Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-20-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
jocahontas

Drives: yaris 3 door liftback
Sunroof - Toyota or After Market?

Saw another thread on sunroofs but can't find this question answered. If I were to purchase a 3 door liftback I was told by the dealer that I can get it with a sunroof. From everywhere I've read, Yaris does not come with this option.

So would Toyota be installing it or would they have an after market sunroof installed? Wondering if I am being lied to.

I heard after market ones leak. Would Toyota installed ones leak too? Or should I just forget the whole sunroof thing?

Advice?
jocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
not an option from the factory in the US..... long as you go to a reputable place, an aftermarket one is fine

and go for a moonroof.... sunroofs are so 80/90's
Old 06-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Toyota would get it aftermarket but charge you full price.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
Toyota would get it aftermarket but charge you full price.
full price? more like triple price
Old 06-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The place where I had mine installed does most of the "dealer" installs for our area. Webasto is the best name in sun/moon roofs and is the manufacturer of most OEM ones.

Check out the Webasto dealer locator and get a price from your nearest shop and see how it compares with the dealer's quote:

http://www.webastoshowroom.com/locat...ator_main.html
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
either way it will leak eventually...
Old 06-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothman86 View Post
either way it will leak eventually...
True. Good ones have a catch tray and drain system to get rid of the water that makes it past the seal.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
jocahontas

Drives: yaris 3 door liftback
I sent Toyota an email and here was there response:

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A.

We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your inquiry.

We do apologize; Toyota does not offer a moon roof for the Yaris.

We apologize; we do not recommend using after market parts/accessories in or on our vehicles. We have not tested after market parts/accessories; therefore, we do not have comprehensive information on how they may affect the operation of your vehicle. Modifications could affect the vehicle’s performance, safety or durability, and may violate government regulations. In addition, damage or performance problems resulting from the modification may not be covered under warranty.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us by responding to this email or by calling 1-800-331-4331. We are available from 5 AM to 6 PM, Pacific Time, Monday through Friday and from 7 AM to 4 PM, Pacific Time, on Saturdays.

Toyota Customer Experience
jocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:57 PM   #9
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
That would have been an expected response if they don't offer it as a stock part. They won't recommend or suggest any product they don't offer stock since there could be liability issues there. I have personally seen quite a few little Yari running around with sunroofs, and they all look REALLY nice. I have been battling with myself for the last year about getting one myself ... I am just doing some research. Almost all of the sunroofs have long warranties (5 years +) and most places that install them also offer some kind of warranty. I think if you decide to get one, it will be fine. As long as you're OK with it leaking someday (because it will ... sooner or later .... lol) I say go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocahontas View Post
I sent Toyota an email and here was there response:

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A.

We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your inquiry.

We do apologize; Toyota does not offer a moon roof for the Yaris.

We apologize; we do not recommend using after market parts/accessories in or on our vehicles. We have not tested after market parts/accessories; therefore, we do not have comprehensive information on how they may affect the operation of your vehicle. Modifications could affect the vehicle’s performance, safety or durability, and may violate government regulations. In addition, damage or performance problems resulting from the modification may not be covered under warranty.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us by responding to this email or by calling 1-800-331-4331. We are available from 5 AM to 6 PM, Pacific Time, Monday through Friday and from 7 AM to 4 PM, Pacific Time, on Saturdays.

Toyota Customer Experience
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote