Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-21-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
CharlieBravo

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Chasing a Vibration

BACKGROUND: So I have had this vibration and sound for several months now and it started getting worse a couple of months ago (~Aug). It happens whenever I turn right. Not straight. Not turning left. Its a vibration and sound, sounds/feels like its coming from the left side (driver side) when it happens. It feels and sounds like when you go over rumble strips (the kind that are put on roads to warn/slow you down). Let's say going over rumble strips in your car is a 10 on a 1-10 scale, this would sound/feel like a 3-4. Car doesn't pull to either side. When I do make a left turn, it does feel like there is more resistance (like the car is slowing down more than normal). It does seem worse when I first get in the car. It seems I need to be going faster than 15 mph to get the effect.

TRY #1: After some research, I thought that the cause would be the driver side front bearing. I did the grab-the-wheel at 3-9 and 12-6 method...no play in the wheel. I decided to go ahead and change the bearing anyway. End result: no affect. Sound/vibration still there.

TRY #2 (Current Situation): Maybe its the passenger side bearing. Spinning the tire with the car jacked up, I can hear some grinding noise. So I decide to change out the bearing. When taking off the axle nut, I did not unstake it enough, so the nut actually chewed up threads on the spindle of the drive, CV axle. So, I ordered a new Passenger-side drive axle. I was just now able to pull out the old shaft. The oil is draining into a pan. My question at this point: Does the shaft seal seem okay? It looks dirty to me.

I welcome any inputs/thoughts/comments. I am a total noob for car maintenance. Yes, I think I bit off more than I can chew here. It took me 3 days to do the first bearing replacement. I'm going a week so far with the other replacement (4 days waiting for new axle to arrive). Sorry the pics are all sideways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-12-16_13-39-32_239.jpg (144.4 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 2019-12-16_13-36-37_656.jpg (115.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 2019-12-21_20-14-52_562.jpg (95.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 2019-12-21_20-15-00_352.jpg (117.9 KB, 68 views)
CharlieBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:15 PM   #2
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
From the fact the area around the shaft seal shows no signs of leaking I'd say the seal is perfectly good. I'd clean up the seal and check that you didn't deform it when taking the CV shaft out. Also remember to oil the seal on the inside lip before sliding the CV shaft back in.

From the symptoms you're describing I doubt that the from wheel bearings are the problem. Usually when wheel bearings are on the way out you'll get a whirring noise that can change frequency or come and go with speed. The fact your noise happens when turning I'd suspect it's more steering or suspension related. Check your inner and outer tie-rods for play, as well as the front sway bar links. On the suspension side check the lower ball joint for play with a prybar, the upper and lower control arm bushings for cracking, and the front strut bolts for tightness.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 04:20 PM   #3
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Inspect CV joints for wear?

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 05:45 PM   #4
CharlieBravo

I did find a small nick in the seal. Most likely caused by the pry bar when I was getting the axle out. I was unable to determine if it went all the way through or not. Guess time will tell....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-12-22_14-49-34_659.jpg (159.1 KB, 51 views)
Old 12-23-2019, 05:48 PM   #5
CharlieBravo

CV Axle looks fine. No tears in boots that were obvious to me. No signs of grease leakage. Pic is of the Passenger side axle that I just changed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-12-22_14-46-23_843.jpg (175.7 KB, 51 views)
Old 12-23-2019, 05:54 PM   #6
CharlieBravo

UPDATE:

Everything put back together. Fluid re-added to transmission. I'm guessing its about 0.1qt less than whatever it had at the start. Little bit spilled out before I could put the pan in place when I pulled the axle out. Little bit leaked out as I was pouring it back into the transmission. There's probably a little bit still in the pan, funnel, and tubing.

Took it for a test drive. Nothing fell apart...yet. And the noise/vibration seems to be gone! The only thing I know for sure is that the passenger bearing was failing. Making a grinding noise when free spinning the wheel and noticed grease coming out of the bearing when I pulled it out of the hub.

I guess mission accomplished for now.....