Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-19-2019, 10:11 PM   #1
Lays

Drives: 2015 yaris L
ISO autox brake pads

Hi everyone, I have a 2015 Yaris L with Corolla calipers and SE rotors, I was wondering what your go-to recommendation for pads would be for Autocross?

I love carving up back roads, and use my car for autocross every chance I get.

I was looking at EBC yellows and some Carbotech stuff, is that what I should be looking at?
Lays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:03 AM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I've always just run whatever was on the car for street use. I'm also not terribly competitive so I haven't refined my setup very well. That said, I did a track day weekend in my 1.8 swapped HB this weekend and put Hawk HPSs on my Corolla/SE front brakes. The difference between the generic street pads and the performance pads was incredible! There's lots of opinions on what brand/compound is best for any given application, so it may come down to trial and error on your end.

The bigger issue is that the stock 1.5 motor doesn't really have enough power to do point-and-shoot driving--you should be focused on momentum. Braking hard will (generally) give you slower times than carrying speed through corners. Getting the stickiest tires for your class will also help in that regard but costs more.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:56 AM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
The bigger issue is that the stock 1.5 motor doesn't really have enough power to do point-and-shoot driving--you should be focused on momentum. Braking hard will (generally) give you slower times than carrying speed through corners. Getting the stickiest tires for your class will also help in that regard but costs more.
I agree with the yaris being a momentum car (although it probably nkt as important in short autox courses) but I disagree that braking hard will give you slower lap times (at least on a track) the fastest way around a course typically is with less time spent braking and more time at higher speeds. Braking very late and only scrubbing off the speed you need would be the fastest in most cases.

OEM pads and even performance pads cannot take the heat nor have the friction coefficient to scrub off enough speed in such a short amount of time on sticky tires. Braking from further away than you need to and not braking to threshold, is slower and reduces the time the pads have to cool off.

That said, I cannot comment on autox courses as I have no experience with that, only track driving. I would recommend you do what Cranky said and essentially go to the next least expensive "performance" pad. Something like a carbotech AX6. If you glaze those over and experience pedal fade, then go up to the xp8's an so on.

I have first hand experience with how different people can use all sorts of different compounds due to varying factors. What works with others in a yaris may not even come close to what works for you. The only way to know if to give them a try for yourself
Old 06-21-2019, 10:35 PM   #4
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lays View Post
Hi everyone, I have a 2015 Yaris L with Corolla calipers and SE rotors, I was wondering what your go-to recommendation for pads would be for Autocross?

I was looking at EBC yellows and some Carbotech stuff, is that what I should be looking at?
If you are running street tires the OE pads will be fine for autocross, especially with Corolla calipers - it was designed stop more car than a Yaris.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:40 PM   #5
Lays

Drives: 2015 yaris L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
If you are running street tires the OE pads will be fine for autocross, especially with Corolla calipers - it was designed stop more car than a Yaris.
I'll be switching to 200 TW soon, probably re-71r. Still OK?
Lays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:15 PM   #6
NvrDwn

Drives: 08 yaris sedan 5spd
I've done multiple back to back 80+ to 25 stops in my stock size rotors/calipers with hawk hps 5.0 pads and experienced no fade. I think they are perfect for autox
NvrDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 05:57 PM   #7
sonshitsu
I've made a post!

Drives: toyota corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lays View Post

I need crypto platform.
sonshitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 02:35 AM   #8
Steprike
I've made a post!

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to Steprike Send a message via Yahoo to Steprike
Considering your switch to 200 TW tires like the RE-71R for autocross, have you thought about upgrading to performance pads such as Hawk HPS 5.0 or Carbotech AX6 to ensure optimal braking performance? Additionally, have you explored any crypto platforms that meet your specific requirements?

Lays, what's your plan regarding the brake pads for autocross, and have you found a suitable crypto platform for your needs?
Steprike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 11:29 AM   #9
KrooBunda
I've made a post!

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to KrooBunda Send a message via Yahoo to KrooBunda
Lays, what's your plan regarding the brake pads for autocross, and have you found a suitable crypto platform for your needs?