Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
TimmyTwo2

Drives: 2012 Yaris LE LB
Send a message via AIM to TimmyTwo2 Send a message via Yahoo to TimmyTwo2
Exhaust Question

Just wondering since I saw an SRT4 while walking to my car after work. Could I do straight pipe back to a 3" or 4" resonated tip on my Yaris just like the SRT4 (not the Caliber based one but the Neon based one)? Biggest thing is will it past noise laws and inspection rules in NC? I'm going for the throaty sound but clean (the tip should clean it up) but still need to be legal.
TimmyTwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
TPA5
Wait, what?

Drives: NULL
You mean a straight pipe cat-back or axle-back? Technically, you can do anything. I'm not sure about sound, but with a 3 or 4 inch tip it would be loud. Not sure how throaty, it is only a 1.5L engine, so it will sound abit buzzy. Right now I'm running without a muffler, and it's fairly loud. Probably not loud enough to get pulled over for. It all depends on the noise restrictions where you live.

If you got the scratch, a Medalion Touring exhaust would give you that deep tone, while remaining legal for sound laws and inspections.
TPA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
CPALK719

Drives: 2012 toyota yaris
not sure if you'd want an exhaust that big in diameter, considering it will sound pretty loud.
why not remove the resonator, and keep the stock exhaust system. my friend did it on his is250 and it sounds great without having that aftermarket look to it.

If you have emissions, i would consult with someone who knows better about that in your peticular area. here in south florida we dont have any emissions so, whatever type of exhaust you have will fly.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
in NC the muffler is considered a wear item and can be replaced. different counties do different things for the emissions and noise ordinances (that may be city to city).

I am in rockingham county and all they do for emissions is the OBD2 check to make sure the system is in the "ready" position.

one thing I have seriously been thinking of doing is just taking off the axle back part (at the two bolts) and welding in place a flowmaster or the likes. realize this isn't something that would be necessarily easy as you would want to try and reuse the hangers and what not but it would be much better than the so dubbed "pumpkin" muffler.

good to see another carolina guy out there.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
carolinablue

Drives: 2012
Hey BEEF I am the next couty over, Caswell, Greetings.
Timmy Two 2 emissions in NC all depend on the county you are in best to check with an inspection station in the county you live in to find out what you can legally get away with as the fines for illegal exhaust systems can be pretty step.
carolinablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
pretty sure caswell doesn't do anything for emissions. I used to live there myself. I miss the $9.10 inspections.

most places only care about exhaust if you mess with the cat. that is where the fines really are and if you are a shop the fines are crazy. I have heard that if you mess with the cat prematurely and you are doing it as a business, the fine can be $2500 or better.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
carolinablue

Drives: 2012
There are emission zones in North Carolina, with rural areas having much less strict regulation than more urban areas.
carolinablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
it is so sick people think they have the right to tell us what we can do with our own property.

But in reality, how strict in NC compared to others? Might end up there depending on what happens.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
TimmyTwo2

Drives: 2012 Yaris LE LB
Send a message via AIM to TimmyTwo2 Send a message via Yahoo to TimmyTwo2
Thanks everyone, I'm leaning towards a center exit exhaust from micro image, it looks sweet with the dual tips coming out. I was thinking catback to a tip but inspection would probably cause issues, I'm in Mecklenburg county in the city of Charlotte, I think they're pretty strict. I think the silliest is charging to test aftermarket tint, glad I went with a car that has 50 state tint from Toyota.
TimmyTwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote