Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-04-2021, 07:05 PM   #1
sv650steve

Drives: accord (for now)
Bad AC

My A/C blows hot. The shop quoted my $1900 for a new high pressure switch, metering device, evap coil, filter dryer, and compressor. It just started happening. I read pressure on the lowside and it was around 100 psig. I did not have the fitting to do the high side (i'll be buying that tomorow). There are no bubbles in the sightglass and it looks like the refridgerant is not moving.

Could I just buy the compressor, high pressure switch, and vaccume pump and hope for the best? Or should I replace the whole system like they suggested? A rebuilt compressor is only $400 and comes with a 2 year warranty.
sv650steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:16 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
When my a/c died, the dealership diagnosed "seized" compressor, to which I said BS. My pressure switch was the point of failure which I replaced with a unit off eBay for around $20.
Old 05-09-2022, 05:02 PM   #3
rodrigogar

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan S
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
When my a/c died, the dealership diagnosed "seized" compressor, to which I said BS. My pressure switch was the point of failure which I replaced with a unit off eBay for around $20.
Hi WeeYari.

I found this post as I am troubleshooting my AC. I checked continuity for the pressure switch sensor (the one next to the sight glass and high side port) and there is none.

I am tempted to just replace it, however, wanted to ask you if when you replaced it there was a valve that stopped the freon from escaping, or the system had to be emptied in order to replace the sensor?

Thank you in advance for your time.
Rod
rodrigogar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 12:34 PM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
What do you mean you don’t have a high pressure fitting? It’s got to be there someplace! Keep looking.

I am leery of the shop saying so many things are wrong
Old 07-05-2021, 03:55 PM   #5
WeeYari

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
What do you mean you don’t have a high pressure fitting? It’s got to be there someplace! Keep looking.

I am leery of the shop saying so many things are wrong
I'm sure he is referring to the high pressure fitting for his test gauges, not the lack of the actual high pressure Schrader valve on the AC lines.
The shop wouldn't necessarily be saying that all those components have failed. I know for a fact that if a compressor is to be replaced, the manufacturer stipulates that some other components be replaced (ie the dryer) or the compressor warranty is void. Other parts in that list not necessary for warranty are prob just parts in an AC replacement bundle.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:00 PM   #6
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
I'd go to another shop.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 03:35 PM   #7
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
if it really is a seized compressor, then replacing the whole ac system is the best choice, most of the time those ac flushes never work, have another look at it and make it is seized compressor, and not the clutch not engaging, cause ifyou do have a seized compressor, you already metal filings all throughout the system and youneed to replace everything
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:19 PM   #8
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by remcafee View Post
if it really is a seized compressor, then replacing the whole ac system is the best choice, most of the time those ac flushes never work, have another look at it and make it is seized compressor, and not the clutch not engaging, cause ifyou do have a seized compressor, you already metal filings all throughout the system and youneed to replace everything
Looks like I was wrong!
Old 05-12-2022, 05:00 PM   #9
WeeYari

I've no idea if it is valved. I had an independent shop replace mine. They were not able to find any info on there being a valve in place so they went ahead and discharged the system and recharge with my reclaimed coolant.
Post here if you learn of definite existence or absence of a valve.
Old 05-14-2022, 01:15 AM   #10
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
as ive just gathered EVERYTHING to put a system on a car without i can tell you said valve does not exist

"if" you genuinly have a seized compressor you "can" reclaim all the parts it just has to all be done with the parts OFF the car as you cant just flush it on car..it wont work especialy with the way the condensor is mounted

however with everything pulled everything can be flushed very easily at which point you can replace the pump and be done with it.
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote