclining back seat, and I can tell you it doesn't fold truly flat. And I agree -- manual is indeed trusty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailout
Here's a shot of the one-piece seat folded down:
Exactly what I was looking for. I also agree with you on the "another thing to break" statement. This car is a two door; not many windows to have to roll down, either!

The main concern I had was with resale. I was under the impression a car w/o power windows/locks would have less of a resale value. Then again, I guess it's not that big of a deal.

It should also be noted that the Power Package seems to always come with ABS in this area, and I can live w/o ABS.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:39 PM   #8
smokinyaris

Drives: bad boy
as long as the seats fold down thats all that matters to me................
smokinyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:47 PM   #9
joe keeney

Drives: yaris 2 door hatch
Power Pack all the way. Get the alum. wheel upgrade.
joe keeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:47 PM   #10
Thirty-Nine

I personally would not get the aluminum wheel upgrade -- I would rather get aftermarket wheels.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:27 PM   #11
adamschneider

Drives: Bayou Blue 2dr, AT
Thirty-Nine, which dealership are you going through? If you don't have one picked out yet, I can tell you about my local experiences.
adamschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:37 PM   #12
Thirty-Nine

If all goes as planned, I'll be going through Gladstone Toyota. I've had excellent service with them on my xB.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:51 AM   #13
cm07yaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Blazing Blue
Send a message via AIM to cm07yaris
get the power package
cm07yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:05 AM   #14
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
if theres only gonna be one driver for the car, go without the power package. but multiple drivers means adjusting the side mirrors, and the yaris doesnt even have knobs on the a-pillars, meaning rolling down the passenger window AND leaning over and manually adjusting the side mirror itself. we tried it, and it wouldnt be very pleasant if done on a consistent basis. we do love the sliding 60-40 rear seat, but again, you can make do without this.

on the note of power packages going bad, our family has owned toyotas and hondas since '88, and oddly enough, the only window that went bad was the '97 civic without power!! the damn thing kept going off-track (total of 4 dealer visits over its last 5 years or service), and a little research showed that this was a common problem among all '96-'98 civics without power windows. we typically own cars for longer than 8 years, and not a single power door lock or window has gone bad on us from either toyota of honda. maybe we've been lucky. just a little food for thought...

--B
Old 07-09-2007, 12:38 PM   #15
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
Power package doesn't necessarily come with the keyless entry device. I know mine didn't. But I got the power option because I know my boyfriend will also drive my car from time to time and to adjust the two side mirrors manually every time would just be a pain in the butt. Plus, I can lock the doors easily with one click instead of leaning over to lock/unlock the passenger side as well. That's why I went with power package.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:49 PM   #16
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Sometimes I forget how nice it is that my wife and I are the same height.

Of course, it means she can't wear heels, but she hates those things anyway.

Share the Road

Old 07-09-2007, 01:25 PM   #17
Thirty-Nine

Around here, ABS seems to be only bundled with the Power Package. I'd kinda like ABS, although I could live w/o it. However, I thought I read the braking was a lot better w/ABS on the Yaris. Is there any truth to that?
Old 07-09-2007, 01:38 PM   #18
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

The stock brakes work damn good under normal conditions. So good that I had to train myself to be a little lighter on them when I first got my Yaris.

IMHO ABS is overrated if you know how to drive in adverse conditions. I commute over a mountain in the Winter and do just fine without ABS because I slow down, anticipate other people, look ahead and plan ahead.

Share the Road