Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-31-2007, 06:06 PM   #1
davidcraig2003

Drives: Yaris
Plastic interior

The whole plastic interior of the Yaris is gettin to me a bit. Its a 2004 model i have, which may be have been the Echo in the states? Between the center dials, and the fact that the whole dash is the one color, it just makes the whole car seem very cold + flimsy inside. Anyone ever done anythin to the dash in terms of covers or whatever. Anything to give it a bit more character!
davidcraig2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:30 PM   #2
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
all that trim pops off, pull it out, clean it good and paint it. quick and simple.
Ive done it and I know some others have as well. I couldnt handle all that simple grey for more than a couple of weeks.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:41 PM   #3
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
you can also upolster, although much more work
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:54 AM   #4
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
I don't know if these folks ship outside of Japan, but they have a lot of cool stuff.

http://store.yahoo.co.jp/stage2/vitz-new.html

... but be careful - examine the photos carefully for fitiment.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:06 AM   #5
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
yah, i'm not too big on the idea of painting OEM pieces (makes it harder to sell to non-modders)... sooo versus having to paint, or buy expensive imports I would give vinyling a shot.

http://www.rvinyl.com/ has tons-o-information/products for just and occasion

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:19 AM   #6
Speedz
Will work for Yaris...

Woah... they sure dont come cheap even after the conversion rate excluding shipment...
Speedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:26 PM   #7
MrMondayNite

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
The part that disturbs me the most about the interior is the hard plastic door arm rest. You could say it's an enonomy car and thats why the hard plastic is there, but on top of the hard plastic armrest is the padded upholstery. On 99% of the cars out there they have some type of padded door armrest. So on the door the Yaris has hard plastic where it should be padded and cloth upholstery where is it should be hard plastic. anyone else agree or disagree with me?
04 BMW 330 XI (Traded in)
03 VW Jetta GLX VR6 (gave to Dad)
01 Civic EX (gave to Mom)
MrMondayNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:48 PM   #8
davidcraig2003

agree, unforunetly.
I was looking into the dash vinyls above. Look pretty interesting. I wonder if someone could help me with two questions about these :
1)They're more or less stickers yeah? Do they look ok in the end?
2) Its a UK 2004 Yaris T2 i have. Right hand drive, obviously, but the dash is slightly different. Im not sure if its this exact model that was the Echo? This is similar to my dash

(Mine is right hand drive)

Thanks!
Dave

Last edited by davidcraig2003; 02-01-2007 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:16 PM   #9
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
its all in the interest of providing a cheap product which will still look good after a lot of use. The fabric above the arm rests provides a bit of 'class' so to speak and the plastic arm rest wears incredibly well compared to the cheap vinyl / upholstery they would have to use to keep the car in the price range its in.
Painting the interior is alright, even for resale if you dont go to wild or overboard with it. I matched the exterior colour and dont find it out of place. I had a passenger that actually asked if it was stock.
You could vinyl the arm rests easily since they just snap off, just keep the foam from the joins or underneath the pieces.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:22 PM   #10
davidcraig2003

When you say 'paint' it, surely you dont literally mean to paint it? Sorry im new to all this mod stuff, its my first car! Don't you see stroke marks etc?
Old 02-01-2007, 05:08 PM   #11
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcraig2003 View Post
When you say 'paint' it, surely you dont literally mean to paint it? Sorry im new to all this mod stuff, its my first car! Don't you see stroke marks etc?
I think he doe's literally mean it. Don't do it though, it looks rediculous when modders spray can their interiors.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:18 PM   #12
davidcraig2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
I think he doe's literally mean it. Don't do it though, it looks rediculous when modders spray can their interiors.
I'd have thought so! But then again, i've never seen it done before.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:15 PM   #13
St_G

Drives: Black 2007 Yaris Liftback 1.5
My interior matches my exterior too: I bought a black car!
St_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:36 PM   #14
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMondayNite View Post
The part that disturbs me the most about the interior is the hard plastic door arm rest. You could say it's an enonomy car and thats why the hard plastic is there, but on top of the hard plastic armrest is the padded upholstery. On 99% of the cars out there they have some type of padded door armrest. So on the door the Yaris has hard plastic where it should be padded and cloth upholstery where is it should be hard plastic. anyone else agree or disagree with me?
I don't mind the hard plastic at all. I drove my old Camry nearly 200,000 miles. After time, there was a dent in the padded arm rest where my elbow hit it. I think this one should hold up better.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote