Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Installed my ebay sedan fog lights today and trd grill badge....

So if i had to do it over again i would have bought OE kit or a kit from garm. Was not worth the few bucks i saved for the ebay kit for the time it took to modify the housing and install everything. The first pic you can see how awful the housing sits flush with the bumper. There is this large gap on the top and on the bottom. I have read reviews from installs from other sedan owners talking about it but did not expect it to be this bad.

I will post a DIY later once I have the time with some step by step pictures how to fix this problem. Pretty much consisted of filing off some of some portions of the housing along the sides and the back. And aid of a hair dryer to mold it slightly so it sits more contured. Afterwards it looked 90 percent better but still not perfect. When i have more time i may go at it again till its perfect to my liking.

Since i had the bumper off i took the time to put 5 coats of black paint and 2 coats of clear coat on my vios grill. Paint was already starting to chip off after 5 months. Hopefully this time should last a really long time now.

YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
LA Yaris
Yaris323

Drives: 09 Sedan Yaris 06 Ford Mustang
Looking Good.

LA Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
No offense but the fit and finish on those things is just awful, and its just gonna get worse over time.. All the molding you did with the hair dryer will be undone by the sun.

The gap on the eyelids, the gaps on the grill, the gaps on the foglights.... kinda looks like someone slapped your yaris across the face.

The car looks good overall, the details are killing it though. I think you and I both need hood seal kits from garm too... The sedan front bumper clips are, well plastic for starters.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
The plastic wont bend more over time?

And don't feel bad, Garm's kit is the same. It doesn't fit perfectly either, and has to be modified pretty heavily in order to fit. Im not the only one who went through this. This is why with my dads car, I went OEM, and didnt have a single problem.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
Meteorite_Marty

Drives: 2008 5-door Yaris Hatchback
I have Garms kit for hatchback and it fits perfectly flush.

Why not just order the housings from Toyota dealership? Its a few bucks more and at least you won't have to scrap the lights and wiring. That is, asssuming the lights you bough mount the same way to the plastic housing.
Meteorite_Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I think it looks ok in the pics, but maybe not up close in detail. These cars look SO much better with foglights!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
AzNguy

Drives: Toyota Yaris Sedan 2009
I gotta say, that housing looks like the one I bought from Garm. Same gaps I see on my '09 sedan. :(
AzNguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:45 PM   #8
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Theres really actualy no gap now that im done. The first pic is just to show you how horrible it was and the others show you how it looks after the modifying was done. You cant really tell unless you are looking really close. And since they are at the bottom of the car you arnt really going to see it. There is just a teeny tiny gap. I got tired of trying to mess with it and just wanted to put my bumper back on. I may see how much the plastic housing alone is from the dealer. Anyone happen to know the part number?

As regards to the gaps on the eyelids i know they are slightly off. With the 3m tape its kinda a 1 shot. I ran out. When i get to it im going to remove them and install them a little better. Truthfully no one really has said or noticed anything unless you are looking strait up close.

The gap in the grill is only ont he top and you only see it from a certain angle. Standing 2 feet away looking strait at the car it looks 100 percent normal looking.

I do have the hood seal kit. Simular to garm sells. I put it on awile ago before garm started to sell it on his website.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:55 AM   #9
H3LlIoN

Drives: '09 Yarrrr hatch
SHROUD LH: 81482-52260
SHROUD RH: 81481-52330

Special thanks to Cali Yaris, 1NZYaris1 and lilredrocket
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #10
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
My LB Ebay fog kit also had crappy fit on the black trim pieces. When I went to snap one of them in a tab broke off! FWIW the bulbs that are included with these fit poorly and don't seal correctly. By Philips or Osram "Made in Germany" bulbs that I used. They are cheap on sealant holding in the glass, so I applied 3145 RTV and thus far no leaks..

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote