Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-22-2020, 01:34 AM   #1
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
"Thunk" sound after caliper and brake pad replacement

I'm posting this to make sure I'm not crazy or something. In June, I started getting poor gas mileage (32 mpg highway, when it should be around 38 mpg), shaking steering wheel when accelerating on highway, loud groaning noise from the right front wheel while holding down the brakes for more than a few seconds (like at a red light), a loud groan when releasing the brakes, as well as a ticking noise after a long drive. Long story short, the right front caliper was sticking due to rust. Basically, I was driving around with the pads constantly pressed against the rotor. Took the Yaris to a mechanic for the first time ever, and he replaced both front rotors, right side brake pads, right side brake hose, replaced the brake fluid, and did a general service and inspection of the other brakes. Car has only about 34,000 miles on the odometer, so the rusting was caused by time, not by wear-and-tear.

Anyway, I'm back to getting normal gas mileage, no ticking, steering wheel no longer shakes, and no groaning while stopped at a red light. Everything is working super. However, I can hear a mechanical "thunk" sound from the passenger side when I quickly release the brake pedal after holding it down for a while, such as after a light turns from red to green. I don't get a thunk when I very slowly taking my foot off the brake. It thunks when I suddenly release the brake pedal. This sound is not from the brake pedal itself, it's something mechanical. Are your guys' Yarises completely silent when releasing the brakes, such as after a light turns from red to green? Or does your car also make some sort of sound when you let go of the brakes? To tell the truth, I can't remember if my car always made a sound! Even though I've driven this car since new, I never paid attention. I want to check if it's normal to hear a slight thunk from somewhere on the passenger side after immediately taking your foot off the brake pedal. I can't figure out if the sound is coming from the new caliper, or if it's coming from under the hood. Don't know if I became hypersensitive to any sound the car makes, or if the mechanic didn't grease or screw on something properly. Want to know if I need to take the car back to the mechanic, or if everything's fine and I'm just a little jumpy. Thanks in advance for your replies!

Last edited by Hamster; 08-22-2020 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Spelling errors
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:14 PM   #2
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Take it apart and see if the pads are sitting loose in the bracket. Sometimes production tolerances on aftermarket parts are loose. I'm assuming the caliper came with a new bracket.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:33 PM   #3
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Yes could be loose pads rattling about, or could be something else. I would take it back to the mechanic who did the work and let him figure it out.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:34 PM   #4
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Okay, quick update, and I feel silly now (maybe) for posting this thread. As an experiment, I drove around my 2020 Corolla today, and paid very close attention to how the brakes sounded. I also noticed a "thunk" after rapidly releasing the brake pedal, just a little quieter versus the Yaris. That sound comes from somewhere behind the dashboard right above the pedal. I don't have advanced knowledge of car mechanics, so I don't know what mechanism in the brake system makes the thunk sound. But, I noticed that the sound is very, very similar to the sound that the old sticking brake caliper was making after I released the brake. Then I went and drove the Yaris around, and I noticed that the thunk sound came from around the same spot behind the dashboard as in the Corolla. Just the thunk was slightly louder versus the Corolla.

Seems my brain was mixing up a normal pedal release sound with the sound of the old malfunctioning caliper, because they sounded very similar. The fact that I could reproduce a similar sound in my Corolla makes me think I'm just hypersensitive, and it's all in my head. I'll continue to pay close attention to the sound of the brakes in the Yaris over the next week, to make absolutely sure what I'm hearing is from the pedal.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, calipers