Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-01-2023, 11:04 PM   #1
matt4x4

Drives: 2008 Yaris, 4dr sedan, 5 spd
3 keys - one key w/fob as handle 3 buttons

Whats the deal with the 3 keys.

1) I have one key that broke the key part of the fob handle w/3 buttons, alarm, lock, unlock.

2) I have a normal key with a big plastic handle that unlocks the drivers door but does not open the passenger door.

3) I have a another key, that looks like the previous key, but only opens the passenger door. The salesman said its the valet key.

I'd like to have the fob buttons working with the key attached.

I have just been using key #2 listed above to open the door, and start the car. Then I just use the power locks to open the other doors if I have a passenger.

Clueless me, went to key cutting place, but he said he cant do it. Dealer was expensive. Looked for key blanks online, may have to go that way, or just keep with key #2.
matt4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 02:21 PM   #2
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
a valet key is no diffferent from a normal key with the exception of possible transponder codess, and should work in all locks

what you have is a missmatched set due to door/lock changes

without knowing year and where it was sold its hard to give more advice, if its an "early" yaris then it wont have a transponder and any idiot can cut a key for it, if its a newer unit then you need the expensive transponder keys and they will have to be programed

now about programing.."if" the key you have is the "master" key for the car or has been programed as the master, you can program spares yourself by way of the master key and some ignition combination on off etc

as far as more "fob" type and programing them i belive the master key allows this too..
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 03:11 PM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
His details and posting history indicate a used 2008 sedan, Alberta purchased. Should not be a transponder key. My guess, vehicle had been damaged, passenger side, resulting in that door being replaced with a salvage door. Or, that lock barrel may have seized and was replaced. Either case, the second key which is specific to that lock.
Old 05-02-2023, 04:27 PM   #4
thetut

Drives: 2007 4dr sedan
All cars sold in Canada after September 2007 are required to have anti-theft engine immobilizers hence the transponder keys. This also includes the valet key which may not unlock the glove box and/or the trunk.
thetut is offline   Reply With Quote