Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-22-2008, 12:13 AM   #1
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Axle Back Question

Is the Axle back gonna give the car a lil extra umph or is it just for sound, because the factory piping will still be in place before that which is what 1.5 " or so. I"m just thinking about getting a generic muffler for now and save my money for when i replace from the headers on back with that nice magnaflow setup they have. i still have about a year and a half till i can yank off the header, tht's when my warrenty goes out.

Generic one i found. i know it'll need some custom work to install but shouldn't be more than a few bucks for the piping.
Dimension:
2.5" Inlet, 4" Tip, 18.5" Tip to Tip Long, 5.5" Width
Should give a deep tone.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:19 AM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
An axle-back is basically for sound and looks, I'm going to say you might get 1-2 whp, but others will have other opinions about this.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:27 AM   #3
_S7V7N_

That's what i figured, on another note the pipe from the axle back will have to be custom built cause they don't make an actual axle back " adapter " do they ?

Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
Old 12-22-2008, 12:49 AM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
You can have a shop cut off the factory muffler and weld it on in its position.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:53 AM   #5
gwasabi

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue LB
when i put my greddy tic in i felt a little bit more back pressure. but it wasn't really THAT significant. Just a little nudge
gwasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:21 AM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

Back pressure is a bad thing, better exhaust velocity is a good thing. I think you might have used the wrong term.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:45 AM   #7
_S7V7N_

cool deal thanks for the feedback guys.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #8
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i think just a muffler would help open up the top end of the yaris powerband....ever see the oem muffler? its super restrictive

however, you will gain more power if you replace the piping from the resonator back...as the res is 2" thru and the piping beyond is 1.75"

imo, if youre just going to replace the axleback, you likley wouldnt see much of a difference between an axleback and just replacing the muffler...
Old 12-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #9
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Here's a vid of my TRD axelback in action. It's got a nice fat pipe going to the muffler straight out the box.....
No muss, no fuss. Two bolts and your golden.
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:14 AM   #10
1nz

Drives: Vios
mine gained 4whp, cz when i took it of i only got 98hp, with free flow axle back i got 102.8whp

greddyvios.blogspot.com
1nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:39 PM   #11
mastaofdisasta

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Back pressure is a bad thing, better exhaust velocity is a good thing. I think you might have used the wrong term.
from what i heard...or rather what i was told is that backpressure can be a good thing and that engines do need a certain bit to perform optimally. Now dont quote me on this and i could be wrong...but going with larger exhaust on bigger v8 v6 engines is fine, or turboed supercharged engines, but on engines like ours, i think losing backpressure can actually be not good, therefore backpressure can be a good thing?
mastaofdisasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:26 AM   #12
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastaofdisasta View Post
from what i heard...or rather what i was told is that backpressure can be a good thing and that engines do need a certain bit to perform optimally. Now dont quote me on this and i could be wrong...but going with larger exhaust on bigger v8 v6 engines is fine, or turboed supercharged engines, but on engines like ours, i think losing backpressure can actually be not good, therefore backpressure can be a good thing?
naturally aspirated engines can still benefit from an increase in exhaust pipe diameter as they are typically made conservatively small from the factory. yaris is 1.75" stock and i cant see any problems w/ going up to 2"....2.25" might be ok too, but id lean towards 2", personally.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:15 PM   #13
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastaofdisasta View Post
Might be true, but a small increase in piping diameter should help rather than hinder the performance.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:04 AM   #14
Never Enough

Drives: Jbody
agreed ^
Never Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:22 PM   #15
Split

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Exclamation

dont put an exhaust on the yaris! if anything put on a nitto mid-pipe. when i had the nitto mid-pipe it actually made the car quieter and deeper. the only thing is it made it idle rough when holding the brake while in drive. this might not be a concern for standard transmission owners. the aftermarket exhausts sound kinda ricey except for maybe the vitz one and the trd ones. the nitto one i have is kinda ricey sounding, i think i'm going to add another resonator to quiet it down.

my is300 on the other hand... even with a complete straight pipe its deep! (watch in high quality)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D29N...e=channel_page
Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:38 PM   #16
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split View Post
dont put an exhaust on the yaris! if anything put on a nitto mid-pipe. when i had the nitto mid-pipe it actually made the car quieter and deeper. the only thing is it made it idle rough when holding the brake while in drive. this might not be a concern for standard transmission owners. the aftermarket exhausts sound kinda ricey except for maybe the vitz one and the trd ones. the nitto one i have is kinda ricey sounding, i think i'm going to add another resonator to quiet it down.

my is300 on the other hand... even with a complete straight pipe its deep! (watch in high quality)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D29N...e=channel_page
ya, but thats 4cyl vs i-6...hard to compare tones

honestly, most 4 cyl engines w/ an exhaust sound similar....and would certainly sound ricey if youre used to a 6cyl's sound
Old 01-18-2009, 04:35 AM   #17
Split

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
ya, but thats 4cyl vs i-6...hard to compare tones

honestly, most 4 cyl engines w/ an exhaust sound similar....and would certainly sound ricey if youre used to a 6cyl's sound
generally true.. although boxer motors sound quiet different, and turbo 4cyl's. the wrx sti is ridiculously deep and throaty! the new 09 sentra se-r spec-v is an NA 2.5L i4 and its less ricey sounding too. The yaris doesnt sound bad at WOT, especially for a 1.5L.. and especially in car. I bet those tanabe's sound really good in cabin.
Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:23 AM   #18
Kaotic Lazagna

My Magnaflow does not sound anywhere near ricey. It's nice and deep, a bit on the quiet side tho.