Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-11-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
baseballfan416

Drives: 2017 L 3-door
Anyone ever have issues installing as brake lines?

Brake pedal is super mushy, decided to get a stainless steel brake line kit for the front lines... Only problem is it seems the connection from the hard line (10mm) to the hoses are cross threaded? You have to twist from the hose (17mm, that only has two sides and is rounded to fit a hanger) to avoid bending the hard line, but it seems I'm just rounding the 10mm screw on the hard line. Soaked the connection in pb blaster/creeper oil but nothing seems to help it budge.

Car has just over 143k miles.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking at this point I almost need to replace hard line but money is tight and I'd have to pay someone to do that.
baseballfan416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:12 PM   #2
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballfan416 View Post
Brake pedal is super mushy, decided to get a stainless steel brake line kit for the front lines... Only problem is it seems the connection from the hard line (10mm) to the hoses are cross threaded? You have to twist from the hose (17mm, that only has two sides and is rounded to fit a hanger) to avoid bending the hard line, but it seems I'm just rounding the 10mm screw on the hard line. Soaked the connection in pb blaster/creeper oil but nothing seems to help it budge.

Car has just over 143k miles.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking at this point I almost need to replace hard line but money is tight and I'd have to pay someone to do that.
heat as in torch , also mushy pedal is more then like from rear drums out of adj plus possibly front brakes need service , clean make sure pins are free and pads move in fitting bracket.
also you should use a proper 10 mm brake line wrench so u dont round anything off.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:20 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I recently found out the hard way that aftermarket stainless lines are crap. I had one burst on me and fortunately did not hit any one else in the process. The most common cause of super mushy brakes on the Yaris has nothing to do with the lines or the fronts, but rather is the rears getting worn or being out of adjustment. Tighten up the rears (with the little notched wheels accessible through the rubber plug on the inside) and you will feel a world of difference.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:12 PM   #4
baseballfan416

I clicked 4 notches on each side of the drums... Feels a little better... Was afraid I'd over click and not be able to shove the drums back on. I appreciate the insight, kinda wish I would've known before I bought $50 ss lines.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:35 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
I clicked 4 notches on each side of the drums... Feels a little better... Was afraid I'd over click and not be able to shove the drums back on. I appreciate the insight, kinda wish I would've known before I bought $50 ss lines.
Tighten after drums are on. They should be tighten so that the wheel no longer spins easily. After a short drive they will settle in and the wheel will no longer have resistance. If you tighten them before installing the drums they will be way too soft.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:46 PM   #6
baseballfan416

I'm not following yah... The star clicker is under the drum itself between the two shoes... How does one click the thing tighter with the drum on?
Old 06-11-2016, 09:49 PM   #7
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
I'm not following yah... The star clicker is under the drum itself between the two shoes... How does one click the thing tighter with the drum on?
From the back Ull see an opening covered by a rubber cover in the back plate.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote