Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-10-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
TitaniumBarbell

Drives: Yaris 3Dr LiftBLACK
Which front bar do you prefer? Strut or Sway?

Hi to everybody!

Recently, I installed rear TRD Sway Bar and I'm satisfied of the new handling car. although sacrificed a little pounds.

I'm thinking to acquire a front bar. Which bar do you recommend me? Front Strut bar or Front Sway bar? I'm thinking both bars do practically the same thing, or I'm wrong?

Thanks!

Front Strut Bar:

Front Sway Bar:

Modz: 5" Antenna ↘ %35 Tints ↘ Seat Covers ↘ OEM Mudguards ↘ OEM Rear Bumper Protector ↘ Dash Carpet Protector ↘ Valor Tip ↘ Interior LED Lights ↘ Hyper White H4 Lights ↘ Fog Lights ↘ RS Spoiler ↘ 15" OEM Alloys ↘ TRD Springs ↘ TRD Rear Sway Bar↘ TRD CAI ↘ Black RS Taillights

Changed Oil/Filter ↘ April 28, 2009.
TitaniumBarbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:29 AM   #2
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Why not open a can of worm's .
first off you already have a front sway bar installed
so i would put a strut bar on , feel the differance then the heavier sway bar and sway bar links .
my 2 cents worth
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:42 AM   #3
TitaniumBarbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
Why not open a can of worm's .
first off you already have a front sway bar installed
so i would put a strut bar on , feel the differance then the heavier sway bar and sway bar links .
my 2 cents worth
No, I don't have a front sway bar, I have a rear sway bar...
Modz: 5" Antenna ↘ %35 Tints ↘ Seat Covers ↘ OEM Mudguards ↘ OEM Rear Bumper Protector ↘ Dash Carpet Protector ↘ Valor Tip ↘ Interior LED Lights ↘ Hyper White H4 Lights ↘ Fog Lights ↘ RS Spoiler ↘ 15" OEM Alloys ↘ TRD Springs ↘ TRD Rear Sway Bar↘ TRD CAI ↘ Black RS Taillights

Old 05-10-2009, 01:46 AM   #4
Deltasix

Drives: '07 Liftback: Work in Progress
Send a message via AIM to Deltasix
Pretty sure the Yaris comes with a front sway bar, so you already have one. I'd go with the strut tower brace, I have that and a rear sway and, for an aggressive daily driver, it handles quite well.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:46 AM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Clarity:

1. The Yaris comes with a front sway bar, but no rear sway bar. You added a rear (good choice!), you already have a front one. Making the front one thicker will not be a good idea in terms of handling at this time (there IS a time and place to upgrade that).

2. The front strut tower brace might help under extreme cornering conditions, but it does not serve the same function as a front sway bar (which you already have, in stock form).
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:36 AM   #6
AlainMikli

Drives: ings 09 Yaris 3 Door LiftBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Clarity:

1. The Yaris comes with a front sway bar, but no rear sway bar. You added a rear (good choice!), you already have a front one. Making the front one thicker will not be a good idea in terms of handling at this time (there IS a time and place to upgrade that).

2. The front strut tower brace might help under extreme cornering conditions, but it does not serve the same function as a front sway bar (which you already have, in stock form).
Very Detail

I'll perfer Front Strut Bar Too....
REAL JDM ings+1 Full Body Kit…REAL JDM C-One Spoiler…Retrofit Projector Headlight…Kiddo 6-pots BBK…CE 28N J-Time Attack…Bride Ergo II Racing Seat…Personal Steering Wheel…Work Bell Quick Release…Dealer Option Sun Roof…JDM RS LED Side Mirror…JDM RS Taillight…C-One Oil Cap…C-One Radiator Cap…TRD Iridium Racing Spark Plug…Tom's Fuel Map Controller…Blitz throttle controller…GReddy Informeter Touch…MR Suspension…TRD Rear Sway Bar…MR C-Pillar Bar…GTspec Front Strut Bar & Rear Strut Bar…AFE Intake…WR Header…Nitto Mid-Pipe…Greddy Ti-C axleback…Goodridge SS Brake Line…
To do: Supercharger…
AlainMikli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #7
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Clarity:

why do you say not to install a larger front bar?

macpherson struts are known to have terrible camber curves and a larger front sway bar can help maintain camber during compression allowing for INCREASED front grip.

Strut Tower bars do very little except look pretty (on the Yaris).

swaybars have the chance to drastically change the handling of the Yaris.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:18 AM   #8
TitaniumBarbell

Thanks Garm and Deltasix for your information!

Old 05-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #9
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
larger front swaybar on a mac-strut, open differential'd yaris is going to make you SLOWER on the track.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
hmm, I guess i could see your point regarding the diff.

has anyone really tried a larger front sway on the Yaris?
Old 05-11-2009, 07:47 PM   #11
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
sway bars counteract body roll.

stb counteracts misalignment and movement of the front struts in uni-body cars. and doesnt really affect suspension like a sway bar...in hard cornering and large bumps the top-mounts of the struts actually move. the stb can save your windshield in serious cornering...that's about it. also reduces fatigue in the metal where the struts mount, and relieves stress where it WOULD flex if not stb was used.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:43 PM   #12
akirawm

Drives: YARIS 1.3
nice strut bar
akirawm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:46 PM   #13
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
arent the strut tower's attached to the firewall? upper strut bar won't do anything....
Old 10-16-2009, 07:36 AM   #14
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
arent the strut tower's attached to the firewall? upper strut bar won't do anything....
My thoughts exactly. Some vehicles had shock towers farther out from the firewall with only the fenders to support them. In these cases a strut bar is essential. Our Yaris' upper strut mounts being intregal to the firewall make them very well supported. Sure, a bar may be some insurance and they certainly look pretty, but far less important than in many other applications.
A cosmetic upgrade perhaps???
Interestingly, past forum comments by those who have installed them range from 'no noticable difference' to 'a huge improvement'.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #15
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
My thoughts exactly. Some vehicles had shock towers farther out from the firewall with only the fenders to support them. In these cases a strut bar is essential. Our Yaris' upper strut mounts being intregal to the firewall make them very well supported. Sure, a bar may be some insurance and they certainly look pretty, but far less important than in many other applications.
A cosmetic upgrade perhaps???
Interestingly, past forum comments by those who have installed them range from 'no noticable difference' to 'a huge improvement'.
I think it really comes down to how you drive your car. And what you expect out of it for the particular driver you are. The typical driver may not feel a mod such as a strut bar while the more agressive driver will. But the sway bar is something that you feel even when not driving agressively. Which is why more people can feel it and give positive response.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:07 AM   #16
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Hmm i noticed a really huge difference when i installed my front strut bar. I have the tannabe one. Especially on sharp turns and corners.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:07 AM   #17
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Speed increases G forces.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:42 AM   #18
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
go read the suspension guide folks.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote