Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
swiftyman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Can a mouse get into the pillars?

I am new to this forum, so I am sorry if I am posting in the wrong place. I briefly glanced around for any rules but couldn't find them so I just jumped right in. Onto my problem....

My wife texted me while I was at work today and told me the inside of her car smelled like a dead animal. So when I got home from work I started trying to find the source, and I will detail what I've done, and what my next steps are going to be tomorrow (since it is dark now) to see if I'm even heading in the right direction.

The first thing I did was remove the glove box and drop the blower fan down to see if the mouse was in there, but unfortunately it wasn't. After that I started to remove trim pieces, and then the stereo and heater control knobs. I also pulled out the center console and the 2 center pockets below the control knobs.

Questions....

1. Behind the stereo and the control knobs there is a big plastic white "thing" that the blower motor feeds into. I'm wondering if the mouse might have made its way in there but I don't know how likely that is? How do I get into this thing? I think I'm going to need to remove the whole dash but I hate to do that since I'm not even sure if it is in there. Would it be foolish to cut a hole in it somewhere and then patch it back up with HVAC heat tape?

2. Would it make more sense to look "above" the blower motor by taking the cowl off below the wiper blades? I read somewhere that's where the exterior inlet is.

I am currently *cough*acquiring*cough* the repair manual so hopefully that will help me out for tomorrow, but I'm also hoping some people on here can help me out. If anyone has any tips I would greatly appreciate it, or thinks it would be helpful to have pictures of the white "thing" I'm talking about, then I will go take some pictures.

Last edited by swiftyman; 04-24-2012 at 04:52 PM.
swiftyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That can be a nightmare. Once a mouse gets into the car it can go many places, including up above the headliner, as someone else on here had happen.

If you are fairly certain that it is within the HVAC system, getting all the way in is a bit of a nightmare. Behind the glove box you can get to the slot for the cabin air filter (which making sure that one is there will block future mice entry). Removing that slot and switching the air intake to recirculate will let you look into the entry side of the air system. From there you can see up to the cowl and down to the fan. If it went through the fan, then you will be dealing with the air box. You can remove the blower assembly to get a bit of access to the air box, but beyond that, getting the airbox out required removing the entire dash.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
ZANEGREY
ZANEGREY

Drives: 09 YARIS 2DR HATCH
I FOUND A DEAD ONE IN THE HEATER BOX .. IT HAD BEEN USING THE CARS INSULATION TO STUFF THE BOX .. I GUESS IT DID SUCH A GOOD JOB IT TRAPPED ITSELF AND DIED..

HAD TO OZIUM THE CAR FOR A WEEK...
ZANEGREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
swiftyman

I'm pretty certain now, that it isn't in the AC system. I forgot to check the smell by turning it on yesterday, and I did it today before I started working on it and it smells normal.

I pulled up the trim below the Front Passenger door, and smelled inside where the clips latch into and it smells pretty bad so I'm thinking the dead mouse might be in there or in my passenger side A Pillar.

Is there any way to get into that pillar or into the frame below the door for me to look? I've been looking around but can't find anything.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftyman View Post
I'm pretty certain now, that it isn't in the AC system. I forgot to check the smell by turning it on yesterday, and I did it today before I started working on it and it smells normal.

I pulled up the trim below the Front Passenger door, and smelled inside where the clips latch into and it smells pretty bad so I'm thinking the dead mouse might be in there or in my passenger side A Pillar.

Is there any way to get into that pillar or into the frame below the door for me to look? I've been looking around but can't find anything.
If your 07 doesn't have the curtain side airbags, you can just pop the A pillar cover with your fingers. If it has them, then you have to get a replacement of the upper clip, as it will break in the process of removing the pillar cover.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
swiftyman

ok I'll go try that right now. Is the clip just a generic clip I can get from a parts store or do I need to get something specific?
Old 04-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
^ was waiting all day for that...
Old 04-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
ok I'll go try that right now. Is the clip just a generic clip I can get from a parts store or do I need to get something specific?
It's a dealer only part, but you'll see a round button on the the pillar that says SRS if you have the airbag there. The clip is part of that round plastic piece.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
swiftyman

I don't have side curtain airbags, but I just popped that off and its not open. There is just solid metal behind it :(

If I take the dash out is there any opening behind it? Or am I pretty much screwed?
Old 04-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I don't have side curtain airbags, but I just popped that off and its not open. There is just solid metal behind it :(

If I take the dash out is there any opening behind it? Or am I pretty much screwed?
I forgot about the fact that there are only little holes under there into that hollow tube. The only large access into it is where the wire protector is for the wiring from there to the door.

When you had the cover off did you sniff around to see if the smell was stronger and hence you are looking in the correct place?
Old 04-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
swiftyman

I'm pretty sure it's the right place. I found a small access under the glovebox, behind the lowest piece of trim that is over the pillar but I can't see anything. When I smell in the holes below the scuff plate there is definitely a funky smell coming out, but I can't quite tell if its the dead mouse smell or not since my allergies are terrible right now lol. Guess I'll have to use some nasal spray.

Is there any way to get into the area(s) below the scuff plate without cutting into the car?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The skid plate area has a few small access holes, under the carpet, that are covered with silver stickers. There is a fairly large access hole on the A pillar, just above the connecters behind the kick plates.

Skid Plate.jpg

A Pillar.jpg
Old 04-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #14
Geoff Peace

Drives: Yaris 1.33 litre 2011
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's the right place. I found a small access under the glovebox, behind the lowest piece of trim that is over the pillar but I can't see anything. When I smell in the holes below the scuff plate there is definitely a funky smell coming out, but I can't quite tell if its the dead mouse smell or not since my allergies are terrible right now lol. Guess I'll have to use some nasal spray.

Is there any way to get into the area(s) below the scuff plate without cutting into the car?
The tool you need is a boroscope. I hope that is the correct name in the U.S.A. It is a camera on the end of a long flexible lance which transmits images onto a screen about the size of a mobile phone, very useful for looking into insides of engines etc. without dismantling. They are expensive so perhaps may be able to hire one. It will save you a lot of time and effort.

Regards Geoff Peace.
Geoff Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #15
LA Yaris
Yaris323

Drives: 09 Sedan Yaris 06 Ford Mustang
Mickey Mouse is dead... :(
LA Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #16
09sedan

Drives: 2009 yaris sedan
any luck? :)