Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-25-2013, 03:56 AM   #19
EddieCabael

Drives: Sedan_Toyota_Yaris_2010_Manual
While I am experiencing this occasional unwanted smell, I am always at “Recycling Air Setting” as my always normal usage. It is occasional in the sense that I am driving 4 sessions in a day but the smell comes not in every driving sessions but there is a guarantee that the smell comes every day. And ones it comes the smell fades and vanishes not in a minute without the need to set for a fresh air from outside. But this shortest period of time for inhaling the smell you will never want it.

According to company records when I verified at 8:45 A.M. KSA (GMT +3) Time 25-Nov-2013 today, their system shows what work have done with my clutch: Showing 3 parts were not done and only clutch cover and the sealant (release bearing) I asked what about the disk itself they said no because it is not on warranty coverage.

There is a conflict here: The good work requires one set replacement --- but their warranty coverage requires to not to include the consumable disk, so the possible effect will not match up the 100% precision of effectiveness so that it may stuck somewhere within the gearbox clutch system, so that also the clutch press will be more harder compared to other Yaris cars of the same model.

Their problem in the first place is --- they should implement the good work that requires 3 parts in a set in one gearbox opening for its clutch repair working and not just some of it. Although I remember it was for the time being-like that day when I took the car knowing what they did as described in my previous story.

From the AC System, as I used to tell no problem at all except if there are stains from the surround parts or places where they have repaired for it before.

I have no more idea than to risk money again maybe with the following:
To start where the company record shows of incomplete works and it is the Gearbox Clutch --- this of course again will be to my risk burden that I don’t have other good options for now.

Thank you very much my friend for your knowledge support.

Eddie Cabael
EddieCabael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:49 AM   #20
EddieCabael

Just now I drive other yaris, forward and reverse observing the Clutch behavior. The clutch is very very light and no sound at all as against my car.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #21
EddieCabael

Unique Smell from Air Going Through AC Blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
At this point I would pull the top of the dash off to gain access to look into the airbox to see if the evaporator is coated again (that is much easier than trying to remove the entire air box). With the dash top off you can also clean out the ducts. If the evaporator was cleaned or replaced, the ducts may still be very dirty and may be the source of the odor.

Do you notice a difference with the smell if you switch between recirculate and outside air?
I am considering your point as quoted.

Can you also please elaborate a reply from one of my Fans in FanBox Website as quoted below --- because I am not familiar with what he said as "Manifold Gaskets":

Larry Young --- North Carolina, United States

Anytime you get anything on the exhaust you will get a smell. First I would check for oil leaks around the manifold gaskets as it could be dripping on the exhaust. Check all your hoses that have air running through them and make sure they don't have any cracks or holes in them. Let me know what you find.

Last edited by EddieCabael; 11-27-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #22
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieCabael View Post
I am considering your point as quoted.

Can you also please elaborate a reply from one of my Fans in FanBox Website as quoted below --- because I am not familiar with what he said as "Manifold Gaskets":

Larry Young --- North Carolina, United States

Anytime you get anything on the exhaust you will get a smell. First I would check for oil leaks around the manifold gaskets as it could be dripping on the exhaust. Check all your hoses that have air running through them and make sure they don't have any cracks or holes in them. Let me know what you find.
He is talking about the gasket between the back of the engine and the exhaust manifold (which is the metal part at the back that brings the four exhaust ports down into the one exhaust pipe).

You can certainly check all of that, as one easy way to do so is to get the car hot and open the hood and sniff around. If an exhaust leak is the cause you should smell the same smell much stronger under the hood.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #23
EddieCabael

CORNERING Points for a Car Bad Smell Solution

Keep in mind that my Car or your Car is not talking whatever has been done unlike Doctor’s Patient --- so that in times of confusion as to which or where to start doing repair works again --- you will need to know and understand the details of the circumstances and surroundings for which you can squeeze a point and eventually make the exact solution to my or your problem.

On November-27-2013, I was continuously collecting various information and tactics in the attempt to corner points for a solution to my Car Bad Smell Problem Going through My Car AC Blower.

I went to many "Outside-Small-Car-Repair-Workshop-Vendors" and found only all ideas without the exact findings as to where be the root for that car smell problem of mine.

The following are my observations:

Nobody tends to pinpoint where is the source of the problem, maybe because of the nature that the situation is puzzle due to the facts that all nearest possible sources of the car bad smell problem have already been repaired or replaced.

