Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-08-2020, 10:34 AM   #1
mentalmurph

Drives: 2012 Yaris
Rear suspension noise, loose metal cylinder thing

I'm trying to investigate a noise coming from my rear n/s suspension when I'm going over rough roads. Noticed this strange metal cylinder loose next to the lower shock mount, so thats obviously the cause of the problem. On the other side there is one attached but can't see how. I'm just not sure if I can just remove it, or do I need it? And if I do, does anyone know what its called so I could order one? I'm drawing a bit of a blank with it.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4071.jpg (172.9 KB, 45 views)
mentalmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:47 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
You need new shocks. That sleave protects the shaft from debris and is permanently affixed to the top of the shock. No fixing or replacing it.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:56 PM   #3
mentalmurph

Thanks for replying but, its not the sleeve at the top of the shock, thats all its all there and accounted for. I managed to slip the metal cylinder out and it looks like it was glued with a small rubber pad just in front of the shock lower mount, I've attached a picture if it.

Took it a short drive and it handles as normal and the noise is gone. All I can think its for is some sort of weight at the bottom of the shock but not sure what that would achieve!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4074.jpg (114.1 KB, 46 views)
Old 08-08-2020, 06:33 PM   #4
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Do you have rear disc brakes?

I think this may be part of the rear axle beam dynamic damper. Is there one on the other side? I came across these when I was installing a rear sway bar on my car and couldn't figure out what they were. Another member here explained it to me. They are supposed to help reduce noise and vibration coming from the rear suspension. They are only installed on models with rear disc brakes, the SE here in the States. They can be removed without adverse effects, perhaps a slight vibration is all.

They look like this:

https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...37&postcount=8
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:03 AM   #5
mentalmurph

No, its got drums on the rear but the tabs above and below the metal cylinder are the same, there isn't a rear sway bar installed and it looks like these bolt in where I would expect that to go so I think that looks exactly like thats what they are.

I'll leave it off at the moment and if I notice anything funny with vibration/damping I'll order one up and replace it.

Thanks for helping solve the puzzle!