Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-28-2006, 07:33 PM   #1
hoahmaru

Drives: 2007 White Yaris RS B Pac.
TRD OR Eibach...i'm confused...

This is a question for those who have installed Toyota factory lowering springs....

Are the lowering springs offered by toyota from Eibach or TRD? I was talking to the salesguy today in the accessories department at toyota and he told me their the same. He said Eibach is the manufacturer and TRD is just the label name. I have read on some of the thread here that the lowering springs that people are getting at the toyota factory are Eibach springs and not TRD springs. For me I really like the look of the factory lowering springs that people are getting, I just wanted to make sure that I'am getting the right springs from the dealership. So for example, if I wanted those Eibach springs do I ask them for it or are the TRD springs the Eibach springs????

Sorry to make this kind of confusing...I just want to make sure that I'am getting the right product if I'am gonna pay $600 bucks for it.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:22 PM   #2
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
I don't own the springs, but maybe I can help you out.

Eibach is a major spring manufacturer, supplying springs for many OEM's - from truck manufacturers to Formula One teams. TRD is the brand name for Toyota's performance division, like Honda's Mugen and Nissan's Nismo.

It is very possible that TRD's springs are made by Eibach to TRD's specs - which are then branded as TRD springs. This situation is probably true for the TRD struts as well; I can only guess, but I'll bet Tokico or Showa manufacture TRD's struts to their specs and then TRD brands 'em.

If you go to an official Toyota Dealer and ask for TRD parts, you should be okay. To be really sure, you could always ask to see the box before they install 'em.

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:13 PM   #3
riceboy

Drives: icebox
There's nothing to indicate the spring manufacturer on the box, it's just a plain corrugated cardboard box. From my understanding they are Eibach's branded to be used for Toyota. No big deal, it's common practice for a lot of accessories to be manufactured by third parties and then rebranded as OEM or OEM performance parts. It's just a matter of buying from the dealer gives you the peace of mind that you have someone to go back to in case anything goes wrong. In my experience Toyota will stand behind the products and look after you, whereas some private shops forget that you even exist after you get the install done, let alone look after you should something go wrong with a part or install that you've paid for. In any case, I think I've said it in another thread but I highly recommend the Toyota lowering springs, they really help to make the car sit properly from both a esthetic and a performance point of view. At the same time it's nothing too aggressive and won't make you cringe anytime you go over a pothole or railway tracks or speed bumps, or etc.
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 03:25 PM   #4
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Drives: Uber-Evolved Pokemon
My dealer installed springs came with Eibach Pro-Kit documentation in that plain corrugated box...
echo_hrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 03:54 PM   #5
jah

Drives: Hatch
Here is the Toyota Yaris Lowering Springs only in the states for $155 US:
http://www.toyotapartsstore.com/prod...0bd21982a9a36c

I am looking for the springs and TRD shocks, looks like they aren't in North America yet :(
jah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:31 PM   #6
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by jah
I am looking for the springs and TRD shocks, looks like they aren't in North America yet :(
My dealer indicated that they won't be available "until Summer" - my sales guy will be giving me a call when they come in.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 10:42 PM   #7
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jah

Can I ask you you mean by "Toyota Yaris Lowering Springs only in the states for.. " ?

Do you mean this is only for the Yaris in US?

OT - Has anyone purchased from toyotapartstore.com ?
At US $155 for lowering springs, that's actually a good deal if you can find a private mechanic to install them.
bigsky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 07:19 AM   #8
jah

I do not know if the hatch sold in Canada is identical to the hatch sold in the US. Additonally I am unclear if the springs in the link are the same as the TRD springs. I did order the hatch spoiler from them, will let you know when it arrives. The part number is ptr04-52060, maybe somebody else is familar with Toyota part numbers and can tell if its a TRD part, and if it will fit your car.
Later
Jerry
Old 05-01-2006, 09:51 AM   #9
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah

Unfortunately these guys don't have a valid SSL certificate, so I won't be buying from them. Bummer, I was just about to buy the lowering springs.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:42 PM   #10
jah

Good catch, looks like they did not cough up the dough to get a cert from Verisign or Thwart. Hopefully its not a spoofed site, and they just harvasted my CC info
Old 05-02-2006, 12:13 AM   #11
C2AUTOSPL

Drives: 240sx, 00 Celica
TRD springs = Eibach springs
C2AUTOSPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:08 AM   #12
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2AUTOSPL
TRD springs = Eibach springs
Wrong.. TRD <> Eibach springs.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:20 AM   #13
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
I can confirm Echo's post, that the TRD lowering springs offered at Canadian Toyota Dealers come with Eibach Pro Kit documentation. This is in fact not unusual (that these TRD springs are made by Eibach), Nike for example does not actually manufacture anything.
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:42 PM   #14
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
rofl, most brand names you see don't make the product's you;d think of when you hear their name.

Singer subcontracts all their sowing machines out, they actually make computer chips now, lol.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:52 PM   #15
SmellyTofu
好多人&amp;

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko
I can confirm Echo's post, that the TRD lowering springs offered at Canadian Toyota Dealers come with Eibach Pro Kit documentation. This is in fact not unusual (that these TRD springs are made by Eibach), Nike for example does not actually manufacture anything.
Correct. However, you'll find it might be co-incidence to know that the TRD springs have the same spring rate as Eibach but each company test them to suit their satisfactory level.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:16 PM   #16
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
Makes sense, since each offers a warranty.
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:56 PM   #17
jah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idjiit
Unfortunately these guys don't have a valid SSL certificate, so I won't be buying from them. Bummer, I was just about to buy the lowering springs.
The red spoiler I ordered showed up today
Old 05-05-2006, 05:08 PM   #18
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah
The red spoiler I ordered showed up today
Glad to hear it. Unfortunately I've been the victim of fraud twice, so I'm understandly protective of my info.