Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-18-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
mauiyaris

Drives: 09 yaris
aftermarket power lock problem

I went to a local highly recommend audio installer today to get a quote on installing power locks on my 4dr lb Yaris. He proceeded to remove the door latch/lock and told me it wasnt a good idea to install the aftermarket locks. He said something along the lines of "the stainless steel cable on the Yaris will break after time (rubbing issue) and that it would cost around $300 for the Toyota dealer to fix it". He told me that it has happened to 8 newer Toyotas over the last couple of years. He said it was absolutely possible but that he didnt at all recommend it for my application. Has anyone encountered a problem with the cable actuated aftermarket power locks (causing problems over time) on their Yaris?

thanks
mauiyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
I had a stereo shop install power locks for 200 bucks and I've had to take it back 4 or 5 times so far. The cable was rubbing on some plastic inside the door, and the door would get stuck locked. They cut out some of the plastic and it has been working fine ever since.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:47 PM   #3
mauiyaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
I had a stereo shop install power locks for 200 bucks and I've had to take it back 4 or 5 times so far. The cable was rubbing on some plastic inside the door, and the door would get stuck locked. They cut out some of the plastic and it has been working fine ever since.
how long ago did you have them installed? Im more concerned about the cable breaking over time. which is the problem the installer says I will encounter.

thanks
Old 04-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
the exposed cable is more likely to rust than breaking. It shouldn't be a problem if well greased though.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
I installed an aftermarket kit in my 07 Sedan about a year ago and have not had any problems.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Mine was installed recently at the dealership. It was a Karr part. No problem so far, knock on wood.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
yaris prime
Yes- I fit in it.

Drives: 2007 Yaris liftback, MT
I installed the A1 windows, locks and a keyless kit on my car a couple of weeks ago. I am very concerned about the cable breaking, as the actuator travel is more than the cable travel when locking/unlocking. In other words, the actuator wants to move the cable farther than it can go. This causes a visible strain on the cable. I am working on a solution to this and will update accordingly.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
it'll last about as long as any cable driven actuator....not very long.

i'm a tech for toyota/gmc/chrysler and lemme tell u. i've had cars with 200k miles and cable driven stuff working fine, windows locks...whatever. and i've had cars with less than 8k miles on them with dropped windows and locks not working. so you tell me how long it's going to work. there's no telling, depends on your area, quality of steel used, how often u use it, how well you take care of it, and mainly.....QUALITY OF PRODUCT.

so, for 100 bux...i'm gonna be gettin the kit soon, with keyless entry. i can fix a cable driven setup easy...either rig the cable or replace the actuator, either way is easy and inexpensive
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:54 AM   #9
mauiyaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris prime View Post
I installed the A1 windows, locks and a keyless kit on my car a couple of weeks ago. I am very concerned about the cable breaking, as the actuator travel is more than the cable travel when locking/unlocking. In other words, the actuator wants to move the cable farther than it can go. This causes a visible strain on the cable. I am working on a solution to this and will update accordingly.
This may be what my installer was trying to explain to me. keep us posted as I want to do this mod but would rather not have cables breaking on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
there's no telling, depends on your area, quality of steel used, how often u use it, how well you take care of it, and mainly.....QUALITY OF PRODUCT.
how do you take care of it? and what brand would you recommend as a quality product?
Old 04-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #10
lilred08

Drives: 08 Hatch
MY CABLE BROKE.. do not get them installed. unless you can find special actuators made for this application. i had my cable snap not even a year in
lilred08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #11
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred08 View Post
MY CABLE BROKE.. do not get them installed. unless you can find special actuators made for this application. i had my cable snap not even a year in
What kit did you have? Everyone here that has gotten the kits from a1 electric love them and haven't had any problems to the best of my knowledge.
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #12
lilred08

Drives: 08 Hatch
uhmm i jus had power actuators installed from the shop i work at. send me a link of the kit and i can tell you if its similiar
lilred08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:41 PM   #13
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
uhmm i jus had power actuators installed from the shop i work at. send me a link of the kit and i can tell you if its similiar

They were probably not designed for your car. They probably took a regular kit and tried modding it to fix your cable which probably put it in a bind. Or maybe when they cut off the outside plastic protector of the cable, they may have accidently cut a few of the wires of the cable itself which would cause it to fail at a faster rate.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:29 PM   #14
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
They were probably not designed for your car. They probably took a regular kit and tried modding it to fix your cable which probably put it in a bind. Or maybe when they cut off the outside plastic protector of the cable, they may have accidently cut a few of the wires of the cable itself which would cause it to fail at a faster rate.
Agreed
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #15
KrazyDawg

Drives: 08 3dr LB AT
Quote:
The first week I had my aftermarket power door locks installed, the passenger side was having issues. It wasn't locking. I can't remember what the fix was but they told me that the wire was thin. They didn't replace any parts to my knowledge. About 6 months later, the passenger side couldn't be unlocked from within the car. I have a switch installed but you couldn't manually unlock it from the inside. I had to use the key to unlock it from the outside. The shop I had the work completed at told me the cable broke since it was thin.

It's part #15. Toyota gave them the wrong part which was #14. They put a temporary fix on it while awaiting the correct part. Yesterday the temporary fix stopped working and now I have to manually lock the door from the outside.

Are Toyotas with power door locks installed using a different cable or do they have an actuator that's designed to put less stress on the cable? It would be a common problem of the cable snapping since it's thin.

P/N: 69750-52060

Last edited by KrazyDawg; 08-24-2010 at 03:15 PM.
KrazyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The Toyota actuators are part of the lock assembly, so they don't use the cable for the unlocking, just for flipping the manual lever back and forth.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:23 PM   #17
KrazyDawg

Drives: 08 3dr LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The Toyota actuators are part of the lock assembly, so they don't use the cable for the unlocking, just for flipping the manual lever back and forth.
It's the steel wire that broke on the cable with the white connector.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg actuator.jpg (79.6 KB, 105 views)

KrazyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:40 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyDawg View Post
It's the steel wire that broke on the cable with the white connector.
Understood. They are really not meant for yanking on (other than by hand with the little lever).

Did the cable break right by one of the aftermarket actuators metal stops?

Try flipping the lock lever by hand and comparing how far the stops move back and forth versus when you lock/unlock with power.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote