Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-15-2015, 12:14 PM   #19
Teleview
I've made a post!

Drives: 2002 Toyota Yaris
2002 Yaris belt squeal

I used a Goodyear Gatorback belt to stop belt squeal.

I have been using Gatorback belts for many years.

The Gatorback belt will most likely not be available at local auto parts stores.

Several sellers sell Gatorback belts on the internet.

The Gatorback belt will (run in) (work in) become more flexible as time goes by.

Retighten the belt at a later date as required.

-----

More research shows that Goodyear belts is now Continental.

www.thequietbelt.com

Continental now has a New Serpentine Belt that is called the Stretch Belt has Built In Belt Tensioner Technology.

The Continental belt web site says Do Not use the Stretch Belt on vehicles that have spring loaded belt tensioner.

The New Stretch Belt is designed for vehicles that have no automatic belt tensioner.

Last edited by Teleview; 09-15-2015 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Clarify information
Teleview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:03 PM   #20
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
That's interesting but I don't see one for the Yaris listed.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:21 PM   #21
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
I also have a gatorback belt. I have retightened it several times and it continues to squeal. I will probably do this mod. I do love the belt though. I bought one for my 2000 Tundra and it is awesome.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:44 PM   #22
DallasYar

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
i have a 2007 Yaris sedan and had the belt replaced last week. The squealing became worse! Even squels as idle or low rpms.

But why do some Yaris squeal and some don't?
DallasYar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #23
DallasYar

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
also, i presume you shaved off this yellow part, but why? Wouldn't the bolt fit in regardless?

DallasYar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:20 PM   #24
AdamdangA

Drives: 2010 Yaris - Blazing Blue
It would create a gap. I just did this yesterday and this needs to be removed in order to maintain alignment. It's super easy to remove with a hack saw.
AdamdangA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 03:35 PM   #25
YarisLurker

Drives: Yaris
Did it and it works great! Heard someone say that the alternator causes it because when you turn on the key and dont delay (immediately start it) that the ECU tells the alternator to produce max amps. I had been doing that and it worked but since I bought the parts and installed it I no longer have to delay the start. Thanks for the write up!
YarisLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 11:37 PM   #26
drunix

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3D LB
This seems like such a nice hack that I am giving this a try, current part numbers that I just ordered are

163810T020 1 $ 9.78 BAR, FAN BELT ADJUSTING
163850T020 1 $ 2.54 Alternator Bracket

While I was ordering parts from Toyota I ordered new upper and lower radiator hoses. My very first car (1968 Fiat 850) taught me to replace hoses BEFORE they break and it's hard for me to accept that modern car parts last as long as they do!! Maybe the Fiat hoses had never been replaced but the ones in the Yaris seem as good now as the day we took the car home. I think replacing them now means I will never have to do it again.

Today I took the serpentine belt out and tried to pull the crankshaft pulley to put the stock one back in (I've had the alloy MicroImage pulley in there for 10 years or so) to try to silence the belt. Could not get the bolt loose on the pulley so I gave up and treated the belt with conditioner spray and put it back in. It's quiet -- for now.

I watched 5 videos on how to remove the crank pulley bolt. But I actually like the MI pulley and I'd rather have the belt tensioner from the 1.8 engine added. (Toyota says it fits 44 cars or something like that... all the XD, Corolla, Matrix models)

The squeaky belt is such a common problem with the Yaris. That and the wheel covers falling off. :-) Ours are zip tied.
drunix is offline   Reply With Quote