Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #19
at3GG

Drives: 07 metmet LB
haha i saw some lady running in an Xb on the news the other day, it was some lady in Cali. Smoked the front tires pulling away at one time. Funny stuff, dont know where she thought she was going.....thread jack ended.... Any idea of how much you'd let the used bar go for..? Thanks for the thorough review, keep it coming!

Konig Heliums 15x6.5 Black
Tanabe Df210's

Last edited by at3GG; 04-22-2009 at 05:59 PM.
at3GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:48 PM   #20
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
This thread is about the new bar... it's not a for sale thread, that's why I said "PM me". ;)

But, I have 5 people interested so far, so it's probably gone.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #21
at3GG

ahh my bad just curious,....good luck selling ...any new info on performance?

Tanabe Df210's
Old 04-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #22
Loren
What?

I've learned nothing new sitting at my computer this afternoon. :)

Old 04-22-2009, 08:25 PM   #23
xbalance

Drives: stock
Loren,

Noted, about the autocross...
and another thing is do u try on the wet road or during rainning time ... what is the grip level, as dry & wet road the car and the tire respond in different way .. some time in the wet road i will just take at a lower speed....
xbalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:57 PM   #24
Loren
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbalance View Post
Loren,

Noted, about the autocross...
and another thing is do u try on the wet road or during rainning time ... what is the grip level, as dry & wet road the car and the tire respond in different way .. some time in the wet road i will just take at a lower speed....
Wet roads are where things get hairy. Hasn't rained here since I installed the new bar. But, anything you do that changes the handling bias of the car to reduce understeer is going to make it more likely to oversteer. The conditions in which it will oversteer will be when there is low grip (rain, snow, sand, rough pavement, crappy tires, whatever reason) or you're pushing the limits and you lift off of the gas and/or hit the brakes while turning. When you're accelerating, weight is transferred to the rear tires and keeps them planted, when you lift, that weight comes off of the rear and off you go.

My recommendation is that anyone who does this kind of modification should ALREADY be well in tune with how to handle their car at the limit, and then they should test it in a closed environment in every possible condition. Test it out in the dry, see how it behaves. When it rains, go test again. When winter comes, if it snows (or even just when it gets cold, cold tires don't grip), go test again. These kinds of mods make the car much less forgiving, you need to know how to handle the car.

I'm not trying to scare anyone here, or anything... but Consumer Reports (wasn't it CR?) has already pronounced the STOCK Yaris as having a tendency toward oversteer in certain conditions. (the lift-throttle conditions mentioned above, no doubt) So, be careful!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:00 PM   #25
Loren
What?

I guess the thing to remember is that with a stiffened rear suspension, the front is going to grip better. In wet conditions, this may inspire you... "hey, I actually have some grip, I can accelerate around this turn!", but then something happens and you need to slow down and it takes much less of a "lift" to get the back end to step out on you. So, it can inspire false confidence. You just need to know how to handle it, and to be mature enough to know not to play games on the street.

Okay, okay... I'll stop.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:03 PM   #26
xbalance

Drives: stock
Loren,

some of my friends say in the wet road or during rain time ... dont push so much as the rear as the rear will kick out to be overstreer so they advice not to go too big rear sway bar... to balance out this issue..

By the way do we need to use a larger size sway bar in the front to improve more?

wonder if carry so much speed in a corner will the Brake system EBD able to respond and slow down in a safe way?

how to make the EBD system fail?
xbalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:41 PM   #27
Loren
What?

Correct, not going so big on the rear bar will help prevent dangerous oversteer in wet conditions. I'm setting my car up for competition, and I just tone down my driving in adverse conditions. (I drive pretty mild on the street, anyway)

I'm not a fan of a bigger front bar on a FWD car. FWD cars are always fighting understeer. A larger front bar CAUSES understeer. It is the antichrist.

