Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-28-2021, 08:03 AM   #1
Signats

Drives: 2008 hatch
Love hate 2008 lift back

Picked up a lowish mileage (81k miles) 2008 lift back last week, loved it in the city and on county roads.....but hated it on the interstate. It was all over the place at any speed over 70mph.

The car just drifted all over it's lane, and it got blown around by wind and the wind wash from the other cars and trucks on the road, and it plain did not feel safe.

A google search quickly pointed out the YW forums and thanks to all the favorable posts regarding the rear sway bar, I went ahead and got the TRD one for my car and installed it yesterday.

This is a (rare) product that works as advertised, and I'm super impressed with the way my car now cruises down the turnpike, the speed limit here is only 65 but the "pack" goes anywhere from 75 to 80 mph and my car now feels comfortable keeping up and dicing through the trucks.

Yesterday was also very windy with gusts up to 20mph and the wind did not knock me around either.

In the city the handling became flatter (much less body roll) and more precise, the car is a sweet little city go-kart, so I liked it there as well.

Great in the city, feels like a normal sized car on the freeway, only downside is the cost which seems kind of high for a metal bar.

All in all I'm super happy with this car now that it is working like it should have from the factory.
Signats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 09:40 AM   #2
mannycheckers

Drives: 2009 Yaris 2dr Liftback
I agree. The rear swaybar has been one of my most satisfying upgrades to the vehicle. I also recommend getting the TRD shocks and springs to further increase handling.
mannycheckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:35 PM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Sounds like a really good thing to do to your car if you own A Yaris.

And the wind gives you a problem.

Having driven Volkswagen beetles in the 70s Driving a Yaris and the wind is a piece of cake!

Old 05-28-2021, 03:32 PM   #4
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I don't have any bars but I noticed similar results from changing wheels and tires. The factory steelies and donut like tires had me bouncing around on the freeway. Larger, wider wheels really sat the car down for me.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 04:16 PM   #5
Signats

Drives: 2008 hatch
Tires are next, the ones on it now are made of vinyl I think. Going to keep the stock 15" steel wheels for budget reasons.
Signats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:28 PM   #6
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signats View Post
Tires are next, the ones on it now are made of vinyl I think. Going to keep the stock 15" steel wheels for budget reasons.
To eliminate highway wander, choose a non-aggressive tread design with a wide continuous centre rib.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:08 PM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I always wondered work for donuts on the car Would handle like it if you could get them for cheap.