Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-23-2007, 11:49 AM   #1
heistp

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.3hb
ice Link vs USA SPEC vs Toyota iPod adapters

Does anyone know the details about each of these iPod adapters, or have experiences good or bad with any of them? It seems the product literature on each of these isn't detailed enough to tell me exactly what they do and if they'll work properly or not.

1) USA SPEC PA12-TOY (usd$190): http://www.usaspec.com/ipod.html

2) ice Link Plus (unsure of price for Toyota model): http://www.dension.com/icelinkplus.php

3) The Toyota iPod adapter (dealer wants 4800 Czech crowns, or US$240 for part).

Or is there another adapter that's better? I'm wondering about:

- Integration with type-1 factory radio in 2007 Yaris (European 5 door)
- Charging support
- Display of artist/track
- Using radio controls
- Possibility of aux audio input (preferably 1/8" stereo jack) in addition to iPod input (the European model Yaris does not come with aux input like the US models)
heistp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
WHY GET THESE ADAPTER.. JUST GET AN FM TRANSMITTER FOR YOUR IPOD ITS ABOUT $25-$60 DOLLARS CANADIAN... MAX ABOUT $50.00 USD...
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
heistp

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
WHY GET THESE ADAPTER.. JUST GET AN FM TRANSMITTER FOR YOUR IPOD ITS ABOUT $25-$60 DOLLARS CANADIAN... MAX ABOUT $50.00 USD...
I do already have an FM transmitter. I like it and it does work, but the sound quality isn't great as FM's frequency range and noise characteristics are not anywhere near that of a line level input. Plus on long trips I have to change stations frequently to avoid collisions with existing radio stations. Also, being able to use the radio to control the iPod and having the artist/track displayed on the radio would allow me to concentrate more on driving.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
marcus
toyota

digital!!!

sorry i should have mentioned DIGITAL fm transmitter..
theyre still selling analog ones.. theyre no good fuzzy digital fm transmitter works great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heistp View Post
I do already have an FM transmitter. I like it and it does work, but the sound quality isn't great as FM's frequency range and noise characteristics are not anywhere near that of a line level input. Plus on long trips I have to change stations frequently to avoid collisions with existing radio stations. Also, being able to use the radio to control the iPod and having the artist/track displayed on the radio would allow me to concentrate more on driving.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:47 PM   #5
heistp

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
sorry i should have mentioned DIGITAL fm transmitter..
theyre still selling analog ones.. theyre no good fuzzy digital fm transmitter works great!
Do you mean one that transmits an HD radio signal? Otherwise, it isn't digital. I haven't heard of this and can't find one like this for the iPod. Can you send a link to one of these? And I don't know if other Yaris's have it, but I don't think mine has HD radio.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
either way, the whole idea of getting a cable/adapter is to be able to use your head-unit for controlling the ipod/songs.

have you checked the back of your stereo for an aux input? (sometimes features are simply never utilized)

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:18 PM   #7
heistp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodkalush View Post
either way, the whole idea of getting a cable/adapter
is to be able to use your head-unit for controlling the ipod/songs.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodkalush View Post
have you checked the back of your stereo for an aux input? (sometimes features are simply never utilized)
I've only got the block connector, which I'm assuming you can connect a CD changer to. According to the literature for these iPod adapters, they convert the iPod's information to what the CD changer would provide.

The only thing I know about Toyota's adapter is what is attached, which came from Toyota. I'm still trying to find out how you control this thing and what it displays on the radio, if anything. i.e. its features.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf iPod_PZ473_00261_00_AIM_000877_0.pdf (868.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 04-25-2007, 02:39 AM   #8
heistp

Owner's manual for Toyota iPod adapter (Europe only?) attached...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EN_ipod_UM_4.pdf (88.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: pdf englishver.tabe.pdf (78.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 04-25-2007, 11:43 AM   #9
marcus
toyota

well not ur i pod!!

its actually the fm transmitter..they came up with analog..and now we got digital.. alot cleaner signal than analog.. best buy sells it and as future shop..
\

Quote:
Do you mean one that transmits an HD radio signal? Otherwise, it isn't digital. I haven't heard of this and can't find one like this for the iPod. Can you send a link to one of these? And I don't know if other Yaris's have it, but I don't think mine has HD radio.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:57 AM   #10
ricepower

Drives: Yaris Y Sedan
Send a message via MSN to ricepower Send a message via Yahoo to ricepower
Quote:
Exactly.

I've only got the block connector, which I'm assuming you can connect a CD changer to. According to the literature for these iPod adapters, they convert the iPod's information to what the CD changer would provide.

The only thing I know about Toyota's adapter is what is attached, which came from Toyota. I'm still trying to find out how you control this thing and what it displays on the radio, if anything. i.e. its features.
Do you have same manual for the SEDAN EURODM model?

Last edited by ricepower; 04-27-2007 at 06:57 AM. Reason: YARIS SEDAN IPOD ADAPTER
ricepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:23 PM   #11
tealio

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
i just picked up a DICE ELECTRONICS integration kit at this place that was closing down for $80. it was a very easy install, just pull the stereo out, plug it in and then run the wires wherever you want.

it charges, skips songs, fast forwards songs, and skips to the next playlist. the only feature it doesn't have is text to the head unit. with the yaris, i'm not sure if any of then kits that plug into the factory system will send text to the head unit because of the way it uses your cd changer capability.

i may be wrong about this, but all i have seen the display shows cd changer controls.

all in all, an awesome buy i would say because i can skip songs and it automatically turns itself off and on.
tealio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:41 AM   #12
heistp

Quote:
Originally Posted by du2efs View Post
Do you have same manual for the SEDAN EURODM model?
I do not have the manual for the sedan model, but info@toyota.cz was very helpful in responding with the information, and handed the question in English.