Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-19-2012, 05:15 AM   #1
tyrone_yaris

Drives: Toyota Vitz 2007 facelift
chirping sound in the morning or after a long time parked

Recently I have been hearing chirping sounds on the driver's side coming from somewhere under the hood. It only happens in the mornings or after work when the car has been parked for a long time.

It usually goes away after a few minutes when the engine is warm I suppose and I never hear it until the next morning.

Could it be the belt that needs replacement? The car is a Vitz 2007 model.

Thanks in advance
tyrone_yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Sounds like the serpentine belt (accessory belt). Could also just need to be re-tightened.

Mine sometimes sounds like that when it's cold in the mornings.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Definitely the belt. To be sure, and if you want to check, go take a look at it. On the "inside" of the belt (the side with the ridges) you'll see cracks if it's old.

Mine squeels because it's new, but I am too lazy to go tighten it.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
DARKSCOPE001

Drives: 2011 Yaris sedan
I also support the theory of a belt. If the car has 50 or so thousand miles on it just throw the 20 or so bucks at it to change the belt. Also it never hurts to go over the pulleys with some scotch brite. Every time you hear that squealing and chirping its the belt slipping. and it either leaves behind bits of the old belt causing a slick spot. Or something is built up on the pully resulting in a slick spot so throwing a new belt on there would be silly.

You could also try yanking a little harder on the alternator. Just losen the two bolts put a long hammer, axe, broom (use wood as not to damage the engine (and watch where you put that thing no need to put a hole in the engine) And just pull it a little tighter. could fix it could just bandage it till you can get a new one

Best Luck
Sean Scott
DARKSCOPE001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:29 AM   #5
tyrone_yaris

Drives: Toyota Vitz 2007 facelift
Wow!!! some good info.

Thanks guys will definitely change that belt and the scotch brite idea is good too :)
tyrone_yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
DARKSCOPE001

Drives: 2011 Yaris sedan
also i must say (and im sure you already knew this and im not trying to demean you) Do it once the belt is off and the engine is not running lol.

Not that you would try to do it with the car running but im sure there are people who would try but dont do it. nobody needs to go to the hospital today

again i know you probably wouldnt but anyone who likes this idea please dont do it with the engine running. you would be amazed what some people would try.

Good Luck
Sean Scott
DARKSCOPE001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
ijose 845

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris
i also have the same problems but my chrip is when i let off the clutch and it grabs theirs a chirp. but it only does it once in the morning then never again? idk what that could be
(i have manual btw)

Angry Bird Crew #1

ijose 845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
Spidermandud

Drives: Black '08 Yaris Hatch S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijose 845 View Post
i also have the same problems but my chrip is when i let off the clutch and it grabs theirs a chirp. but it only does it once in the morning then never again? idk what that could be
(i have manual btw)
I get this occasionally. Leads be to believe it isn't the belt. If it was a screech I'd be more willing to accept it was a belt; but it only seems to happen when the clutch is movin around. Maybe I just need to grease something.