Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-28-2019, 08:17 PM   #145
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Good to know. Thanks much! Any idea how much pressure a typical A/T cooling circuit has?
No idea, but I cannot he nearly as much as a braking system, steering system etc based off of the fitting and hose clamp styles that are used
Old 04-29-2019, 06:23 AM   #146
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Pro tip: transmission line that enters the trans high up tends to be the return line. The line that attaches low on the trans housing tends to be the feed line.

I went with that when flushing the trans fluid on my wife's Vibe and saved me quite a mess.
This confirms your explanation. I found this in my U340E Transmission service manual. Now, I am assuming "Inlet" and "Outlet" refer to the direction of fluid flow relative to the engine and not the cooler.

Hoping to source some of these locally. I figure there's no reason I can't just put these through the upper loops of the trans cooler to support the top. I'll figure something else to secure the bottom.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:12 AM   #147
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
This is coming along so much faster than I expected. An absolute joy to follow.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:02 AM   #148
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
This confirms your explanation. I found this in my U340E Transmission service manual. Now, I am assuming "Inlet" and "Outlet" refer to the direction of fluid flow relative to the engine and not the cooler.

Hoping to source some of these locally. I figure there's no reason I can't just put these through the upper loops of the trans cooler to support the top. I'll figure something else to secure the bottom.

yep, that diagram confirms it, lower hose is from pump, upper is drain hose back to trans.

Those hose clamps are readily available from Princess auto for a decent price. I used 3/8" ones for my main 4gauge power line for my batter relocation and they worked very well. Not sure if a Princess Auto is close to you but they do ship from their online store
Old 04-30-2019, 08:57 PM   #149
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Home depot may have them in their catv installation section. Not sure if princess is in NB as Trevor stated.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:35 PM   #150
06YarisRS

Thanks gents. The local store had a pack of 15 1/2" ones for $6.00 and change. They work absolutely prefectly for planned installation. I tested it on the cooler and it holds it nice and tight on the tube radius when screwed down. I'll also use them for my 3/8 transmission cooler lines to keep everything nice and secure. More on this in my next post.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 05-01-2019, 12:02 AM   #151
06YarisRS

Pipe Clamps

The cramped space of the engine bay made this a really tough job. The coupler on the turbo compressor simply would not go on with the clamp even though I loosened the nut to the last thread. I had to grind down the collar on the clamp, and install it after the pipe was on. The clamp install on the 3" intake was marginally easier. I used a standard worm clamp on the intake as there's no pressure in that, and I used T clamps everywhere else.

I have to significantly modify the right side intercooler pipe as it wants to be higher up due to the original intercooler. I think shortening one end and taking a couple inches out of the center and a short 2" coupler should do the trick.

A couple more clamp pics...

The intercooler looks damaged, but it's the reflection of the light. It's not nearly as bad as it looks and I'll straighten the fins out with the tip of my utility knife.

I had my '08 at school today and used the vernier calipers to confirm my suspicion that the trans cooler lines are 8mm (5/16"). I have found fittings and I'll use a 5/16" compression to 3/8 rubber barb fitting to and from the cooler.
I spoke with a transmission shop today and all fears about fluid restriction have been allayed. Also, running the cooler vertically will make no difference, apparently.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:45 PM   #152
06YarisRS

Very little time tonight, but I installed the BOV and picked up some hardware for my trans cooler.

5/16" compression to 3/8" barb fittings and 8' of transmission cooler hose.

I'm going to move the trans cooler forward and install one of these behind it as a puller fan. I did some work on the A/C aluminum lines and hoses tonight. With minimal and careful bending, I cleared up a nice 3 1/2" to 3 3/4" space behind where the trans cooler will sit. The puller fan, mounted on the engine side of the trans cooler is only 2 1/3" deep, so there will be lots of room to exhaust the air into the engine bay. As much as I'd like a dedicated sensor and thermostat plumbed into the trans line to control the fan, I'm just going to hook it up to the radiator circuit and have it come on with the rad fan as this is the setup for.most trans/oil coolers.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 05-02-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:19 PM   #153
06YarisRS

Transmission Fittings and Cooler Mounting

Compression fittings worked great. Simply cut off the bubble flares and installed the fittings. I'll have to loop the hose around and attach it to the chassis at a couple points with my rubber coated P clips. Glad I bought a long piece of hose.

From underneath.

From above.

Cooler mounted. Still have to secure the bottom with brackets.

From front.

From back. Lots of room to mount the 8" fan.

All the coolers.