Don't know anything about EBD, my car has no such options. Not even sure what EBD is, but I'm assuming some sort of traction control or yaw control. If so, the Yaris is NOT a performance car, so this is likely a rudimentary system. Who knows how it will react to modifications to the suspension?

Old 04-22-2009, 10:50 PM   #28
yarstar

Drives: 2008 Absolute Red HB
Thanks, yet again, for the education, Loren. I bought a TRD sway bar not long ago, but I didn't really understand it, that is until I read this thread. Thank you for taking the time to explain it. I now know how it works and why. I also know now....I need a bigger bar!!! Damn it! Garm always ends up getting my money!

Thanks again.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:21 AM   #29
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

Drives: 08 PBM Yaris Sedan
This is definitely on my list of things to get. I have been looking at the Ksports and it is nice to know that someone else has this setup. I plan on doing open lap events at a new local course and am glad to see someone like you who does auto-x is giving a good writeup about this product. Garm, expect and order from me after my son is born.

On a small sidenote, how do you like the Ksports. It is near the top of my list on suspension kits that I want to get. Are they easily adjustable and how do you like to ride on the track and on the street? Do you change the settings that much between track and regular driving?

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan. Pacific Blue Mica. Custom vinyl eyebrows, color matched interior trim pieces, Vios lip spoiler, 17" Maas rims

2010 Scion xB 7.0 Release Series. 1535 of 2000. Murasaki. Stock with TRD springs.
RHDVIPbB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:32 AM   #30
Loren
What?

C'mon, let's stay on topic. Wanna talk about something else? Start a new thread!
(yes, I'm a grumpy old bastard... more so every day)

Old 04-23-2009, 12:37 AM   #31
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

Drives: 08 PBM Yaris Sedan
It was on topic. I was wanting to know how well it does with the Ksports.
Although it is nice to know that one can install it by themselves if needed.

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan. Pacific Blue Mica. Custom vinyl eyebrows, color matched interior trim pieces, Vios lip spoiler, 17" Maas rims

2010 Scion xB 7.0 Release Series. 1535 of 2000. Murasaki. Stock with TRD springs.
RHDVIPbB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #32
at3GG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
I've learned nothing new sitting at my computer this afternoon. :)
Pwned...

[QUOTE=Loren;296381]C'mon, let's stay on topic. Wanna talk about something else? Start a new thread!
QUOTE]

pwned.....

:sigh::

Tanabe Df210's
Old 04-26-2009, 08:17 PM   #33
Loren
What?

I taught at a BMW club teen driving clinic today, and had the opportunity to play on the test course during lunch. No timed runs or anything, just some horsing around on a course with lots of transitional elements. I was not disappointed at all! With the new rear bar, the front end stays very connected to the pavement, it made me very happy. No problems with oversteer, so it's definitely not "too much" bar (at least not for the rest of my setup and my driving style).

My next autocross is going to be fun!

Old 04-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #34
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Quote:
I taught at a BMW club teen driving clinic today, and had the opportunity to play on the test course during lunch. No timed runs or anything, just some horsing around on a course with lots of transitional elements. I was not disappointed at all! With the new rear bar, the front end stays very connected to the pavement, it made me very happy. No problems with oversteer, so it's definitely not "too much" bar (at least not for the rest of my setup and my driving style).

My next autocross is going to be fun!
good to hear! what kind of spring rates are you running?
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:35 PM   #35
Loren
What?

4kg/mm front and rear on K-Sport Kontrol Pro shocks. It's very simple setup... but very effective!

Old 04-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #36
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Quote:
4kg/mm front and rear on K-Sport Kontrol Pro shocks. It's very simple setup... but very effective!
Nice, i think im going to bump up to Tein springs when i get new dampers. They are 3kg front and 3.5kg rear if i remember right. That, combined with a (maybe!) rear sway bar, i think it will be a really nice set up. If i want to do anything else to it, i can probably tune it with some longacre spring rubbers.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote