Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-20-2008, 04:18 PM   #73
CKaelin

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5 speed
I really love mine too! Last night was the first time I got to really test it out in the snow. I was a bit disapointed at its traction starting in snow from a dead stop. I'm sure better tires would improve this but otherwise it handles great once moving! MY mileage dipped to it's lowest yet this tank. 38.2 mpg. It's been cold. Gotta fiigure out a way to get back up over 40mpg in the cold!

My other ride's a Gixxer!
CKaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:30 PM   #74
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKaelin View Post
I really love mine too! Last night was the first time I got to really test it out in the snow. I was a bit disapointed at its traction starting in snow from a dead stop. I'm sure better tires would improve this but otherwise it handles great once moving! MY mileage dipped to it's lowest yet this tank. 38.2 mpg. It's been cold. Gotta fiigure out a way to get back up over 40mpg in the cold!
Snow tires !!!

I live in the next town from you, and you know how much snow we got here more than 12 inches, I went out for a ride in 4-5 inches of snow on the roads, spoilers where just touching the snow. I had no problem! Snow tires make a big difference.

I sold the OEM tires they where usless in wet/snow conditions.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #75
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZING View Post
My yaris does 55MPG, if not more. I will look into it.

55 mpg? Sure you don't mean mph??? That's just hard to believe... Why would they advertise it at 36 hwy (or whatever was on the window sticker; I forget) if it routinely gets 40 or better (55 is quite a leap; that's as good as the Smart car in Europe)? I managed 34 mpg last fill-up; my best yet...

otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:53 AM   #76
Luna V 2.0

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Blazing Blue
Send a message via AIM to Luna V 2.0
My average is in the low 30s and thats all city. I do no highway driving. I guess with highway driving you could hit 40s.

To hit 50s my guess is a lot of hypermiling techniques. I don't think Toyota wants to advertise it for it's real mileage because it would steal sales away from the Prius. It'd be bad marketing, especially when the Prius is much more expensive.

I'm not complaining, how often do you buy something that performs better than it was advertised?
Luna V 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:57 AM   #77
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Well, plus the EPA is an estimate from an outside source (not Toyota).

They say it's under 'normal conditions', in which they must drive pretty erratic because I have rarely hit under 40 on the highway.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:53 PM   #78
briman

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris, automatic
I'm happy with everything about the car except I wish I had bought the power package, may fault, and the milage -car's fault.

I get low 30's on highway and low 20's to mid 20's in town. Yes, I am a very frugal driver in town. Not as much on the highway. I'd still like to see high 30's though.
briman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:28 AM   #79
yarisnewbie

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris Liftback
I love it!

Hi, I recently got my Yaris and i love it.I've been wanting this car for so long and i fell in love with it from the first time i saw the Infomercial on TV.
It's so cute! So yes, i am very happy with my Yaris!!!
yarisnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #80
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
was until the recent recall . . Now gotta worry about the help screwing up or damaging something when / if taken in for fix . .
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #81
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
was until the recent recall . . Now gotta worry about the help screwing up or damaging something when / if taken in for fix . .
What recall?

Old 01-29-2009, 03:14 PM   #82
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
these recalls , www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28891251/ .
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #83
derickveliz2

mmm... not a big deal, I put the seatbelts every day but I'm not planing on using them.

Besides that, I'm very HAPPY with my little yaris... specially with my BEFORE and AFTER
Old 01-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #84
Demon

Drives: Yaris 1.0 SCP10
I'm really happy!!

My Yaris is now 8 and a half years old. When my mother brought it (9/2000), I was 10. In this little car I spent lot of time, and I remeber that THAT little car, has never stop running. We use it in several ways: from the city to the highway, from the mountain to the sand of beaches. Our yaris didn't have problems in 8 long years. I remember lots of embarassing situations, whit bigger and more expensive car that doesn't start whit cold, and my yaris did. I remember long travels, in 4 persons whit tons of luggage, always in the yaris. I remember that I've hated this car long time ago, because I was too stupid to understand: I wished that my mother buy an Italian car, for my country "health". But nowadays, I'm so thankful to my mothers yaris, that I decided to keep this car as mine, instead to buy a newer car, or to get something more powerful.

My mission is to give to MY Yaris something that she never had: power, and racing style !!!
Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:26 AM   #85
Woody_Woodchuck

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5M
With about 7,000 miles on mine it has been great. Does exactly what I bought it for, point A to point B inexpensively and reliably. The Echo/Vitz/Yaris has been around the world now for… 10 years or so? I found nothing but praise for it in all my research, from the folks driving it not the major review websites. That’s the reason I bought one! Sounds like Otterhere should move on, sell the Yaris and get the vehicle of her dreams and be happy. Sorry if that is blunt but life is too short to spend time worrying or complaining about something that YOU CAN change.

I have had no issue at all with the seatbelts catching on anything, they work fine. Cheap interior? Well, what were you hoping for flashing disco lights over fake fur and a wet bar? It’s a car. A vehicle. Not a living room. If you spend that much time in it to where you feel you live there, get something more cushy… and much more expensive. I will agree that the plastic scratches very easily and the paint (clear coat), well, it really sucks. But folks who complain about this inexpensive vehicle’s interior obviously bought the wrong vehicle. Sorry, had to get that all out.

For the LB storage issue, I have three cardboard boxes behind the seat. First thing I did was take that stock shelf thing with the netting out. Visit an ABC store (liquor store) and pick a few boxes that fit nice and cut the height to the size you like. I work in a large office and the paper boxes are a perfect fit. Actually one box and two box tops. I can put groceries back there and the bottles do not roll over the bread now.

My mileage is still chasing Voodoo22’s, My lifetime average is 43.5 mpg with a couple 45 mpg tanks. Lowest mileage was 38, that was fully loaded, all highway going 10 over the speed limit and abusing the heck out of the skinny pedal. Terrain has more to do with possible mileage than driver I feel. If I had a flat commute or even slow slopes I know I could easily get 50+ MPG out of it. But, I do work at it. My high MPG numbers do not come easily where I live.

Overall so far the Yaris is great and I love it. Would I have bought something else if money was no object? Sure would have. I’d be posting on the Tesla website not here.
Woody_Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:32 AM   #86
otterhere

Believe it or not, I was GETTING *real* happy with my Yaris (having a hard time getting over my former love, the Suzuki Swift)...

Until I read about the Aygo on here... : (

Now I wish I'd waited till this SMALLER car came out (Yaris is so tall!!!)...

Wonder what I can get for a trade-in in a couple of years???
Old 01-30-2009, 10:43 AM   #87
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Believe it or not, I was GETTING *real* happy with my Yaris (having a hard time getting over my former love, the Suzuki Swift)...

Until I read about the Aygo on here... : (

Now I wish I'd waited till this SMALLER car came out (Yaris is so tall!!!)...

Wonder what I can get for a trade-in in a couple of years???
Where did you read about the Aygo coming to the US, do you have a link, just curious.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:34 AM   #88
Rich k

Drives: 07 3dr white Yaris 5spd stock
Send a message via AIM to Rich k
love it! and get consistant 49.9XX mpg tanks mid spring thru mid fall
Rich k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:35 AM   #89
otterhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
Where did you read about the Aygo coming to the US, do you have a link, just curious.

In this forum, somewhere; will try to find it. I think in the "buy new or wait till 2010" thread. By converting from metric to US, I've discerned that it's more than a foot shorter (in length), but am having trouble with the mileage claculations; sure 10 mpg isn't right, but it couldn't be 100... COULD IT??? Anyone have more info on Aygo?

Last edited by otterhere; 01-30-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #90
otterhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich k View Post
love it! and get consistant 49.9XX mpg tanks mid spring thru mid fall
What's your tire pressure? And other secrets to your success? 36 mpg here.