Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Just curious...

I heard from a little birdy that fixed pulley sc are coming for the yaris, not the blitz.

Is it possible to use a boost controller to control a supercharger?
"And that goes for any of you, never get put down from someone who gets jealous of you; build it and prove them wrong. There will always be haters and naysayers but those are also the ones who's cars are worth less than my seats."

xbgod - 9/23/2010
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
maxxman420
prop215.

Drives: Toyota Yaris LB
im really not sure, but i dont think you use boost controllers on superchargers. its the size of the pulley that controls the boost. im not sure, but i think thats how it works.
maxxman420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
you could do a blow off valve, just like a turbo. they're actually teh same thing (cintrifugal any way) so, the pulley supplies the boost amount, but if you're over the amount you want you can BOV it just like a turbo

but it's easier to dial in SC pressure with pullies because it will always spin and produce pressure at the same amount at the same rpm at all times...not like turbo that depends on exhaust which always changed depending on load and rpm...as well as temps and all sorts of things

any way, if you got too much boost BOV it.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
No. A waste gate controls boost, not a bov. I can run 8 psi and I can run 30 psi with the same bov and no changes to it.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleey0 View Post
I heard from a little birdy that fixed pulley sc are coming for the yaris, not the blitz.

Is it possible to use a boost controller to control a supercharger?
Yes you can control boost with a by pass valve. They are also called "pop off valves". All the new VW's have it. It works by bleeding boost @ a desired level. HKS has has this for years......
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:51 AM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^. That's the same function as a waste gate on a turbo system, right?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Yes a wastegate controls boost & a by pass valve can also be used also to control boost. There are actually some drag racers here that have turbocharged cars with no W/G & only use the by pass valve to control boost.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
xbgod
Banned

Drives: "Burning It Down GTX2860RS XB"
Yes thats right a waste gate, just like the one I put on the Blitz S/C with a custom pully.

I used a custom fit one from Magnuson.

Aras
xbgod is offline   Reply With Quote