While I am narrating to the Mechanics the exact history and performance of my car --- the doubts to pinpointing the exact solution for my car problems become more complicated.

Why? Breaks are intact, gearbox clutch is good, AC Compressor is just replaced with new one, AC Evaporator is just replaced with new one also and the AC Cooling System is excellent.

But the smell is still there coming from the AC Air Blower.

While my Car was under the warranty period, it went through the processes of needed repairs with the company before Oct-26-2013.

That means the presumption is: the needed repairs were executed by an Authorized Mechanic isn't it? So that you become more confused where is the problem?

OK. Why nobody tends to pinpoint for solution? Because if you are a Mechanic and you are also in puzzle as it is likely possible with this situation, you will tend to not tell the root cause of car smell problem because if you tell "this one", and later turned it's from "that one" then you are responsible as a Mechanic.

All Mechanics while in confusion, they tend to wait only from the car owner to signal which one you would like to start with working first.

Are you going to begin searching from?
Car Gearbox Clutch?
Car Breaks?
Car Drive Belt?
Car Engine Oil Leaks?
Smell from inside Car Only?
Car AC Compressor?
Car AC Evaporator?
It seems nothing left mentioning the sources of the Car Bad Smell except to replace the Car Engine.

Here's how it got solve in "My Way".

Observations from the Authorized Mechanic of the Car Company

Sir to whom it may concern:

He told me what has been done with my Car AC Cooling System: He said, the AC Compressor was replaced, the AC Evaporator has a leak and for that it was replaced with new one.

Yes and after that, my AC Cooling system becomes excellent but the problem is the car bad smell is still there.

Somewhere first week of November-2013, I went back to him for the last time because of my thinking that my car is no longer of warranty period --- I told him for the same car bad smell problem. He said that my car has really no problem especially with the car functionality=excellent.

Last week of November-2013, I called him on mobile with my intention of catching any focal point where I can have the start to get my problem solve.

I asked him about their company SOP specifically in the installation of AC Evaporator, if it is including the general cleaning before fixing. He said yes it's an SOP to clean before fixing.

Take a look on this --- if he saw by his eyes that the cleaning works has been carried out, he should have told me these things during our conversation to the effect that it has been actually cleaned.

The car stayed with the car company for around 3 days. If it included such required cleaning, he should have noticed this and tell this to me not just as SOP.

He failed to have a clear answer.

This is a lead point that you can work back the work that has already been done by them. Take note: it is a lead only.

When you are solving any Car Problem without the concrete ideas as to where to start exactly as needed, you have to begin from the nearest possible reason or root cause of the problem and must be with lowest cost involved.

In my case, I began changing the drive belt. At least you will have a good feel knowing your car has new belt now. Also maybe that smell problem is there. After I changed it, nothing affected on solving my car smell problem. I jumped my mind to proceed cleaning the Evaporator even I know that the car company is the one who made the recent repair because of the previous one I mentioned for the lead point.

Before doing so, I established a confirmation ideas (idea with S means not just one) to avoid further wastage of money. How I did it? I made it sure that my inside car has no Bad Smell at all for one and a half days running without AC turning On and only AC Blower being set to On. If the answer is No Car Bad Smell during this trial then this is one of the confirmation ideas.

Would you like to proceed now to open the entire dashboard and everything to take out the Car AC Evaporator at the bottom place of the dashboard to have it cleaned? This is involving cost of around SAR1000 ($266.66). In my point of view, it matters big and I will not proceed yet. I made it sure that my "AC Recycling Air" Open and Close functions are 100% effective; being the preferred one if it is closing completely and effective --- when I will set that AC Recycling Air button into “close setting”. Meaning it must not receive any air from outside totally --- to pinpoint that the Car Bad Smell Problem is only coming from the Car AC Evaporator, no need thinking from other far air point of entry inside the car.

In that instance, I made a spray of Car Air Freshener 1/4 of its content next to the AC Evaporator which is the AC Valve connected to it, plus this is very near to the AC Blower. This was executed through other person and I was inside my car with my Engine On, AC On and of course with the AC Blower On in addition to all car doors are closed.

If you didn't get the smell of “Car Air Freshener” in 3 to 5 minutes after spray, then your "AC Recycling Air" being set to closed is really functioning well and is taking no air from outside, to make a reason that maybe it is taking the smell from any troubled gearbox clutch. In my case, there was no smell at all coming from that “Car Air Freshener” sprayed on the AC Valve by another person. If I was wrong, it did not get my attention that I smelled the smell of “Car Air Freshener”.

Here is the summary of the lead and confirmation ideas:
1) Lead that the car Air box Plastic Case for the AC Evaporator and Heater was not actually cleaned or if cleaned not accordingly as required.
2) Confirming idea that the car is not bringing air from outside.
3) Confirming idea that the Car Bad Smell is only coming from the AC Evaporator brought about by the AC Blower even though the car has its latest repair history from an authorized company car mechanic.
4) Confirming idea that if I have a troubled gearbox clutch, its clutch smell is also not coming inside my car through the AC Blower.

From all of the above, I decided to let it go and have my AC Air box or whatever you call it --- the one holding the AC Evaporator and Heater be cleaned very well and also the Evaporator and Heater units individually cleaned.

What I found?

I found the Car Bad Smell I was taking in through my Lungs for more than a year now --- that smell was at the bottom of the AC Air box where the Evaporator is seated (this is the dirt remains from the old Evaporator the company has just removed recently and replaced with new one, and also a slight car bad smell contamination into the new Evaporator the company has just recently installed. There is no bad smell found on the Heater Core.

My Car Bad Smell Going through Car AC Blower Problem is now solved --- and the Car Bad Smell is gone while riding. Now it’s 4 days running free of bad smell from 30-Nov-2013. I know it will no more come again after doing needed cleaning thoroughly.

To anyone concerned --- when you read this Blog Post point by point --- This will enhance more on your perspective in the implementation of "Car-Repair-SOP" for Customer's Satisfaction for the benefit of both parties:
The Car Company and Customers as a whole.

Thanks GOD.

Thank you to all of you

Edito Tizon Cabael (Eddie Cabael)
Old 12-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #24
CTScott
ULTIMATE

If your car does not have a filter installed in the slot behind the glove box, make sure you install one to hopefully prevent this from happening again.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #25
EddieCabael

Yes I already installed one. Imagine, nearly 3 years I don't have that filter just because it is only optional and there is no part number in it as what they have explained before --- when I asked them there is a blank slot for a purpose why there was no filter installed. For this I felt embarrassed and I immediately installed one last week of Oct-2013.

I feel very weak now because it seems the smell is still there but it is reduced far behind to a very slight smell now because of the fact that I am the one also who helped in cleaning together with the Car-Electrician/Mechanic. I put my car under the peak of the day sunlight with 4 doors open as well as the back compartment and I cleaned thoroughly all the 4 original rubber floor mats. And it becomes even like a new one now smelling like hair conditioner. But there is still like a smell before but very slight smell. We already have cleaned the evaporator and the heater core including the entire Air box very very well, I can no more tell for the highest quality of cleaning for it.

Is my clutch doing the problem? There is a tooth-bite-like-sound upon pressing the clutch pedal as I described before but how this comes when my recycling air is effectively functioning. Aside from this, I really don't know, no more really.

OK, I still have to observe my car --- maybe the smell will eventually vanish. Now there is a smell but I can no more classify as bad smell like before + knowing how we already removed the dirt from Air box and all its components.

Regarding clutch: there was a click sound before and after that I just came to know when my car is like clutch hard press after long time. There is no clutch cable I noticed. If it is through with "clutch-oil-cylinder-control" with series to "break-oil-cylinder-control", how to know if the one for clutch is damaged. Not the gear box clutch itself because the car is running very well. But I could believe this is just another issue and not regarding the smell.

I am going to observe 3 to 4 more days for my car from now-03-Dec-2013 and I will tell you later after this if the smell is totally gone or not.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #26
EddieCabael

I am thinking now that I will not go apart from working on the AC Cooling System.

We cleaned only the physical evaporator and the heater core. What about the whole system itself? I remember my friend his name is Cris 6 years ago --- but I have no more contact with him. He is an Auto Electrician. Prior to putting the required Freon by himself for his own car; I saw another new thing to me and when I asked him if it was for what? He told me it is regarding FLASHING WORK before fixing the final Freon requirement. In what my friend have done about flashing --- we did not do this work for my car last week. The whole of my car bad smell before, now it's just like 1/4 of the smell being left.

