Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
clutchless shifting

Anyone else shift their manual trannys without using the clutch?

I noticed the other day I was doing it, and as my day job is driving my 40,000 lb. boom truck with a truck type tranny that actually shifts easier if you DON'T use the clutch, it was just second nature. First gear is clutched of course, but after that it slips right in smooth and easy once you have the right feel for the rpm's, usually I use the clutch for 5 th, that seems to be a bit harder to sync just right.

I pretty much drive all my rigs this way, and on my "bought new" '90 Toyota pickup (worked real hard, in construction), I was still on the original clutch (and tranny...) at 240K. Big truck drivers will know exactly what I'm talking about.
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Regardless, and this has been discussed before, if you have the ability to use the clutch, do it. A truck can handle the roughness of clutchless shifting, a small car is more susceptible to the stress this could subject
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
BuildCode

Drives: Black 5-Spd Sedan S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
Regardless, and this has been discussed before, if you have the ability to use the clutch, do it. A truck can handle the roughness of clutchless shifting, a small car is more susceptible to the stress this could subject

This says it all. lol.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
wow.. i honestly thought i was the only one who did this.. i also never bothered looking it up either.. but i also do this from time to time.. to me the shifter just falls into place when i do it, no jerking no grinding, unless u do it wrong there will be grinding of course. but i practiced this alot on my crx and it just followed me.. *shrugs* it may be causing damage to my tranny, but hey, gives me a reason to get another one and put a LSD in it
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
@ Idahotom, Have you been taking driving tips from Ted? I kid.

Always been too scared to try this. But it kinda seems like an unnecessary skill to develop. Then again I don't see myself behind the wheel of a very large truck anytime soon. And using the clutch is part of the fun of a manual I always thought.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
Done properly, it won't stress the driveline or transmission, in fact, it may be easier on it then using the clutch! Of course, improper use of this technique, just like improper use of the clutch, could be hard on things! I am surprised anyone who's driven a large truck, where this technique is the norm and required to make smooth gear shifts, hasn't chimed in.

As to the difference between trucks and cars: any vehicle's driveline is designed around the gross weight of the rig, and over that, to allow for sloppy or rough shifting. I would no more abuse my Yaris then I would my Sterling, by using this method.

On the other hand, there is no real advantage to shifting this way (unlike in the big rigs, where you HAVE to shift this way, you think truckers are pushing in the clutch every time they shift?). Less wear on the clutch and throwout bearing, obviously, borne out perhaps by my 240K on the original clutch on my Toyota pickup (one of the old small ones, and then I didn't need to replace it, it was sold), would be about it. I just brought it up as I had been doing it without thinking, and it does it just fine, nice short throws on the shift lever helps. It's a compliment to the Yaris!

I find I use a lot of my Yaris driving techniques when in my boom truck. And, vice versa. One of my favorites: when parked at a curb, and getting ready to pull out into busy traffic, I check my mirror before starting (already warmed up), it saves sitting there for a few minutes idling while waiting for a break, and watching your days average on the ScanGauge go down! It's fun and can be educational, having two rigs that vary so much in size, and jumping back and forth between the two: I don't get crowded or tail gated much in the crane (or at least don't care or notice if I do), but the Yaris can't pick a ton up 70' away either!
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote