Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

Drives: 09YarisSedan, 94Truck22re
Thoughts after one week with my Yaris

Absolutely beyond ecstatic.

Specs:
2009 Sedan Black/Black 5speed 17,920 miles
Convenience Package and 15in Steelies

This is car number ten for me (lots of beaters) and the first car I've financed. My 94 Toyota pick/up is near 270,000 and was beginning to hate me for using it daily (i've put 28k on her since August). I had waited and test drove several but would end up with a price or interest rate conflict with the Toyota dealers (Mike, the Lowe Toyota's sales manager in Warner Robins, GA told me on the sales floor that "you are just upset you can't afford a 15k$ car," after I walked out on his offering 349/month for 60months with 1k$ down on a "new" 09 with 200miles and had sat there since 08. What a crook). So considering the market (tsunami, fuel costs) I felt lucky that I found mine and am paying below kbb, nada and edmunds value, with a very reasonable payment and 2.9%.

I've driven it just over 500miles in the first week. I made no attempt at fuel economy, frequently taking the car over 4000rpm from stop and cruising above 3000rpm on highway and was very impressed with 37.99mpg on 9.666 gallons. After the initial feelings of owning a new car wears off, I'll make a serious attempt at fuel economy, though will have to watch my lead foot as I have no intention of installing cruise control.

The thing drives like a dream, downshifting on highway to pass fast lane hoggers will destroy most other drivers (hp/weight ratio owns), sounds very healthy for such a tiny motor. I can reach all window cranks without any issue, I'm 6'2 and am lanky but still very comfortable (especially coming from a single cab p/u). I'm glad it has the 09 seats with bolsters. The Goodyear tires leave a lot to be desired.

I plan on installing fogs from microimage, powerlocks/keyless from a1, trd rear sway (gusts of wind suck), and tinting the windows.

I know I've said a lot but am still just really excited and don't expect anyone to read my entire rant, so I'll leave ya'll with some dealer pics.
Attached Images

NZ-FE Vios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
BuildCode

Drives: Black 5-Spd Sedan S
Congrats!! You make me reminisce about how much fun my sedan was when I first got it, I STILL love it though but the 'new' has worn off! ;)

Tint looks fantastic on the black sedans, it should be one of your first mods!

Also, what that sales mgr said has got to be the rudest thing I've ever heard, hopefully that dealer didn't get your business.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

That dealer most definitely did not get my business! In fact I filed a formal complaint with Toyota of America, e-mailed the owner of the dealership, and contacted their regional distributor because I was so shocked that was how they treated a potential customer (I was ready to buy but am glad I waited for Black, Lowe still hasn't sold their "new 09").

Actually, I traveled about 700miles for the car, although luckily I have very knowledgeable and trustworthy family within close vicinity of the dealership I purchased from, so they were able to test drive and make sure that it was as good as it looked from the net.

I'm waiting until I after I travel home to have the tint done and have already chosen a reputable tint shop and they include a life-time warranty on all tint jobs they perform.

Thanks for the kind words!
Old 05-15-2011, 11:18 PM   #4
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Welcome to YW!
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:24 AM   #5
LEXX
0-60 IN UNDER FIVE

Drives: 2008 Blk on Blk Yaris Sedan
Cool

sexy

u can check out my 2008 to see what the black looks like with the tint... i get a crazy amount of stares in it... i only tinted the back windows... over here they'll pull you over for too much tint so i didnt get crazy with it

i have front and side shots but have to upload them
Attached Images

LEXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

Tint looks great on a black car. Georgia law limits tint to +/-3degrees from 32% gradient on all windows except front windshield. So that's what I'll do. Too bad I'm not a religious group, Leo, or have a skin condition or I could go just a hair darker on the rear windows.

Lexx, what size/type are your wheels and what is your tint %?
Old 05-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
LEXX
0-60 IN UNDER FIVE

the wheels are 15's like yours... they came with the car when i bought it off of a private seller so i don't know the name of them

the tinit is 35% but dont forget the window is already factory tinted so there's already about 10% tint on them... if you wanna stay legal i'd get the 20%.. i was stupid and got the windows tinted 35% before getting the car state inspected (forgot all about it) ... the shop wouldnt even do an inspection with the tint on it so i ended up having to get them re tinted... when i went to get the tint checked at the DMV i was about 10% over because of the tint already on it
Old 05-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

Nice, thanks. I'll talk with the shop about it when it goes in. Luckily I don't have to have the car inspected where I live in Georgia, so its just being pulled over that I'm worried about
Old 05-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
LEXX
0-60 IN UNDER FIVE

o yea?? where i live they're a pain in the ass when it comes to vehicle checks.. .yr lucky

i took these pics after driving to a friends house out of state so its kinda dirty but heres some front shots
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2011, 03:50 PM   #10
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Nice!
Make you first purchase a short throw shift kit.
The sloppy throws at OEM spec. were my biggest driveablity issue coming to Yaris initially (once I adjusted to the 50% hp drop from that of it's predecessor).

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #11
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
Nice!
Make you first purchase a short throw shift kit.
The sloppy throws at OEM spec. were my biggest driveablity issue coming to Yaris initially (once I adjusted to the 50% hp drop from that of it's predecessor).
Either that or the rear sway bar.
Take our word for it, the sway bar will transform the handling of the Yaris and if you do no other mod, get the sway bar.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #12
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ-FE Vios View Post
Lexx, what size/type are your wheels and what is your tint %?
The wheels are Scion optional OEM alloys. 15 X 6, 42mm (I believe) offset. I have a set on my HB as well. Watch ebay; dealers blow them out for $200/set or $60ea. every now and then. I bought mine from a local Toyota dealer for $200/set.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #13
Bernie P.

Drives: old truck
Some cars just look soooooo good in black.Real nice!
Bernie P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 02:42 PM   #14
Drivesstandard

Drives: Yaris
Thought I'd bring one of my first posts back from the dead (I couldn't get into my old account). It's been over 10years since first purchased, still have the car. Planned never to get get of it, almost traded it in for a WRX STi (something something head gaskets).

Still love the little car. Nothing other than regular maintenance and one waterpump that blew under warranty.

Sad that microimage is gone, I definitely would've spent some more money on some cool stuff (push button start comes to mind).

Added a pic of my Spyder (white one)

2009 Sedan
130k miles
5spd
TRD rear sway bar
TRD drop in filter
ND Miata wheels
MicroImage Eyelids
Painted rear trunk strip
S type headlights and taillights
Infinity speakers
50$ ebay touch screen
Tinted windows
TRD exhaust (installed last night, 275$ new from Toyota)
Attached Images

Drivesstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:45 AM   #15
mannycheckers

Drives: 2009 Yaris 2dr Liftback
Such a clean car after all these years! Tasteful mods. All I would do besides everything that you've done is lower it a little bit with the TRD shocks and springs.
mannycheckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:57 PM   #16
zimmer

Drives: 2011 Yaris Sedan
Nice ride! Enjoy the forums
zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote