Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-09-2007, 01:56 PM   #19
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
One thing to mention is that with the power package you get the fog lights but on ebay you can easily get that for around $100. The g/f and I are 4" apart on height and we don't have to adjust anything. My Astro van had manual windows and when someone punched out my driver side window I managed to find a free replacement off of a non-running van with power windows. It was a pain in the ass to get the window out of the power equipped van, and to top if off the switch didn't work. I had to cut the wires and use a car battery (holding it with one knee) and touch the wires to the terminals to get the window in the right place to pull out. Getting the window in the correct position on my van was easy and there was no motor in the way either. I am just happy w/o the power package (I think $1200 is way too much anyway), although the fogs and split rear seat would have been nice.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:57 PM   #20
adamschneider

Drives: Bayou Blue 2dr, AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
If all goes as planned, I'll be going through Gladstone Toyota. I've had excellent service with them on my xB.
Okay, just don't pay MSRP, whatever you do.
adamschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #21
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamschneider View Post
Okay, just don't pay MSRP, whatever you do.
That shouldn't be a problem.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:41 PM   #22
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
Quote:
Around here, ABS seems to be only bundled with the Power Package. I'd kinda like ABS, although I could live w/o it. However, I thought I read the braking was a lot better w/ABS on the Yaris. Is there any truth to that?
opinions will vary, but ABS is another system that does effectively take control away from the driver. stopping distance are increased should the abs system modulate the brakes when no modulation is needed. there are documented instances where abs systems have gone off when they didnt need to, therefore drivers ended up stopping right into the intersection, instead of before it. we ordered our LB with the PP and without the abs. again this will vary from situation to situation. if you live in an area with icy roads, i figure abs will definitely save your ass from time to time. here in SoCal, abs is not a necessity. the effectiveness of abs will go on a case-by-case basis, so no blanket statement should be made whether abs is good or bad. hope this helps a bit...

--B
Old 07-09-2007, 05:54 PM   #23
Thirty-Nine

Of the 7 cars I've owned, 3 of them did not have it. In Oregon, the roads can get icy, but not that bad. I used to live in MN and WI and there ABS did indeed save me from spinning in several instances.

I thought I read that non-ABS braking distance was longer w/o ABS on the Yaris. Perhaps I'm wrong.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #24
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
That's what consumer's said.

I'll bet the power package will come in handy on resale. I personally wouldn't buy a car without power windows or mirrors.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:59 PM   #25
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
but by the time you are ready to sell or trade all that electric shit is broken anyway
Old 07-10-2007, 07:51 AM   #26
grampi

Drives: Corolla
Quote:
I personally would not get the aluminum wheel upgrade -- I would rather get aftermarket wheels.
You could get the factory alloys and run them during the winter months and store your nice aftermarket rims so the salt doesn't ruin them. That way you'd have nicer looking wheels on the car during the winter instead of having to run those steel wheels and cheezy looking plastic wheel covers. That's what I'm going to do.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:14 AM   #27
Thirty-Nine

Well, we don't use salt out here (thank God). Secondly, I can buy an aftermarket set of 15s for a lot less than the dealer would charge, which is $665 (MSRP) or $166.25 a wheel. However, I wouldn't mind a cheap set of alloys for the winter months -- there is a lot of gravel in the winter out here.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:35 AM   #28

Drives: 07 yaris
you are forgeting that the power package will come with side impact and side curtain airbags standard along with the abs. you will not get the power without those two items also. this is for the NW territory

this is the first car that i have owned with abs and on a lite car i could see it benefiting it. what i like is that there is no pedal pulse with this car.

good luck with your purchase
Old 07-10-2007, 10:09 AM   #29
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501 View Post
you are forgeting that the power package will come with side impact and side curtain airbags standard along with the abs. you will not get the power without those two items also.
I understand that. The car WILL have the side airbags. My decision is whether or not to go with the Power Package and ABS or w/o.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:37 AM   #30
myt

Drives: Blazing Blue 07 YAris
I would go with the power package...I thought about getting mine without it but the rolling down of the windows is just not worth it. Also, if you test drive a yaris and only put one window down or put one down lower than the other you hear this funny noise like when you just have the rear windows down in a 4 dr car. Also a note about the 60/40 seat, I love it. I am a pretty big guy 6' 1" and about 240lbs. So needless to say there can't be an adult behind me when I'm driving, I sit too far back. But that 60/40 is great because when me and my buddies go to bowling tournaments, I can fold down the 60 part(convieniently behind my seat :) ) and my buddies can sit in the other 2...PERFECT!. I think that you will be happier in the long run with the power package.

Myt
myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:30 PM   #31
grampi

Drives: Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501 View Post
you are forgeting that the power package will come with side impact and side curtain airbags standard along with the abs. you will not get the power without those two items also. this is for the NW territory
Where did you get this info? I looked up the option packages on Edmunds.com and the power package (PP) isn't shown as including side air bags or ABS. They are shown as separate options.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:35 PM   #32
Thirty-Nine

It's not part of the power package, but out here in the PNW, it's typically bundled with the power package.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:08 AM   #33
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
but by the time you are ready to sell or trade all that electric shit is broken anyway

My Camry had all power items still working at over 190,000 miles.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:45 AM   #34
Stoln

Drives: 2007 5 Door Hatch
Why not get the power options. Later the resale on the car is better if it is fully equipped. Don't go on the notion that the power options will fail, you do have warrantee and the convinience. In my opinion power option is worth it as you will definately not be paying MSRP for the car.
Stoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:27 PM   #35
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoln View Post
Why not get the power options. Later the resale on the car is better if it is fully equipped. Don't go on the notion that the power options will fail, you do have warrantee and the convinience. In my opinion power option is worth it as you will definately not be paying MSRP for the car.

Because I could save about $1,200. However, there is that resale thing.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:07 PM   #36
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Quote:
Because I could save about $1,200. However, there is that resale thing.
I plan to drive mine into the ground. There won't be much left to resale when I'm through.

again, I don't like power