I'm in Moncton, NB tomorrow for a conference and afterwards I'm going to visit BLP Dyno and Automotive, the guys who will be tuning my car. Looking forward to that. Maybe I'll get really lucky and see them tuning a car.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:04 AM   #154
tmontague

Nice work! How do you plan in mounting the trans cooler? Also how will you be wiring your trans cooler fan, thermostatically controlled?
Old 05-03-2019, 12:44 AM   #155
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Nice work! How do you plan in mounting the trans cooler? Also how will you be wiring your trans cooler fan, thermostatically controlled?
The cooler is secured at the top very solidly with the rubber coated P clips. They do a great job of holding it tight. I just have to fab up a couple small brackets for the bottom. I'm on the fence about the electrical. I was planning on just wiring it to the rad circuit but I know it's not ideal. I would love to have it separately controlled with its own thermostat but that would require a lot of additional plumbing, sensor port, relay etc. An engine oil cooler with fan wired to the rad fan makes sense to me as oil temp and coolant temps are reasonably close, but I expect trans fluid could get very hot before the coolant gets to the point where it commands the fan to turn on.

I was speaking to a transmission tech yesterday and he felt that wiring it to the rad fan is a viable option as most trans coolers sit in front of the rad. Not really sure what to do at this moment.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:45 AM   #156
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Is the fan really needed? Just simply having an oil cooler is a great upgrade.

I would think the only time the cooler would need to do it's job is when you're givin'er. There should be enough air flow through the cooler when your right foot is down, no?

I'd save the extra weight and money

Old 05-03-2019, 08:43 AM   #157
06YarisRS

Decided to buy one of these. I'll tap a brass fitting and couple it into the 3/8" line after the cooler and before the pan. This sensor turns the fan on at 180 and off at 165.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:14 AM   #158
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
Is the fan really needed? Just simply having an oil cooler is a great upgrade.

I would think the only time the cooler would need to do it's job is when you're givin'er. There should be enough air flow through the cooler when your right foot is down, no?

I'd save the extra weight and money
You are probably correct. Definitely when moving it should be ok, but I was strongly advised by folks that turboed the 1ZZ auto to have a big trans cooler. I've already ordered the sensor/thermostat and this is the kind of design thing I crave. Haha. I would have done an oil cooler but that would be a much bigger and more expensive job to do correctly. I will install an oil temp gauge and if I see issues, I'll look into the filter concersion kit, sandwich plate and cooler.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:25 AM   #159
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Sorry I should have specified trans oil or fluid

Old 05-03-2019, 11:53 AM   #160
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
Sorry I should have specified trans oil or fluid
Haha, no worries. I wanted to address the topic of the engine oil cooler anyway.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 05-03-2019 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:13 PM   #161
06YarisRS

Some Light Bracket Fabrication

Although I didnt get much actual work done on the car today, I did have a great visit with the outfit that will be tuning my car. Unfortunately, I arrived a few minutes late to see a dyno run on a turboed BMW. Not being a big BMW guy, I don't know the model. Had a very nice chat and got a lot of questions answered and fears allayed, LOL. I did get to look at a number of turbo projects that are underway. Looking forward to "the big day".

On my way home from today's conference, I stopped by a scrapyard and bought $2.00 worth of aluminum strips/plate. It's nice and heavy but bends really well in my vice with some force.

Intercooler Upper Brackets. I filed down the edges and they look pretty good. I didn't bother to paint them.

Once I tighten these up, it will lift the intercooler about 1/4" which will result in the perfect placement.

I did manage to get one hole drilled up through the crash bar, but will have to pick up another bit as mine is toast. I tried sharpening it on the bench grinder but it was no better. That crash bar steel is capital "H" hard!

Lower Trans Cooler Bracket. This couldn't have been more simple and I didn't even have to drill a hole in the car as there was one already there that lined right up. Right now the lower part of the cooler isn't screwed to the bracket but the whole thing is extremely solid. I may just glue the cooler's lower mounting tab to the bracket with RTV. Getting in there to drill would be challenging, though I could probably do it with my angled drill attachment and pop in a couple self-tapping screws. Yeah, I'll do that.

I also picked up some fittings to mount my inline trans fan thermostat. This should be really simple wiring wise as no relay is needed. Just one power wire in split loom from the battery and ground at the fan. This is basically what I will piece together.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 05-03-2019 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:29 AM   #162
06YarisRS

Final Intercooler and Trans Cooler Mounting

Got the second hole drilled through the crash bar. I have finally come to understand what is meant by a "high speed" metal drill bit. My pathetic little cordless drill doesn't spin fast enough to cut well. I borrowed my neighbour's corded drill and it cut through fast. My corded drill bit the dust a while back. Time to pick up another one.

Final mount for intercooler. This thing is rock solid. I positioned it to maintain all of my piping clearances.

Drilled and used self-tapping screws to secure the lower part of the trans cooler to the lower bracket. Again, extremely solid.

Throttlebody/MAF charge pipe in final position. With the Corolla this actual pipe comes closer to the throttle body and the clamps would be closer together. I have about 2" of coupler between the end of the pipe and the throttebody. I hope this doesn't cause too much ballooning of the coupler. Worst case scenario, I put a wide clamp on the coupler about 1/2 way. Will have to consult the tuner on this one.

Oil catch can... I spoke with the tuner today via IM and he says that my stock PCV system will be fine with this fairly low boost application. I told him I planned to put a breather/filter on the valve cover outlet and he said that's exactly what he would recommend. I may still pick up a catch can and install it.