Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-01-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
Zippo152

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Front/Rear Brake Wear

It's been a while since I last checked my brakes so I decided to check them today since I was already in need of changing my oil.

Note: My car just recently hit 70k miles. I drive freeways to school, stop and go in morning traffic. I deliver pizzas so there's also a lot of stop and go there too. I don't normally drive fast and I usually do not hit my brakes really hard (I usually stop gradually).

I inspected the front brake pads and was amazed at how little wear there was. In fact, they still look fairly new.

For so many miles, I had to think that my rear brakes were taking more of the stopping than my fronts. So I decided to check my rear brakes. I don't know much about rear brakes but I took some pictures and was hoping someone could tell me if they look normal, need to be replaced, etc.

Sorry, that was the only ruler I could find. The brake drum seems fine with normal wear but I should probably get that inspected. There was no rust on the inside and it appears to have full contact with the shoes. Similarly, the front rotors. I cannot recall if I've ever had the rear brakes adjusted.

Any ideas?
Zippo152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
All looks good. Should be good for quite some time.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
unless i'm missing something, but the last pic, on the left side... seems the shoes are completely worn?
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
i dont think the shoes pad surface covers the entire plate. if i remember correctly looking at mine, it looked the same way
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Whoa, yeah that looks wierd, but most likely normal.

I noticed on mine the other day that it was a but short, but no where near that length, and I noticed cracking and chipping at the edges. I also have now 51,000miles on my car and my brakes up front look NEW, but the rear is showing its time is up, and the sqeaking from the drums says it all.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
rear brakes are taking a little more abuse than normal Make sure they are adjusted properly so you get even wear
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
ya...all you auto guys be sure and hit your parking brake at least 3 times a week...that'll keep them adjusted. and u manual guys shouldnt have a problem unless you put it in gear when u park
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
PEneoark

Drives: 2009 Yaris, 2-door liftback
I always use my ebrake when parking
PEneoark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:11 PM   #9
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
20 bucks says you work at the papa johns on foothill, not the one on carnelian. Above the 210 will eat your pads. Either way, your pads are lasting WAY longer than mine did..
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:36 PM   #10
Zippo152

Cool. Thanks for all the responses. I just wasn't sure what to think since the brakes on both of my previous cars were gone by 50k.

And about the last picture, it is correct that the shoe pad does not cover the entire plate.

I'll make sure I have the rears adjusted the next time I'm at the shop.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #11
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo152 View Post
Cool. Thanks for all the responses. I just wasn't sure what to think since the brakes on both of my previous cars were gone by 50k.

And about the last picture, it is correct that the shoe pad does not cover the entire plate.

I'll make sure I have the rears adjusted the next time I'm at the shop.
+1 on using the e-brake when parking...takes the load off the driveline. And correct on your lining size. Some times the trailing shoe will have the full sweep, but most aren't that way, and leading shoe is usually noticeably smaller.

How many clicks @ the e-brake? If around 5 clicks you should be about right on your shoe adjustment. If your fluid is turning dark that's something I'd consider having flushed. Looks like it'll be a while before you need new pads or shoes, and if the fluid is dirty now flushing might save you the need to replace your rear wheel cylinders during shoe replacement.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 06-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #12
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
i thought the pads are not THAT short from the top of the drum assembly...

and i'm not that +1 on the parking brake for auto adjustment. Mine clicked 10-15 times before i adjusted them.. so it pretty much says all how much they auto adjust lol.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:58 AM   #13
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I always adjust my rear brakes by hand. About 11 clicks per side last time. I do it about every 6 months.
I think the self adjusting feature on this car is a joke......

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #14
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Self adjusting is just that.
Like at the gas station, you have self served.

It doesnt mean someone or something will put the gas in for you, it means get out, open the gas tank door, and pour in the gas yourself.

Same applies for this dumb drum system. Open them up, and adjust them your-SELF!
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #15
1stToyota

I guess I'm just lucky enough to have a Toyota that self-adjusts the rear brakes as well as my uncle's '94 Chevy C1500...5 clicks at the e-brake when new, 5-clicks at the e-brake 15 months later ...or maybe it's because I'm the only one that uses the e-brake when parking and ever hits the brakes when I'm backing out of the garage

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 06-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #16
Zippo152

I use my e-brake almost all the time when I park. It's just habit. Just checked and it's currently 5 clicks for the e-brake. When I was inspecting the rear brakes yesterday, I attempted to adjust them myself...7 clicks each side. It seemed a little more firm when applying brakes but it could just be my imagination.

I'm not sure how many clicks it was for the e-brake before I adjusted the rear brakes though. Usually, when I bring my cars into the dealership to get serviced, my e-brake barely comes up. After several months, it eventually it comes up all the way. Maybe Im pulling on it too hard? Not sure. Fluid looks normal right now.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:39 AM   #17
The little red pill
Taking care of Bubbles

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB "Bubbles"
So how many clicks does it take to get to the center of. . . . . whoops . . . wrong forum.

+1 on the whole using the "park"ing brake when I "park". Seems very re-donk-u-lus not to, ever since one of my friends has his parked car hit from behind. He had an auto, did not put the e-brake on, and when his car was hit, it broke the parking pin thing, and pushed his car into someone else's. That "someone else" filed an insurance claim against him!
Old 06-03-2009, 02:12 AM   #18
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by The little red pill View Post
So how many clicks does it take to get to the center of. . . . . whoops . . . wrong forum.

+1 on the whole using the "park"ing brake when I "park". Seems very re-donk-u-lus not to, ever since one of my friends has his parked car hit from behind. He had an auto, did not put the e-brake on, and when his car was hit, it broke the parking pin thing, and pushed his car into someone else's. That "someone else" filed an insurance claim against him!
let's see that claim hold up in court! it would not be possible for him to be at fault as he was in his house, and the only "input" to his car was the idiot hitting it...

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote