Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-14-2022, 09:56 AM   #1
evil nick

Drives: 2016 yaris l
Hello All - First post - alternator questions

So we have a 2016 yaris l hatchback

didnt want to start the other day but I figured maybe we just left the door cracked and the light drained the battery. It was turning over but just wouldnt start. Then I thought I flooded it a bit and just waited. Eventually it did start but I brought it to the zone to test the battery, which tested fine but they said the charging failed so more than likely the alternator. I figured my old carollas alt died around the same time, 110K.

I am flabergasted at
1) how expensive the alt was for this car, 400$ +
2) how difficult it is to get. no store has them and they all have to be ordered

I hit rock and found a rebuilt for 100$ and going by the pic and engine code, 1NZFE, it should work so fingers crossed.

My question is, is the 2016 an off year? It does seem when I go to find accessories or parts for the car most go from 2005-2015 then 2017 on. It seems almost everywhere leaves the 2016 out and its making it a bit difficult to get things.

Anyway that was one question my next is, going by the year is there a good place to find parts for this car? Im trying to find a rebuild kit to rebuild the old one to have as a spare instead of getting the small core charge back but its near impossible. Im once again stuck seeing all the kits stop at 2015.

Thanks
evil nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 10:59 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Your difficulty getting parts might be due to Covid related problems. You might ask the Parts guy at the counter about it.

At some point the “Yaris” is made by Mazda. I’m not sure what year That was but it was around 2016 I think later. Do you know who made your “Yaris”?
Old 11-14-2022, 11:00 AM   #3
bronsin

PS other things besides bad alternators and bad batteries can cause the problems you were having. You might have your old alternator tested. It might be good!
Old 11-14-2022, 11:46 AM   #4
evil nick

I dont know who actually made it but it says manufactured in France if that helps.
I was going to try and search around and see if mice chewed through any wires or anything else after if this doesnt work
Old 11-14-2022, 12:03 PM   #5
evil nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Your difficulty getting parts might be due to Covid related problems. You might ask the Parts guy at the counter about it.

At some point the “Yaris” is made by Mazda. I’m not sure what year That was but it was around 2016 I think later. Do you know who made your “Yaris”?
actually one of the guys did say somethign about the year. Ive been looking all around for the part. Didnt want to pay 400$ for an alternator. Id still like to rebuild the old one too
Old 11-14-2022, 04:48 PM   #6
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil nick View Post
I dont know who actually made it but it says manufactured in France if that helps.
I was going to try and search around and see if mice chewed through any wires or anything else after if this doesnt work
I think when the Yaris was still made By Toyota they were built in France the last few years.
Old 11-14-2022, 05:00 PM   #7
bronsin

Quote:
actually one of the guys did say somethign about the year. Ive been looking all around for the part. Didnt want to pay 400$ for an alternator. Id still like to rebuild the old one too
$400 for a Toyota alternator is cheap as far as I understand it! I believe there was a recent post where someone paid $700 for an alternator at Toyota for a genuine Toyota alternator. I wouldn’t want to pay $400 either! I have a bad feeling The fact that the car was made in France it’s final years when Toyota actually built it is somehow responsible for the parts scarcity.

I wish I could help you find parts to rebuild your alternator! But I’ve never done that and I wouldn’t know where to look. For a Toyota alternator to go bad in six years seems not like a long time at all.

I wonder why you couldn’t use an alternator from say a 2012 to 2015 Yaris? Did they ever explain that at the parts store?
Old 11-14-2022, 05:01 PM   #8
bronsin

Could you have your old alternator tested somehow? In the meantime I guess you can look for Chewed wires

Good luck and tell us what happens!
Old 11-14-2022, 10:48 PM   #9
evil nick

Quote:
Could you have your old alternator tested somehow? In the meantime I guess you can look for Chewed wires

Good luck and tell us what happens!
Thanks. I had it tested at a few autozones and all 3 said alternator. I'm hoping the one I got off rock is actually the right one.

I'll keep all updated!
Old 11-14-2022, 10:49 PM   #10
evil nick

Quote:
$400 for a Toyota alternator is cheap as far as I understand it! I believe there was a recent post where someone paid $700 for an alternator at Toyota for a genuine Toyota alternator. I wouldn’t want to pay $400 either! I have a bad feeling The fact that the car was made in France it’s final years when Toyota actually built it is somehow responsible for the parts scarcity.

I wish I could help you find parts to rebuild your alternator! But I’ve never done that and I wouldn’t know where to look. For a Toyota alternator to go bad in six years seems not like a long time at all.

I wonder why you couldn’t use an alternator from say a 2012 to 2015 Yaris? Did they ever explain that at the parts store?
I remember when I did my carolla a few years ago it was like 150$ for it new. These prices are extreme.
Old 11-19-2022, 09:30 AM   #11
evil nick

Putting in the new alternator later today. Funny enough it turns out the one off rock literally was shipped from ONE town over. I'm deciding whether to take the core and see if I can just bring it to the place or keep it as a spare still just in case. I'll let everyone know if it turn out to be the issue. I haven't been able to get under the car to look for wires yet but it's still been driving fine. Prob charging just enough but not fully. Never took the multimeter out to check honestly
Old 11-19-2022, 09:39 AM   #12
bronsin

You might try to search YouTube for alternator problems. How to test alternators and what to do if you’re having problems with an alternator. Look for when your alternator might be bad but it’s really Some thing else.
Old 11-19-2022, 10:55 AM   #13
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Never took the multimeter out to check honestly
Sadly, that right there was a missed opportunity. I'd quickly put the old one right back in and test it. Will quickly tell you if alternator is putting anything out. End all speculation immediately. Got the tool, use it.