Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2020, 10:49 PM   #1
ChrisZX2
 
Drives: 2018 3dr auto 1.5
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: louisiana
Posts: 5
2018 1.5 auto upgrades?

I bought a nice, used, 2018 1.5 auto 3dr. I LOVE the car, but...... she's a little slow...

Now I'm not looking to put car lengths on a Supra, just want a few bolt ons. Something thats a good "bang for your buck", and most importantly... NOT void the warranty lol
ChrisZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:38 PM   #2
Joey Anchors
Yep
 
Joey Anchors's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Yaris 1422
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 13
Realistically any bolt-ons (intake, header, exhaust) won’t make it much faster.. but it will make it seem faster and a lot more fun to drive.

As to what’s available.. someone else with more knowledge of the newer models have to chime in.
Joey Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:34 AM   #3
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2
 
mitch9521's Avatar
 
Drives: NCP131, F-150
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Brantford, Ontario
Posts: 349
First mod should be a manual swap.
__________________
2014 NCP131 5 Speed
2007 F150 4.2L 5 Speed

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 12:51 PM   #4
ChrisZX2
 
Drives: 2018 3dr auto 1.5
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: louisiana
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch9521 View Post
First mod should be a manual swap.
I said not void the warranty lol Plus I'm disabled and just walking with my leg hurts much less pushing a clutch pedal.

I decided on a intake (just for sound, because the little 1nz does sound nice at high revs) and a 2ZZ throttle body to get rid of the WOT from a stop problem (the problem being, the car will not go WOT from a stop no matter if pedal is to the floor or not. Even with TC off. Its the most annoying thing about this car lol
ChrisZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 05:21 PM   #5
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2
 
mitch9521's Avatar
 
Drives: NCP131, F-150
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Brantford, Ontario
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZX2 View Post
I said not void the warranty lol Plus I'm disabled and just walking with my leg hurts much less pushing a clutch pedal.

I decided on a intake (just for sound, because the little 1nz does sound nice at high revs) and a 2ZZ throttle body to get rid of the WOT from a stop problem (the problem being, the car will not go WOT from a stop no matter if pedal is to the floor or not. Even with TC off. Its the most annoying thing about this car lol
You're not gonna get much gains on a slushbox. Intake, header and exhaust might get you 10whp but thats about it. It'd be on-par with a stock manual car at most.
__________________
2014 NCP131 5 Speed
2007 F150 4.2L 5 Speed

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 03:54 AM   #6
Calrenman
 
Drives: 2015 Toyota Yaris LE Hatchie
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: So. Cal. Ventura
Posts: 43
I feel ya on the automatic. It does seem to shift early/ low RPM. I imagine that it is computer controlled.

Sifting shift points with a sport button would be nice. Does the SC have a "sport button"? Is it French Built? Would The hatch backs be pre wired for a "sport" button?

I wish there was a manual for the 2015 up, but I have not found a chilton or a hanyes much less an FSM (Factory Service Manual).
Oh gooruuzs of yaris give us lowly wrench swingers your wizdom!

P.S. adding a "sorts" button would shred your warranty unless done by a factory authorized Mechanic and documented according to said contract. Then again most aftermarket bolt on stuff would do the same if I remember correctly. Besides isn't it 3/36 for a yaris. Any ad-on warrantees would gut you in the fine print for ANY MODS!

Fly by wire would eliminate WOT unless you changed/ burned your computer/ chip!

Last edited by Calrenman; 05-30-2022 at 04:05 AM.
Calrenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 04:11 AM   #7
Calrenman
 
Drives: 2015 Toyota Yaris LE Hatchie
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: So. Cal. Ventura
Posts: 43
Mitch, I do not know if with a computer you could swap to a manual. The main control module would get freaked out when it realized it did not have a tranny anymore! No shift data or feedback from sensors... It would code!
Calrenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 06:47 PM   #8
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2
 
mitch9521's Avatar
 
Drives: NCP131, F-150
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Brantford, Ontario
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calrenman View Post
Mitch, I do not know if with a computer you could swap to a manual. The main control module would get freaked out when it realized it did not have a tranny anymore! No shift data or feedback from sensors... It would code!
Get an ECU out of a same year manual Yaris. Problem solved.
__________________
2014 NCP131 5 Speed
2007 F150 4.2L 5 Speed

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 06:47 AM   #9
ChrisZX2
 
Drives: 2018 3dr auto 1.5
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: louisiana
Posts: 5
Update: found another with my same issue. I'm not crazy afterall, the ECU is indeed limiting throttle to 80% max, and only 50% from a stop at WOT. This PLX device mentioned is cheap enough to try and seems to solve the "lag" issue but not the 80% problem. I'll be happy enough with that for now until I swap throttle bodies to a 2ZZ unit, which takes care of the issue altogether.

https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...t=14476&page=2
ChrisZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:06 PM   #10
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2
 
mitch9521's Avatar
 
Drives: NCP131, F-150
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Brantford, Ontario
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZX2 View Post
Update: found another with my same issue. I'm not crazy afterall, the ECU is indeed limiting throttle to 80% max, and only 50% from a stop at WOT. This PLX device mentioned is cheap enough to try and seems to solve the "lag" issue but not the 80% problem. I'll be happy enough with that for now until I swap throttle bodies to a 2ZZ unit, which takes care of the issue altogether.

https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...t=14476&page=2
The difference in airflow from 80% to 100% is negligible.
__________________
2014 NCP131 5 Speed
2007 F150 4.2L 5 Speed

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:31 AM   #11
ChrisZX2
 
Drives: 2018 3dr auto 1.5
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: louisiana
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch9521 View Post
The difference in airflow from 80% to 100% is negligible.
I paid for the whole throttle, Imma use the whole throttle

In seriousness, I wonder what the actual measured CFM would be between 80% and 100%.
ChrisZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:44 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.