Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-26-2020, 06:27 PM   #1
bairjo

Bedding in brakes

We all know new brakes must go through the bedding in process. But I can't find any information regarding the affect bedding in if only one axle was done. In other words, if only the front brakes were replaced, will there be an adverse affect on the used rear brakes while bedding in the new front brakes? They get pretty hot.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:33 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
No adverse affect.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:32 PM   #3
bairjo

Well ok then...now I know. Thank you. I'll do the front one weekend and rear two weeks later. Now I can take my wife for drive and when she asks where are going...we are going bedding in the Yaris! Thanks again Wee for the reply. Now its time to order some brake components.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:18 PM   #4
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
While the bedding process is recommended, it is not something that would cause any harm if not done. When I bought my used Yaris, I asked the authorized dealer to change the brake pads and rotors since I needed it quickly. They did it and told me "just drive with this, brakes will have a bit different characteristics compared to what you were used to but it will all settle down in a few days".
That was eight years ago. Now - after 110,000 km - the brake pads look like they need replacing. Apparently the "do not care" approach worked.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:49 PM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
If you have the time and place to safely do it, do it. The average brake shop will not take the time to perform a bed in process on every job they undertake and for the most part performance is just fine. As optimal as it could be? No. I personally have noticed a difference between non-bedded and bedded brakes.

Bedding in is more about performance than longevity.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:27 PM   #6
Steve35

Drives: 2008 HB
Hawk brakes has a good bedding in process to use.

https://www.hawkperformance.com/how-to

Steve
Steve35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:24 AM   #7
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
Just equipped my car with new TRW pads and rotors. The only instruction from the manufacturer was to avoid heavy braking (if possible) during the first 200km.
Which is quite vague statement (You can drive 200km on a highway without braking) but it quite nicely illustrates what needs to be done for a "normal car" I use to drive around the block. :)
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote