Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-01-2010, 02:04 AM   #1
marshall_8up

Drives: Yaris yr
how do I connect an amp to a standard head unit?

hey jus wonderin if i can connect an amp to a standard head unit? i want to run a sub and 2 6x9's off the amp, without modifying the original system too much. if so, then how? would there be aux out ports on the head unit for the amp? or can i run the amp in parallel with a speaker?
marshall_8up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:53 AM   #2
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I thought about doing the same thing but ended up just changing the head unit. The sound quality is just so so much better. Even with a low priced head unit you will see great results.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:25 AM   #3
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
To answer the OP's question, you'll need a line out converter:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i...onverters.html

You connect them to the speaker wires and then the amp. to the RCA jacks on the converter.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
GeneralDon7

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
To answer the OP's question, you'll need a line out converter:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i...onverters.html

You connect them to the speaker wires and then the amp. to the RCA jacks on the converter.
Exactly what I did for mine, my converter is attached to the undepanel on the passengers side.
GeneralDon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
teejayy

Drives: Toyota Yaris SR 5dr Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall_8up View Post
hey jus wonderin if i can connect an amp to a standard head unit? i want to run a sub and 2 6x9's off the amp, without modifying the original system too much. if so, then how? would there be aux out ports on the head unit for the amp? or can i run the amp in parallel with a speaker?
It is worth checking your amplifier for high-level imputs, it wont be hard to find them they are generally next to RCA imput. Many amplifiers have high-level inputs and do not require RCA signal wires to operate. This could save you time and money.
teejayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayy View Post
It is worth checking your amplifier for high-level imputs, it wont be hard to find them they are generally next to RCA imput. Many amplifiers have high-level inputs and do not require RCA signal wires to operate. This could save you time and money.

+1
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:45 AM   #7
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
i wanna do the same.... that unit, does it convert the sound or is it jsut an easy way to connect L-R speaker wires and convert them to aux? if so i can jsut splice them....
Old 01-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
LOC's are are cool concept... but systems using them pretty much blow. Start with a quality deck, then continue installing quality parts after it including amp & speakers.

If you use a crappy deck (stock)... and then buy better speakers & an amp... you'll still be getting crappy sound.

I personally run dual 8's off the stock deck using LOC's that are built into a small amp I have.... It tides me over until I can get some time, money, and a garage to work with for the two weeks needed for my install, but I wouldn't recommend it to anybody unless they had less than $200 to spend on their entire install.

Even with as little as $500 you could make a cheap yet modest system with a sub. Without a sub you could easily do it for $300, but don't expect any bass.

$100 for deck with pre-outs
$100 for a 50x4 watt amp
$100 for A pair of 6.5" components + 18awg speaker wire & rca cable.
$50 for fuse holder & 4awg welding cable (for power and grounds)
$100 for a cheap 10" plus materials to make a small sealed box.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
ryota
Dry Bones

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to ryota
Quote:
+2
Old 01-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
On the other hand an LOC is an appropriate way to keep the stock deck.

The last install I did was on my wife's truck. I absolutely know she doesn't like too much change. We used a Streetwires ReQ to a Powerbass ASA 700.5. We are pushing an Exile Audio component set and a single 8" woofer in a sealed enclosure.

As for sound...the noise floor is nice an low, there is no whining, no ground loops, nothing. The four channels are bridged into two with the mono channel pushing 4 Ohms. The sound is a heck of a lot more full and accurate than the stock system. That little 8" woofer is a blessing, giving kick drums some very real life.

As for "crappy" sound, I'd beg to differ in my case...Although the ReQ isn't a regular cheap a$$ LOC that you're probably talking about. It does a little more without breaking the bank.

http://www.reqsound.com/PASreview_reQ.pdf
Old 01-09-2010, 12:25 AM   #11
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
hi sqcomp,

the ReQ I believe is from MTX, not the streetwires brand ...

you're actually just gave me an idea how to use my OEM HU with my amps without getting being to flashy

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0v23Dho...s&viewAll=True

I have the eclipse navigation, unit but Im affraid to put it on ...theft reason
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:55 AM   #12
yaris2010RS

lmao....okay, wow, that helped me i think...... not gonna lie, it was chinese to me. jsut to make sure i somewhat get it.... LOC is line out converter.... and i dont mind the quality of sound now, all i want is boom....
here is my idea of how i planned to hook it up and what i planned to have

stock HU
to
Amp(with power storage thing)
to
12-in Sub(maybe 2)

what i understand between the HU and the Amp i need an LOC..... or do i... what does it do.

My main question (i think) is how to hook up the RCA cable and remote to the HU.

i have hooked up many systems before but we used aftermarket deck and all i had to do was hook it up, no planning before hand (i did do some makeshift installs when people were too cheap to get proper harnes and such.)
Old 01-09-2010, 06:27 AM   #13
teejayy

Drives: Toyota Yaris SR 5dr Hatchback
yaris2010RS, if you gave me your Amplifier's name I could answer this more accurately.

