Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
lejulie

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Can non-Toyota dealers/repair shops replace transmission fluid w/o "special equipment

I went to Christian Brothers Automotive today. Would they have the special tools or equipment to check on my 2007 Yaris' transmission fluid? They said I needed a transmission flush. So I called a Toyota dealer today......the guy on the phone said that Christian Brothers Automotive doesn't even have the tools to be able to get to the transmission fluid. It was specially sealed. He implied that you could only have your transmission fluid checked/replaced at a Toyota dealership.

Is that true??
lejulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Guys do it themselves in their driveways all the time...

DIY: CHANGE MANUAL TRANNY OIL

Looks like all you need is a 24mm socket. I've never done it myself, but it appears that it's no different than a regular oil change. So, no special tools should be required.

Sounds like the dealership is just trying to get your business is a less than honest way.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #3
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
^ truth
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
lejulie

Get this - the dealer guy said "Let me check with my supervisor..(few second later)..no, nondealerships should not have the tools. They were lying to you."

So frustrating!!! I need to learn more about cars to protect myself!! Any good book recommendations for the Yaris? I am planning to get general auto maintenance books but would like to know if there are any for the Yaris in particular. The owner's manual is kinda vague.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
manual tranny vs automatic

automatic transmissions require a pumping machine in order to replace
all the fluid, otherwise a lot of fluid remains in the valve body and
torque converter

an automatic transmission regular maintenance is: drain 3 quarts or so of the 12 total
and replace what drains out (I am unsure of the total amount in the Yaris). do little
changes like this when the manual states, and it keeps the tranny running well. My
Yaris has none of these mini-intervals recommended.

an automatic transmission full maintenance is: drain the 3 quarts, drop the pan, replace
filter, put it all back, then power flush the rest with a machine

a Yaris automatic transmission doesn't need any minor or major maintenance for 100,000
miles, so you gotta figure out: what is the exact problem and what are you paying for maintenance ? and why ?

Last edited by A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby; 09-27-2011 at 06:31 PM.
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by lejulie View Post
Get this - the dealer guy said "Let me check with my supervisor..(few second later)..no, nondealerships should not have the tools. They were lying to you."

So frustrating!!! I need to learn more about cars to protect myself!! Any good book recommendations for the Yaris? I am planning to get general auto maintenance books but would like to know if there are any for the Yaris in particular. The owner's manual is kinda vague.
go to techinfo.toyota.com pay your money and you have access to
ALL the exact documentation a dealer gets for servicing any part of any Toyota
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:50 AM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Check your owners manual and follow the guidelines VERY closely about when to change your automatic transmission fluid.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
lejulie

Thanks so much for all the good info!

I will go to the website mentioned above!!
Old 09-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #9
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
It should be undersood that a large part of any dealer's income is their service dept and they maximizie it anyway they can..... even by blatenly lying to customers knowing that most of their customers know little about cars.

One must always be on their guard when dealing with a dealer.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
"G"

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
Do you have an auto or 5 speed? You should never let anyone flush (not even the dealer) an auto trans. Just drain and fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejulie View Post
I went to Christian Brothers Automotive today. Would they have the special tools or equipment to check on my 2007 Yaris' transmission fluid? They said I needed a transmission flush. So I called a Toyota dealer today......the guy on the phone said that Christian Brothers Automotive doesn't even have the tools to be able to get to the transmission fluid. It was specially sealed. He implied that you could only have your transmission fluid checked/replaced at a Toyota dealership.

Is that true??
"G" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #11
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I would like to know how many miles and as asked manual or automatic. Also you didn't state what reason they gave you for the need. Flush to me is a generic term used to get rid of while replacing at the same time. (Flush the comode)....Manual trans are drained and refilled. Most dealerships have a system the flushes (automatics) although they charge an arm and leg for it.

Dingo described the process for autos quite well. It can be a DIY but you really have to understand what tubes go where and how fluid flows etc. Typical DIY doesn't get it all but addresses the cleaning of the pan, cleaning and or replacing the filter and the drainage and replacement of fluid from the pan removal process. You can see where this still leaves old fluid in the transmission but the majority is replaced with new stuff and most folks will call this done.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote