Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-14-2023, 02:11 AM   #1
matt4x4

Drives: 2008 Yaris, 4dr sedan, 5 spd
My review - 2008 Yaris Base Sedan, manual, 220k (KM)

Just rocked 250 miles on a first aimless drive, with no real hills.
Later this month I will try the mountain passes along tc hwy 1 and see how the power is to see how the Yaris performs and look at temps.

Seats were fine as I am 6'3" 245lbs (on scale yesterday)
Lots of head room, I do have a big head, 8-3/4 almost 9 baseball cap size.
Has lots of shoulder room, not sure about the knee room, havent driven in a a few years. Just need more seat time and figure out the seat position.

My Yaris has pw, pm, pl. The only thing I do not like about it is it does not have cruise control, and the speedometer is in the center which should have bigger numbers and clearer notches for quicker, clear glances at speed. I am going to get a digital speedometer screen on the dash for quicker glances, will have big numbers to easily view, and look into aftermarket cruise control.

The other thing I do not like about it is the rear seats do not fold flat as to sleep flat in the car, I'd have to double check but I did put the seats down to look at it when I bought it and saw a big bump between the trunk and the fold down seats, figured I could work around it, build up the base to clear the bump so that its all flat

The 1.5L is gutless on hills but fuel sipping if the speeds just right on the highway.

My next Toyota will be a used automatic Venza. New I'd go with Toyota Corolla or Prius.

I know I will get tired of the manual in my Yaris but I had to get something rolling, quickly.

I like the styling of the 2008, I also like the color a dark grey, blends in nicely with all the other cagers on the road.

Got it washed up with a quick $1.00 car wash, in and out. $15 or $20 for a car wash is crazy.
matt4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 12:24 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Search for the way to add a stock for cruise control that’s a stalk For cruise control in this forum. You can also make your own homemade cruise control with four momentary switches and four resistors. That’s what I did.
Old 04-15-2023, 02:39 PM   #3
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
cruise control for that 08 "should" be a direct bolt on, wifes 07 canadian model i had to add a wire to the ecu and that was it..aftermarket cruise is a serious waste of money...hit up a wrecker or even ebay and you can source OE cruise for less than a couple hours and 50$ or less...while your at it do yourself a favor..grab a wiper stack from a prius or other similar toyota and give yourself direct plug n play intermitent wipers...youll wonder how you lived without them

as far as the gutless goes..a 1.8 TB swap wakes them up big time and removes the "dead spot" on take off without the need of anything else..a cold air pipe does too but youll sacrafaice some mpg with the pipe

sadly ive not spent any time around the sedans to say much about the seat fold issue..and did a steel frame aluminum sheet seat delete in the 5dr..can swap it out for the oe seat in about 3 mins

cagers....sounds like your a fellow moto head
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 05:29 PM   #4
Pasable

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
I think your Yaris would benefit greatly from a fuel filter change. My 07 felt gutless too when I first got it a few months ago at 230k KM. Changing the filter made a big difference. Be warned though, it's not the easiest thing to do and you need a special tool to get a plastic tube connected. There is a thread I posted in about this.
Pasable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 03:46 AM   #5
theyearoftheroad
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
Just rocked 250 miles on a first aimless drive, with no real hills.
Later this month I will try the mountain passes along tc hwy 1 and see how the power is to see how the Yaris performs and look at temps.

Seats were fine https://epicvin.com/vin-decoder/toyota as I am 6'3" 245lbs (on scale yesterday)
Lots of head room, I do have a big head, 8-3/4 almost 9 baseball cap size.
Has lots of shoulder room, not sure about the knee room, havent driven in a a few years. Just need more seat time and figure out the seat position.

My Yaris has pw, pm, pl. The only thing I do not like about it is it does not have cruise control, and the speedometer is in the center which should have bigger numbers and clearer notches for quicker, clear glances at speed. I am going to get a digital speedometer screen on the dash for quicker glances, will have big numbers to easily view, and look into aftermarket cruise control.

The other thing I do not like about it is the rear seats do not fold flat as to sleep flat in the car, I'd have to double check but I did put the seats down to look at it when I bought it and saw a big bump between the trunk and the fold down seats, figured I could work around it, build up the base to clear the bump so that its all flat

The 1.5L is gutless on hills but fuel sipping if the speeds just right on the highway.

My next Toyota will be a used automatic Venza. New I'd go with Toyota Corolla or Prius.

I know I will get tired of the manual in my Yaris but I had to get something rolling, quickly.

I like the styling of the 2008, I also like the color a dark grey, blends in nicely with all the other cagers on the road.

Got it washed up with a quick $1.00 car wash, in and out. $15 or $20 for a car wash is crazy.
Maybe it's better to change the fuel filter?
theyearoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote