Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-22-2008, 08:26 AM   #1
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Observations on LB turbulence

Noticed on the way home that my rear window gets dirty very fast. I'd be willing to speculate that the laminar air flow over the car does not recombine near the tail, leading to vortices just behind the hatch.

Wonder whether some sort of base bleed or disruption of flow near the hatch might improve drag characteristics?

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
several people have messed around with vortex generators but I have no idea if they did any actual aerodynamic testing

Due to the sudden dropoff of the rear hatch, we can't expect great aerodynamics back there sadly, it is one of the drawbacks of the hatchback form factor. Spoilers can only help so much, I have one but the rear glass still turns to a mess real fast...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:14 AM   #3
jclo3313
Super Moderator

Drives: Absolutely red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to jclo3313
It's a Yaris man. How much of your driving is done above 55mph? The DCOE really doesn't matter that much for in town driving. To clear your back window of excess debris you could add a downward facing wind deflectoe similar to that used on an SUV.

Obama Can't Gymkhana!
jclo3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:45 AM   #4
TheUnGroomed

Drives: 08 Meteorite LB
Send a message via AIM to TheUnGroomed
On Friday I did some driving in some light snow and I saw a little bit of a swirl back there. I guess if a spoiler could be extended to keep the air attached, it could help keep the window clean.
TheUnGroomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:39 AM   #5
metalshark
MetalShark

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
LB aerodynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
actually Gene the turbulence doesn't seem that bad, at least it is symmetrical in nature, I've driven behind many Yarii here in Montreal both in snow and rain conditions. I admit the window gets dirty pretty fast. However if you have a chance to see a Yaris in rain from behind you will notice that the airflow goes around rather nicely and evenly. In my Yaris' case my fin antenna seems to help split the air evenly, but it might just be me
When I was in college I asked a Prof about the vehicular aerodynamics. He said for the airflow to recombine in laminar flow behind a car the boat tail would have to be 20' long. I guess that's why the EV1 and the '99 Buick Rive do so well in a wind tunnel. That's why my Pinto was more aerodynamic placed backward in the tunnel than it was in its normal mode of travel. There wasn't any NHRA rules preventing backwards body placement but no one competed that way.
Absolutely red, Drawtite hitch, CAI, Insulated Header, Amsoil 5w-30, Mag-drain plug, Red-Line MT-90 tranny oil, Scotch-Guard, Window Tint, Dash rug, Custom short throw shifter, Lowered OEM arm rest, Super-Turbo muffler/w chrome slash cut tip., TRD rear sway bar, sticky pads, front shock tower bar, RS grill badge, VVT-i emblems, Second tire set from Tirerack.com, DISABLED DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS, platform- style locking custom bike rack. 86K miles so far. 5 years use now on ceramic wrapped insulated stainless-steel header.
metalshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
I noticed a slight improvement when I added the lip spoiler, but the back window still gets pretty dirty.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:37 PM   #7
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I cut roughly half of the accumulation on and half of the misting behind my LB simply by adding on the OEM mud flaps. That means that much of the turbulence comes from underneath the car.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:13 PM   #8
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
I cut roughly half of the accumulation on and half of the misting behind my LB simply by adding on the OEM mud flaps. That means that much of the turbulence comes from underneath the car.
Are you being ironic, Brian? :)

Could also mean that most of the crap comes from the rear wheels, which when you vent it downwards doesn't contaminate the rear glass.

Gene
Old 11-25-2008, 09:05 AM   #9
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Noticed on the way home that my rear window gets dirty very fast. I'd be willing to speculate that the laminar air flow over the car does not recombine near the tail, leading to vortices just behind the hatch.

Wonder whether some sort of base bleed or disruption of flow near the hatch might improve drag characteristics?

Gene
Gene...... have you ever considered driving for an entire week in reverse? Do you think the front end would suffer the same contaminated fate?

I have the small (tiny) factory lip spoiler and that seems to take the brunt of the dirt (where the rain does not hit).

It is a vacuum back there. I have noticed when I do a complete glass cleaning that the dirt from the back window is blackened from the exhaust fumes.

Just one of those things we have to endure....... until you report back on the reverse drivinf technique!

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Are you being ironic, Brian? :)

Could also mean that most of the crap comes from the rear wheels, which when you vent it downwards doesn't contaminate the rear glass.

Gene
No, there is no irony there. I did not expect that kind of result from adding the mud flaps but I got it.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:59 AM   #11
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
Gene...... have you ever considered driving for an entire week in reverse? Do you think the front end would suffer the same contaminated fate?
I've been told with US ATs that several miles worth of reverse driving will destroy the transmission. Something to do with the pump not running properly in reverse.

Think I'll pass on seeing whether Toyota considering driving backwards for long periods of time to be "abuse" under the warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
It is a vacuum back there. I have noticed when I do a complete glass cleaning that the dirt from the back window is blackened from the exhaust fumes.

Just one of those things we have to endure....... until you report back on the reverse drivinf technique!
Base bleed.... Use a belly pan to convey ram air into the back section, delivering pressure to the rear area.

Gene
Old 11-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #12
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Agreed, but be careful. Belly pans can play their own mean tricks to the aerodynamics of a car!

"Filling in" that vacuum can be accomplished in a few ways, but smooth air is mandatory for the best results. I contend that the good mileage I get is because of the shape of our sedan: the extra length ("... 20' long...") and slope of the back is better streamlining than the blunt rear on the hatch. The rear window doesn't get dirty for the same reasons. So the chore becomes, making the air think you are driving a sedan, and I really think it takes a wind tunnel to do that properly, rather than with the wannabe aerodynamic packages available now.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:25 PM   #13
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
I use this handy dandy doohicky. I get amazing results and sometimes a compliment or two
Attached Images

KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:53 AM   #14
GeneW
Banned

I have a wiper. I thought that the deposit of road gunk - mainly calcium chloride and sodium chloride that also eats Yaris - was an artifact of drag.

Thanks to TLyttle about the word on belly pans. I had forgotten that nasty thing called "Ground Effect". That's all I need, to have the damn thing float!

Gene
Old 11-27-2008, 11:47 AM   #15
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Funny thing about vacuum: it doesn't really care where the air comes from, and under the car is as good a place as any, hence the accumulation on the back window. Decades ago, I had an old Volvo wagon whose roof design didn't allow for a deflector over the rear door, so I used two small aftermarket deflectors, one each side, to infill the rear window. It certainly created some weird mud patterns, but it did keep the window relatively clear.

The mudflaps also change the air patterns in a positive way, but I am not sure how much drag that would add. You just know that someone will think, "Whut's good, more's better", and add a full-width mudflap; it might just work. Like I said, a tunnel would tell all.

And "floating" can be very disturbing alright! I built an aluminum duner in the 60s, and the front fenders had a tendency to lighten up the car at ~75mph. First hint was the steering being ineffective. Nerve wracking....
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:11 PM   #16
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
Use the poor mans wind tunnel . Use surveyors tape to make streamers . Of course you will have to elevate the streamers about 1 " from the surface . Then follow your car while videoing the sequence .

I've thought about using CF canards right in front of the tail lights to create more downforce , but you could easily redirect .
Old 11-28-2008, 07:29 PM   #17
sketch182

Drives: 2008 Silver Hatchback
I have had many a hatchback including a VW Rabbit, AMC Gremiln, smart car and Yaris. All of them have pulled the road moisture onto the back window. The wiper is the best solution.
sketch182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:04 PM   #18
CCILovePinkCC
JuicyCoutureGirl

Drives: 2009 Blazing Blue LB
I do have to use the wiper on the back window quite a bit.
I didn't realize that all Yari (yep, I say the plural for Yaris is Yari) don't have wipers on the back.
CCILovePinkCC is offline   Reply With Quote