Essentially a Line Output Converter converts high-voltage speaker-level signals from your Head Unit down to an acceptable pre-amp level signal ideal for Amplifiers. You then connect the Line Output Converter to an appropriate Amplifier using RCA patch cables. If you purchase a Line Output Converter with a remote trigger, which is advisable, it will turn on your Amplifier when it detects an output on your factory speaker wires.

Of course if your Amplifier has built in Speaker-Level Imputs (can be called High-Level Imputs) you can use these instead of going down the Line Output Conveter route. Essentially the Amplifier has built-in circuitry which uses the Low Impedance, High-Level Output from factory speaker wire as an Imput. The Amplifier uses signal sensing so when the Head Unit is turned on and an audio signal is on the speaker wire, the Amplifier "sees" the audio signal and turns on, eliminating the need for a separate remote lead from the head unit.

If your Amplifier doesn't have Speaker-Level Imputs then a Line Output Converter is an ideal solution. There are many Line Output Converters on the market, Crutchfield sell a Scosche SLC4 which is an ideal solution if your are aiming to use a multi channel amplifier. I have also heard good things about David Navone products, and I know that some of his products do include Remote Triggers.

Once you've got the Amplifier working off the standard Head Unit, the rest of the install is a piece of cake!

If you feel that information is not accurate please do correct me, but I have answered this to the best of my ability.

Good Luck with the install!
teejayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:43 AM   #14
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Vten...

Streetwires and MTX are under the same conglomerate umbrella of Mitek. Essentially the same company for all intensive purposes.

The nice thing about the ReQ is that it adjusts for the stock source's attenuation of the bass frequencies whereas a lot of the cheaper LOCs don't.

Take a look:

http://www.reqsound.com/ Notice it says streetwires in the upper left hand corner :P

and

http://www.reqsound.com/manual/MKC00...tion_sheet.pdf

Also, the AS2000 (David Navone) products are solid elementary pieces. I have an NE-774V sitting in my closet for whatever project I deem needed.

Last edited by sqcomp; 01-09-2010 at 07:56 AM.
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #15
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
oh cool , I didn't know that

navone LOC is a good stuff , I also have the navone 774V LOC sitting around somewhere , but it doesn't have the remote out for an aftermarket amps , unlike the ReQ....
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #16
yaris2010RS

Quote:
yaris2010RS, if you gave me your Amplifier's name I could answer this more accurately.

Essentially a Line Output Converter converts high-voltage speaker-level signals from your Head Unit down to an acceptable pre-amp level signal ideal for Amplifiers. You then connect the Line Output Converter to an appropriate Amplifier using RCA patch cables. If you purchase a Line Output Converter with a remote trigger, which is advisable, it will turn on your Amplifier when it detects an output on your factory speaker wires.

Of course if your Amplifier has built in Speaker-Level Imputs (can be called High-Level Imputs) you can use these instead of going down the Line Output Conveter route. Essentially the Amplifier has built-in circuitry which uses the Low Impedance, High-Level Output from factory speaker wire as an Imput. The Amplifier uses signal sensing so when the Head Unit is turned on and an audio signal is on the speaker wire, the Amplifier "sees" the audio signal and turns on, eliminating the need for a separate remote lead from the head unit.

If your Amplifier doesn't have Speaker-Level Imputs then a Line Output Converter is an ideal solution. There are many Line Output Converters on the market, Crutchfield sell a Scosche SLC4 which is an ideal solution if your are aiming to use a multi channel amplifier. I have also heard good things about David Navone products, and I know that some of his products do include Remote Triggers.

Once you've got the Amplifier working off the standard Head Unit, the rest of the install is a piece of cake!

If you feel that information is not accurate please do correct me, but I have answered this to the best of my ability.

Good Luck with the install!
wow, thanks so much. i haven't gotten anything yet, i wanted to do a mock up to know exactly how to hook it up with stock HU. i wanna build my box and sink it into the trunk before i start with amps and wiring.

one otherthing, is it really that important to have the fuse within a foot of the battery or can i have it right by the amp?
Old 01-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #17
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
LOC means Level output converter... the voltage levels is the issue, deck outputs high voltage to the speakers... but pre-amps meant to go to an amplifier are low voltage lines... the LOC converts high voltage signal to a low voltage signal.

Even if you get a high quality LOC.... you're still limited to the quality of the deck... which I personally don't think is that great. Lots of issues with reliability, and I question its SQ performance as well.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #18
centrysis

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
i'd put the fuse close to the battery.not only does the fuse protect the amp,it also protects the run of wire going to the amp.or so i've been told
centrysis is offline   Reply With Quote