Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-22-2022, 11:57 AM   #1
yaris2014toyota

Drives: Yaris 2014 2-Door LE
securing a Garmin or TomTom type satnav GPS system to the dashboard or windshield

How do you secure your Garmin or TomTom type satnav GPS system to your dashboard or windscreen?

In my case, it sticks via vacuum suction to the windshield for a short while, but falls down when the temperature changes. Not enough vacuum suction.

Also: I'd appreciate ideas on "where" to place it. I find that if I place it on the dash directly behind the steering wheel, I get the best visibility during the day, but the light (and its associated reflection on the windscreen) is distracting when it's dark outside.
yaris2014toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 01:24 PM   #2
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
so i found a different route, and that was to get the metal tab for a rearview mirror as well as a rear view mirror , drill 2 holes in the metal tab and you can bolt that down to the dash cluster or just glue it lowwer on the windshield, then you can pop the rearview apart and you have this nice tight adjustable ram mount, you can basicly mount anything to
bonus is its got a built in quick release so you dont have to leave it in the car
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 03:13 AM   #3
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
I tried every suction cup, vent clip, friction mount, etc. There were problems with all. I finally installed a ProClip. Expensive but worth it. No more problems.

https://www.proclipusa.com/collectio...hatchback-2014

I have the center mount option. Installed a universal ball mount to that and I can switch between my Garmin or my phone holder and both are held securely right where I want them.
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin, gps satnav, secure, tomtom