Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-07-2007, 12:33 AM   #19
RogueYaris

Drives: 2015 Abs Red
fuck it, just drive the damn thing. if it's bothering you so much, just do what you have to do to stay sane. we're all gonna die eventually, saving a couple bucks on gas isn't going to make one damn bit of difference.

Last edited by RogueYaris; 06-07-2007 at 12:33 AM. Reason: spelling
RogueYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:21 AM   #20
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Whoa there, folks. Beyond feeding money into the oil economy, and beyond saving money on fuel, there is the environment. Every gallon we burn through emits 20 pounds of CO2 into our atmosphere.

If you would like to live longer and healthier and have a nice place to live, and wish the same for your children and your grandchildren and so on, then think before you mash the pedal.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:34 AM   #21
sort_o_sane
Yaris GSR LOL

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch
My first tank in my car I got 28 MPG. Since then it has only increased and I don't drive slow. Can't actually, my foot is really made out of lead or atleast that is what my wife tells me it's made out of. And something about my head in that equation, just cannot remember how it goes...
Old 06-07-2007, 07:02 AM   #22
sambo42xa

Drives: 07 YARIS Automatic/LiftBac/Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
Don't worry! I averaged 32-35 the 1st 4,000, since then 37-42 and have 9,300 miles now. Yes I changed my driving a bit, but not that much....42 psi in the tires,more used to the car, and I think it finally broke in, and may still be improving.
With me, it is exactly what churp said.....the first 4k was 32-35, and I got now 13k and get about 37-42. BUT I do not drive the city (Boston) like You do, but instead the highway (93) everyday to and from work. Also, I do not do the 42 psi thingy.
The car definatley improved with gas mileage.

sambo42xa
Old 06-07-2007, 10:27 AM   #23
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
Considering how new the car is and your driving conditions, 28 is to be expected. You're only 5 mpg off the mark from the old EPA city estimates (which is 34). And it sounds like you may be driving in the worst of the possible city conditions.

28 in the city is actually good, the more I think about it. The only thing that could possibly do better is a hybrid, so it's not like you've got many other options, other than relocating.

Or you could just take the bus/train and quit worrying about it. I would imagine a place like Boston has a pretty expansive transit system. If driving is that expensive and frustrating, why bother?

~YR
Old 06-07-2007, 10:38 AM   #24
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillydot View Post
i am soooo fed up with everyone darting in front of me cause i'm going so slow!
Hmmm, does this speak on the duality of this situation, or am I just reading to much in too it?
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:17 PM   #25
Lillydot
Absolutely Red!!!

Drives: 07 A/T Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Revenge View Post
Or you could just take the bus/train and quit worrying about it. I would imagine a place like Boston has a pretty expansive transit system. If driving is that expensive and frustrating, why bother?

~YR
in the summer i do go a month taking the train, but then it takes an hour and a half to get to work and i'm stuck standing the whole time squished up against the weird guy with the stinky breath and the ignorant kid who keeps whacking me with his backback.

i'm happy now. i'm driving the way i like. and i figure i have to give up something to get something. i give up the (supposedly) great mpg for the ability to park damn near anywhere cause my car is so small. it works out!
Lillydot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:32 PM   #26
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Yep, the liftback is the perfect vehicle to take into the core. I've got the 5dr and the interior is just as spacious as a regular sedan which is amazing considering that the footprint is about the same size as the mini-cooper. Can't get any smarter then that, unless you get the Mercedes Smart,which actually isn't that smart (unless they can bring the price down).

28mpg isn't great, but after factoring in all the negatives, it's the kind of mileage I'd expect. Negatives being; automatic transmission, stop-and-go driving,AC blasting, engine that hasn't been broken in yet (it take about 15000 miles or more for the engine to loosen up). Note: In the same scenario, a manual transmission would get about 32mpg (and 34mpg once the engine got some mileage on it).

Many of us are getting close 40mpg on the forum, but that's cause of the highway driving or the lack of stop-and-go. The Yaris doesn't have a lot of initial power for take-off, but once it gets going, it does so very efficiently and quickly.

Regarding oil change, I'd follow Toyota. You're going to want the engine to brake-in as quickly as possible and if Toyota has a special brake-in formula, then you need to take advantage of that, especially when you're already complaining about gas consumption.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:05 AM   #27
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
I've always gotten around 40 miles to the gallon. Even the first days of driving. What eats up gas the most by far is quick acceleration. In any gear.

I'm actually getting above 40 miles to the gallon now after 8,000 miles. I live in the country. But I do have to do city driving when I go to town.

YOu might try this stuff. Lucas fuel treatment. Since I've been using it the last two months my car does seem to have more pep and better gas milage. http://lucasoil.hodgsoncorp.com/luca..._treatment.htm
foober is offline   Reply With Quote