I already cleaned my entire car outside and inside. I already kept my car under the heat of the sun 4.5 hours in day light for already 3 days with all the doors open.

But a little smell is still there --- although no more suffocating much as compared before.

I am trying to convince myself that this is due to not doing the “FLASHING WORK” as what my friend did as described above.

What do you think is the proper execution for this FLASHING WORK as far as my car is concerned?

Thank you CTScott for your support

Edito Tizon Cabael ( Eddie Cabael )

Last edited by EddieCabael; 12-04-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #27
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieCabael View Post
I am thinking now that I will not go apart from working on the AC Cooling System.

We cleaned only the physical evaporator and the heater core. What about the whole system itself? I remember my friend his name is Cris 6 years ago --- but I have no more contact with him. He is an Auto Electrician. Prior to putting the required Freon by himself for his own car; I saw another new thing to me and when I asked him if it was for what? He told me it is regarding FLASHING WORK before fixing the final Freon requirement. In what my friend have done about flashing --- we did not do this work for my car last week. The whole of my car bad smell before, now it's just like 1/4 of the smell being left.

I already cleaned my entire car outside and inside. I already kept my car under the heat of the sun 4.5 hours in day light for already 3 days with all the doors open.

But a little smell is still there --- although no more suffocating much as compared before.

I am trying to convince myself that this is due to not doing the “FLASHING WORK” as what my friend did as described above.

What do you think is the proper execution for this FLASHING WORK as far as my car is concerned?

I am not sure what the "Flashing Work" is. It is very difficult to get smells out of the interior if a car. The best way is to remove and completely wash the carpet and all cloth surfaces.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:55 AM   #28
EddieCabael

There are Circulatory System Functions in the CAR AC Conditioning:

The Closed one and the Open one:

The Closed one --- is where the AC Freon and oil are moving inside the Closed Circulatory System (CCS) that's within the AC Piping System that moves to and pro from AC Compressor to its piping revolving through the AC Radiator or Condenser. If the inside of the CCS is having a Junk Smell, this has nothing to do with the CAR AC bad smell problem if that system has no Leak and in my case I confirmed there's no leakage because one month ago the Freon is still intact up to now which appearing on the Freon Gauge as well as the cooling status of the car is excellent as of now.

In the Open Circulatory System (OCS) --- is where the air is flowing from the CAR AC Blower going through the Dashboard Panel with the Air Outlet after the air is passing by from the AC Evaporator (freezer) that gives the cold air for the entire car. One month ago I already cleaned the complete assembly of Air Box containing the Evaporator (freezer) and the Heater as well as the CAR AC Blower. All of that were already cleaned thoroughly including the Air Box itself.

The existence of slight balance of CAR Bad Smell might be due to slight bad smell contamination from unforeseen surroundings that will eventually vanish through the air after time as long as the CCS has no leak.

This morning 16-Jan-2014. I used my car for straight 3 hours and only in this driving session I smelled all fresh air and no more bad smell.

Hopefully the CAR BAD SMELL is no more.

http://eddiecabael.swaultimate.com
Old 04-02-2014, 03:25 AM   #29
alishagreen
alishagreen

Drives: 2013 Toyota yaris
Could be an IRCM issue. Might be your freon is in low and you can't add freon if compressor is not working. Hence, check out your compressor and evaporator properly. It would be worth running into your local air con specialist from ac repair west palm beach to have it checked out. Usually repair is reasonably priced, unless you need manufacturers original parts.
alishagreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:35 PM   #30
spookybathtub

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Scott, does the entire AC unit need to be removed to access the evaporator? That would mean draining the refrigerant.

I'd like to take a look at my evaporator, to see if it needs cleaning. I already know how to remove the upper and lower instrument panels, but I don't want to pay a bunch of money to have the refrigerant drained and refilled just for this.
spookybathtub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:08 PM   #31
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookybathtub View Post
Scott, does the entire AC unit need to be removed to access the evaporator? That would mean draining the refrigerant.

I'd like to take a look at my evaporator, to see if it needs cleaning. I already know how to remove the upper and lower instrument panels, but I don't want to pay a bunch of money to have the refrigerant drained and refilled just for this.
It kind of does. If you remove the dash top and the AC ducts for the center vents you can get a look down into the airbox, but you really just have a window to the evaporator without being able to get to all of it.

Tags
odor from ac blower