Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-17-2021, 10:45 PM   #1
vince90ca
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 2007 Sedan Manual
Exclamation Speedometer issue: Cluster shows 2X true speed w speed limitation at 95 km/h (190km/h

Few months ago started a strange issue. Speed on the cluster read is double that the true speed (i.e for driving at a true speed of 50 km/h, the cluster shows 100 km/h).

Issue is intermittent, but its frequency worsens during last weeks (from lasting few seconds to be there 90% of the time) and when outside temperature is very cold (-10 C and below).

Since 2 weeks it's so worst in frequency that I noticed 2 more major related issues:
- I cannot drive at a true speed more that 90-95 km/h (185-190 km/h) because it now trigers the engine speed limitation / cut-off;
- for each 1 kilometer driven the Odometer and trip meter increases of 2 kilometer.
- about 5 % of time, the cluster shows a speed of 0 km/h while I'm driving.

I went to the Toyota dealer of my area. They think it's maybe the Speed Sensor or the transmission gears. However, just to check the speed sensor, they advise they need to remove it from transmission case. After all these years, they told me the speed sensor is jammed/weld and will probably break during removing attempts.
Cost of the part is expensive: 560$ CAD + 2 hours of work
Just imagine if it does not fix the issue...

I have a Yaris 2007 Sedan base model with Manual transmission w/o cruise control, w/o ABS. For this specific model, the part is much more expensive (560 $ vs 100 $) and harder to remove.

- Did anybody ever had same unusual and major issue with their speedometer?

- If yes, what was the defective part?

Thank you.

Last edited by vince90ca; 02-17-2021 at 11:04 PM.
vince90ca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cut-off, double, speedometer